Author Topic: Garage Day: Saturday, June 7th  (Read 13482 times)

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Garage Day: Saturday, June 7th
« on: May 28, 2003, 11:21:58 AM »
I'm thinking about having another garage day on Saturday June 7th, with a BBQ after wards.  Would anyone be interested in that?  Does anyone need to do any work to their whip?

Winston
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2003, 11:40:31 AM »
I'm down...my car has yet to be modified at all...we can play with it...hehehe...okay, within reason...
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2003, 11:40:31 AM »

WendyDarling

• n00balicious
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2003, 12:24:16 PM »
Win if I could find a freakin' N75 valve I would replace mine that day.  If not, I'll be there anyways to offer my always valuable moral support ;)  

And hey, JR is it?  Welcome to the website!  I don't think I met you or your wife at VWOTG, I was wandering around most of the day.  Some of us might try to GTG this week or next for burgers & beers...if you're free you should drop by!  Check out the thread in this forum...and don't let the "Bondage" in the title bother you.  I only tie up people I've met at least twice, so you and your wife are safe ;)  

~Wendy

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2003, 12:25:34 PM »
Bwaahaahaa!  Just kidding.  There is a lot you can do.  The Chasbar is a great suspension mod that bolts on in minutes and is less than $50!  If you want to start out small, that makes a big difference...

Come on over and we can BBQ and talk shop.  Luckily, Jen will be out of town that weekend, so I can do all of the car stuff I want...

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2003, 12:28:30 PM »
Quote from: "Wendy Darling"
Win if I could find a freakin' N75 valve I would replace mine that day.  If not, I'll be there anyways to offer my always valuable moral support ;)  

And hey, JR is it?  Welcome to the website!  I don't think I met you or your wife at VWOTG, I was wandering around most of the day.  Some of us might try to GTG this week or next for burgers & beers...if you're free you should drop by!  Check out the thread in this forum...and don't let the "Bondage" in the title bother you.  I only tie up people I've met at least twice, so you and your wife are safe ;)  

~Wendy

Oooo!  Oooo!  It's my turn to be tied up!  Hehe.  

Hey Wen.  Did you try Rich Topf at Liberty?  Send him an email (rtopf@libertyautoplaza.com) and tell him you are a member of ClubB5 and you want an N75 valve.  He can have it to you by Friday or Saturday...  Jump online, and I can tell you more...

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2003, 12:32:33 PM »
Wendy,
Yeah, my wife and I admired your car...I don't remember who the nice guys was that talked to us about stuff...Maybe it was Winston...don't know, anyway, yeah, we'll keep checking on things and meet everyone.
Winston, as far as mods go, I want to drop my car, cat-back exhaust my car, chip my car and I'm going to order some external mods for my car here in the next couple of days I want to put on...you know, the clear corner, sidemarker thing and since everyone's de-badging I'm going to add a badge...and a blow off valve, guages...
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2003, 12:34:09 PM »
Hehe, that was me.  I have done all of that except exhaust...I can help you out with that fo sho!

shummer

• Modded
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2003, 01:09:00 PM »
Hey JR,

Were you the guy that stopped me in the parking lot? I arrived pretty late in the event (early afternoon) and you were just leaving possibly. You were driving an elegant green Passat with some 16" wheels. You said you wanted your car to look like mine (as in lowered with 17s, just not the same wheels as mine  :wink: ).

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2003, 01:29:34 PM »
JR -

Sounds like you have quite the plans.  My only word of advice, is a Blow Off Valve (BOV) may not be a good choice. They are sweet and the novelty of the Blow Off sound is awesome, but they tend to be nightmares with our engines.

I don't think anyone makes a good BOV yest for the VW 1.8t.  Most people that have them end up getting rid of them within 6 months, which is pretty costly in my mind.

You're better off spending that money on a nice adjustable, rebuildable Bypass Valve (diverter valve).

Also, the catback is a sweet idea, for me it would be a nice to have, I am chipped and would benefit from an upgraded exhaust, but it is out of my range right now. :(

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2003, 02:04:42 PM »
GFB (Go Fast Bits) makes an adjustable BOV that you can change to test it out.  This is what I would go with if you want to try it.  That way if it doesn't work, you can change it to full recirculation...

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2003, 02:40:44 PM »
I might be in for a garage day and BBQ, I will keep my eyes out for the plans.  If someone else buys the ribs and boils them, I can bring my sauce and we can grill them up.....

