Author Topic: Next Mod  (Read 2968 times)

evil_O

• Modded
Next Mod
« on: November 03, 2004, 07:47:55 PM »
Not sure what to do here, so I am going to ask for input/ideas.  The car only has about 1400 miles on it so not sure I am about a chip or exhaust yet - if any warranty issues pop up I do not want there to be any question when it comes to the 'ol engine.  I have about 5 bills to play with (Thanks 03Indigo :mrgreen: ) so I am toying with a few ideas:

R3 Steering Wheel - ($575 w/airbag is about the best price I have found - but as you can see a little out of the budget)

Rear sway - Who makes one for the 4Motion 1.8T?  Have not been successful locating one - Cost?

Brake upgrade - Cross drilled/slotted cad coated rotors with PBR ceramic pads (front and rear) - w/ shipping right around $420 - Brakes are working good so I am not sure if this is something I want to do right now or wait to do it when I need 'em.

A8 dome light - ECSTuning - right around $90.

Chip - APR?  Cost?  $499 - pushing the limit once again.

Milltek exhaust - Strat has it for around $699 - obviously out of my price range but might consider

Getting side tracked from this post... so I am off to search for other possible mods.  If you have any thoughts or ideas... lemme know.

Thanks,

-Jer
2006 S4 Sprint Blue
2007 Subaru Wagon 2.5i
2008 Subaru Tribeca (5 pass. Ltd.)

"I hate cops."

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
Next Mod
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2004, 07:58:58 PM »
That steering wheel would be awesome, but yeah its a little pricey. I read somewhere that Avalon would be set up to do GIAC in the spring, but now I can't find the link (still looking). After the mods you have already purchased I think the chip would be a nice addition, and its always nice to have a local shop do it rather than fedEx your car's brain halfway across the country. ;)

As for the rear sway, maybe somebody over at clubb5 would know.
Quick! Everyone out of the universe!
New: 2006 A4 Avant
Old: 2001 A4 1.8TQM

Rocky Mountain Club B5

Next Mod
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2004, 07:58:58 PM »

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Next Mod
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2004, 08:01:58 PM »
Here's my $0.02:

Do some upgrades as you need them. Brakes are good for that. Suspension can ALWAYS  be better. You've got most of it done, so a rear sway could be a very good thing.

Check and see if you can compare the rear DT of a 1.8T vs. V6. You're kinda breaking new ground here so any research will be invaluable right now.

A chip with give you obvious power gains. I'm itching to get mine. I say go for it. However, I am going to try and get my exhuast upgraded before I chip. I've got a few things I plan on doing.

What you might want to consider are some engine cooling upgrades as well. Intake manifold, EFK...maybe.

You have a high dollar tag though so dangit...go get something big that you might not have the money for later and I suggest handling first and then power.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

evil_O

• Modded
Next Mod
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2004, 08:09:08 PM »
Quote from: "hotani"
That steering wheel would be awesome, but yeah its a little pricey.

I read somewhere that Avalon would be set up to do GIAC in the spring, but now I can't find the link (still looking). clubb5 would know.

I have a contact that I am working on to see if he can get me the wheel + bag at a cheaper rate by impoting directly out of Germany.  I will keep you up to date whether that works out or not.

Not so sure about your other suggestion.  I have not been impressed by calling twice and never getting a return phone call.  I hear Auto Sportwerks up North has APR.  Not sure if I wanna go this route so soon.  I just do not want to face ANY warranty issues should they come up.  I am sure a chip would not cause any issues but if a "normal" issue pops up I do not want the stealership pointing at that....

I am thinking rear sway as well... Maybe I will just call H&R and see what they have to say.  

Maybe a new diverter valve????  Forge?  Bailey?  Hyperboost?  Ohhhh the insanity!!! 8O

Exhaust sounds reasonable... and once I do chip, there will be nothing holding it back.... hmmmmm
2006 S4 Sprint Blue
2007 Subaru Wagon 2.5i

"I hate cops."

evil_O

• Modded
Next Mod
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2004, 08:11:36 PM »
Quote from: "jayryan"

You have a high dollar tag though so dangit...go get something big that you might not have the money for later and I suggest handling first and then power.

