Author Topic: 'Tis Done... almost  (Read 2480 times)

evil_O

• Modded
'Tis Done... almost
« on: November 05, 2004, 07:08:42 AM »
OK...

I just spent two days researching online the best price for the R-Line steering wheel AND airbag.  I am sure you can only imagine how many people I have talked to and how much information I have found out.  Here are just a few things, should you be interested:

-Airbag price ranges from 200-900 dollars!
-Not all OEM airbags will work - 4Spoke is out - duh!
-There are three different finish types for the airbag - smooth, perfed, and smooth but shiny - all are leather
-Steering wheel price varies from $329-4000+ (LOL for those that know what I am talking about)
-It is illegal for a junkyard or anyone else to sell used airbags - who knew?  It does not seem to be very well regulated however as you can find many on EBAY that just don't seem to care.
-Airbags have to be delivered via ground as they are a hazardous material - considered an explosive device --- oooh careful
-Steering wheel can be had in black or grey stitching - some charge more for black, some charge more for grey -  :?:
-Pre 2001.5 three spoke airbags are around 3 bills - after that date they jump to 600+ - same bag different part number.  In fact it has a new part number (sticker) OVER the OLD ONE!!!  Are you following that one????

In the end here is what I have so far:

R-Line steering wheel - $349
Airbag (3Spoke) - $200 (provided he still has one left and will hold it for me)  
If the above mentioned airbag is gone I will be buying one at $290 (ouch)

Best case total cost w/ shipping = $572.00
Wost case total w/shipping = $662.00

The only bad news on all of this is the wheel and bag will not be shipped 'til monday - meaning I will not be able to put it on the same day the suspension is going in.

Good news is... we will just have to have another garage day... hehehe

Jon? Jon?  Has anyone seen Jon? :D
2006 S4 Sprint Blue
2007 Subaru Wagon 2.5i
2008 Subaru Tribeca (5 pass. Ltd.)

"I hate cops."

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
'Tis Done... almost
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2004, 10:09:13 AM »
I'm right here, hehe.  As soon as that wheel comes on in, let me know, and we will hook you up and get that bad boy on the car!!!!  Just say the word.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

'Tis Done... almost
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2004, 10:09:13 AM »

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
'Tis Done... almost
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2004, 06:31:29 PM »
dangit - i just found out we have thursday off... still have to miss the garage day!  :evil: grrrrrr....

Glad you found a steering wheel and airbag (for less than $4k lol). I'm pretty sure that is the nicest wheel ever to grace a VW/Audi.
Quick! Everyone out of the universe!
New: 2006 A4 Avant
Old: 2001 A4 1.8TQM

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
'Tis Done... almost
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2004, 07:41:25 PM »
Jeremy, your avitar is kick ass....what movie is that from, it looks familiar, but I can not place it.....anyway, great choice!!!!

evil_O

• Modded
'Tis Done... almost
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2004, 08:05:31 PM »
Quote from: "03Indigo"
Jeremy, your avitar is kick ass....what movie is that from, it looks familiar, but I can not place it.....anyway, great choice!!!!

LOL... Thanks... I was up almost all night looking for that.  It is from "Reno 911" off of Comedy Central.

:lol:
2006 S4 Sprint Blue
2007 Subaru Wagon 2.5i

"I hate cops."

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
'Tis Done... almost
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2004, 10:19:39 PM »
I love comedy central...I am a HUGE south park fan, and watched a new cartoon series "Drawn Together"  the first animated reality TV show....now that was some strange crap!!!

sediahaka

• Lightly Modded
'Tis Done... almost
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2004, 10:19:54 PM »
i'm sure you guys know this but it's just my duty...airbags are freakin dangerous!!! make sure you take all the safety precautions including taking the battery cable off and waiting at least 3 minutes before disconnecting anything.  we've exploded them in school before and anyone that's been in an airbag accident can agree, getting hit with one of those can be deadly.  plus they stink.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
'Tis Done... almost
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2004, 10:24:58 PM »
Ooo...hehehe. I pulled mine off my Passat no problems :oops:

I broke the little thing to keep the spring secure when you put the airbag back in but that peice isn't important in teh operation of the airbag...hehehe.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
'Tis Done... almost
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2004, 10:35:07 PM »
I have pulled mine out on my passat, then dropped it on the floor, nothing happened, but believe me, when I saw it dropping, I ran and ducked for cover.... hehe.

I pull my airbag seats out all the time, never had a problem as long as the key was out of the ignition.  On the Passat, I disconnected the power though, just in case.  So Jeremy, make sure to bring your radio safety reset codes when you come over for that....

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
'Tis Done... almost
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2004, 02:50:17 PM »
Just saw this steering wheel on CB5. Absolutely the most kick a$$ steering wheel I've ever seen:

He wants $400 for it. AND you can use your OEM airbag.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

evil_O

• Modded
'Tis Done... almost
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2004, 08:10:36 PM »
Quote from: "jayryan"

He wants $400 for it. AND you can use your OEM airbag.

Interesting wheel.  Is it all leather?  Who is he and where is he located?  I think I would have to see and feel it in person.  It does not look as "clean" as I usually like things.

Quote from: "03indigo"

So Jeremy, make sure to bring your radio safety reset codes when you come over for that...

I will be sure and do that.  From what I have heard, things will be just fine provided the battery is unplugged and we do wait a few minutes to let any charge drain from the car's system....

AND yes, the do stink!
2006 S4 Sprint Blue
2007 Subaru Wagon 2.5i

"I hate cops."