Thanks for your input.  The extra money for mods is kewl but it can be maddening....

*searching for H&R's number*
2006 S4 Sprint Blue
2007 Subaru Wagon 2.5i

"I hate cops."

evil_O

• Modded
Next Mod
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2004, 08:14:49 PM »
Just got off the phone with H&R and they do not make one for my ride - and they do not have any immediate plans for dev either....

hmmmmmm
2006 S4 Sprint Blue
2007 Subaru Wagon 2.5i

"I hate cops."

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
Next Mod
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2004, 08:23:33 PM »
Here is the link for Avalon's performance lineup. Yeah I totally understand not wanting to get into potential warranty fights with the stealership! My warranty will be up next summer and that chip is looking pretty good. :D

The rear sway would be a nice compliment to your suspension setup if you can find one - let us know what happens.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Next Mod
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2004, 08:26:37 PM »
before you buy a rear sway, see how it rides after shocks and springs, then make a decision.  there are some places in boulder that can custom bend one for you to match OEM specs and attachement, then you can find some bushings that will fit, like those from H-sport, and believe it or not, I bet it would not be that much more expensive.

Avalon is doing DiPP on the GIAC, but not sure if you want to do that with such a new car, your warranty is good for about  another 46K miles...so wait a bit on that one.  Not sure if I would do DiPP or an actual chip, so as not to fry an ecu becasue the tech was not really sure what he is doing.

You know what I think, brakes, but use up the OEM ones for now.  

So, that pretty much leaves the exhaust and R wheel.  Exhaust will add a little power, and will sound GREAT, but the look and feel of that wheel you will enjoy every day you drive it, hands down.

My vote, the R wheel and airbag.

cheers
jon

evil_O

• Modded
Next Mod
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2004, 08:51:19 PM »
Quote from: "03Indigo"
before you buy a rear sway, see how it rides after shocks and springs, then make a decision.

You know what I think, brakes, but use up the OEM ones for now.  

So, that pretty much leaves the exhaust and R wheel.  Exhaust will add a little power, and will sound GREAT, but the look and feel of that wheel you will enjoy every day you drive it, hands down.

My vote, the R wheel and airbag.

cheers
jon

I have to agree with you Jon.  I am leaning towards the steering wheel too.  I found a spot that sells a new airbag for $200 ($209 w/shipping).  The steering wheel is going to run me about $400.  I guess I just need to *COUGH* up the extra dough.  

I bet next June/July I will be doing the brake upgrade you and I talked about. :D

See you tonight.
2006 S4 Sprint Blue
2007 Subaru Wagon 2.5i

"I hate cops."

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
Next Mod
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2004, 09:20:59 PM »
I'll vote against the brakes.  Unless you track your car it will get you next to nothing.  Good tires will make a much bigger difference in your stopping distances.
My advice is to get used the new suspension.  Give it at least a couple months.  If, after that time, you drive your car hard through corners and don't like how much it plows, go for the rear anti-sway bar.  If balanced handling is important to you, it may be one of the best performance-improving mods for the dollar out there.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Next Mod
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2004, 09:57:20 PM »
Ditto what Pat said.
HOWEVER: I've found that I'm ready for a brake upgrade and to finish off my suspension. So maybe we can join at Jon's house in the spring and add some new brakes for ourselves.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.tw34k.com
Next Mod
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2004, 10:09:48 PM »
I called Neuspeed for ya, they don't make a rear sway for the 4mo either. I'd agree with Jon and Pat, make sure the car is pushing before throwing down on what will probably have to be a custom job for a rear sway.

Chip is a lot of fun, and a definitely kick in the pants difference. I chipped my car at around 5000 miles and chose the REVO software specifically because it's easily reversible if there is a problem, and won't show up on the VAG tool.

Exhaust is good for a few HP, but as you say, it's not cheap to get a worth while TB system.

More of the same as far as agreeing with what's been said about the brakes. Use up your OEM ones before throwing down on new ones. At least wear out the pads. ;) The new stock VW brakes are not bad and will hold up to a fair amount of abuse (unless you take them out on the track with traction control turned on like I did in Pueblo *wince*).

If you're into the steering wheel, and you aren't petrified by that price, DO IT. :)

I suppose if I had the money staring me in the face, I'd probably go for the chip/software if you already have the suspension is sorted.
Andrew

Truth has no place in a culture of advertising.
2003 GTI
1992 GTI

evil_O

• Modded
Next Mod
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2004, 02:24:00 PM »
OK... after long hard deliberation, this is what I am getting:

http://www.epimporters.com/products/description.php/II=77  8O

and YOU thought I was afraid to spend money.

***UPDATE***
For those of you that missed it.. the original price was over $4000.00!!
2006 S4 Sprint Blue
2007 Subaru Wagon 2.5i

"I hate cops."

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Next Mod
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2004, 03:52:37 PM »
$4K for that thing?  That has to be a typo, right?

• Heavily Modded
Next Mod
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2004, 03:59:30 PM »
LOL, 1/7th the price of an .:R32 is the steering wheel.

Note that's withOUT the bag ;)
Andrew

2003 GTI
1992 GTI

gragravar

• Supercar
Next Mod
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2004, 05:46:54 PM »
4K for that is insane.  

my OEM 18" RS4 rims (4 of them) - with Tires - cost less than that.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
Next Mod
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2004, 05:55:47 PM »
that has to be a typo, no way a steering wheel is $4k!!!

All the other wheels on there are in the $400 range.

• Heavily Modded
Next Mod
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2004, 06:06:46 PM »
Oh it totally is a typo. Still funny!
Andrew

2003 GTI
1992 GTI

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
Next Mod
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2004, 06:14:47 PM »
reminds me of the $9,000,550 Passat...  8O

It was such a classic screw up on edmunds.com I grabbed a screenshot:

evil_O

• Modded
Next Mod
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2004, 06:45:08 PM »
Definately a typo but given how much I have been researching the price of this dang thing... I found it all too funny.

I was like this in the middle of the night ---------> 8O
2006 S4 Sprint Blue
2007 Subaru Wagon 2.5i

"I hate cops."

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
Re: Next Mod
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2004, 08:12:22 PM »
Quote from: "JerBear"

R3 Steering Wheel - ($575 w/airbag is about the best price I have found - but as you can see a little out of the budget)

Don't recommend this -- it's pricey and you're losing the steering wheel stereo and cruise controls.

Rear sway - Who makes one for the 4Motion 1.8T?  Have not been successful locating one - Cost?

Hmmm, non-4mo cars benefit a lot with the rear sway bars because it is more front heavy and it's front wheel drive.  I got a 28mm Neuspeed for $200, I think, and I love it.

Brake upgrade - Cross drilled/slotted cad coated rotors with PBR ceramic pads (front and rear) - w/ shipping right around $420 - Brakes are working good so I am not sure if this is something I want to do right now or wait to do it when I need 'em.

I'd do it when it's time to replace your brakes, since your car is still very new.  The upgraded brakes would be safer, feel sportier, and the PBR pads would reduce on the amount of brake dust deposited on your wheels.

A8 dome light - ECSTuning - right around $90.

I highly recommend it -- relatively inexpensive and it produces a nice red ambient light at night.  Not as bright as I expected but I still like it.

Chip - APR?  Cost?  $499 - pushing the limit once again.

An engine chip would see the most gains in performance on a 1.8T.
Consider getting the Revo chip flashing (from Avalon).

Milltek exhaust - Strat has it for around $699 - obviously out of my price range but might consider

Better air flow and better performance, but also consider how loud and what kind of sound it makes.
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

evil_O

• Modded
Re: Next Mod
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2004, 09:22:08 PM »
Quote from: "aowhaus"

Don't recommend this -- it's pricey and you're losing the steering wheel stereo and cruise controls.

I hear ya on the pricey... but I will not be losing those controls.  I do not have stereo or cruise integrated on the steering wheel.
2006 S4 Sprint Blue
2007 Subaru Wagon 2.5i

"I hate cops."