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2003, 03:15:34 PM »
Well, yeah, that was me driving an elegant green Passat. I just think my car is too high and the 16"s came with the car when I bought it.
Uhh...yeah, I'll have my mech. do the exhaust later, but I've done springs...I can pick 'em up and if you want (dub) we can drop my ride. I'll bring some grub too
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2003, 03:39:43 PM »
should I bring my spring compressors?

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2003, 03:52:28 PM »
Hehe, it sounds like we'll need em again.  I get my hands on those things at least every other month...

That sounds like a good time...I have a good patio with a grill, two refridgerators to pack in lots of grub and drinks and a ton of chairs so come one come all and we can make a day out of it.

The next thing I need is a lift, but that is not in the cards for a while.

JR, if you need to get in touch with me for anything, you can use my Yahoo Instant messenger ID (winston_price_jde) at work here...

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2003, 03:55:56 PM »
I love working on my car...never done springs before, anything I should make sure I get when I get them?
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2003, 03:59:17 PM »
JR, the main thing I would check is to make sure that they are not too low.  Mike Reed had the same problem and his car was way too low.  I'll check with him to see if he can let us know which ones to avoid.

Other than that, bring tools if you have em and we'll make a day of it.  the whole process for suspension is about 4-5 hours...

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2003, 04:00:52 PM »
I'd like to take a look at my snub mount.  I'm not sure it's all the way in and/or tight.  Might also change my rear sway bar from soft to stiff.  I'd like to VAG my car also.  It's not accellerating smoothly.  Maybe someone else could drive it and/or take a look at my diverter valve.  I still don't know exaclty how to get it in and out.
Basically I have nothing major to do but mess minor things, assuming no one else has things to work on.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

WendyDarling

• n00balicious
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2003, 04:27:51 PM »
Someone remind me to have one of you guys look at my brake/reverse light issue if I don't have it fixed by then...

~W

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2003, 05:20:07 PM »
Quote from: "Wendy Darling"
Someone remind me to have one of you guys look at my brake/reverse light issue if I don't have it fixed by then...

~W

And get that N75 valve.  Actually, better yet, make it a N76 valve...

"220, 221...whatever it takes..."

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2003, 05:51:21 PM »
Quote from: "ColoradoB5"

"220, 221...whatever it takes..."

Yessir....Mr. MOM!!!!!!  Loved that movie :D

So, I will bring spring compressors, should I bring extra jack stands?  I have 4 now, as well as the big jack.  Let me know and I can bring all of them.

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2003, 06:42:04 PM »
Hey Jon, bring it all.  Pat mentioned that he needs some snub mount work.  I get snubbed all of the time so I can help with that.  That will probably use my two jack stands and then we'll need at least a couple more for JR.

Who else needs work?  Dave Kirstein?  Where are ya?  I know you need that Chasbar!

JR, email Chas if you want one too...
Here's a customer testimony:
http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=46940&highlight=chasbar

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2003, 06:56:30 PM »
I need to rotate my tires still.  I also need to install my new mod, but I hope to do that this week. Just as long as playing pinball doesn't get in my way.

UberGrrl

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.amandaspear.com/ubergrrl/index.html
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2003, 07:28:22 PM »
I think I should be able to make it... My car has a MIL.. has had it for 2 weeks and it's not cycling through. I don't think anything's wrong with it, I just need to see what code it's pulling.. though I should probably do that before the 7th... I also need to rotate my tires. Um.. that's about all I can think of. Unless you guys are just bored and want to rake my car, we can take my bilsteins down another couple notches in the front. ;)
MWJD?

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2003, 08:14:10 PM »
It sounds like I'll get to spend the day with all of you, I'm kind of sad my little guy dosn't say "newbie" on it anymore...oh well.

Yeah, I need to figure out what springs to get, I don't want to totally kill my ride, but I want more stiffness with about an inch and a half drop. Suggestions?

I'll bring what tools I got too. I'm slowly building back up after all my stuff got jacked out of my old car when I was in Chicago :x  

I'm still checking on my wheel clicking (ref. B5 discussion on wheel prob.)

Chasbar...pretty sweet...hmmm....
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2003, 11:23:15 AM »
Good deal guys, sounds like we are overdue for a garage day!

JR, Mike says to not get the Audi A4 Neuspeed race springs.  It looks like he got the wrong ones sent to him and they caused his issues.  If you want a lot of good opinions on what to get, post a question on www.clubb5.com and you can take advantage of lots of experience there.

Not that we don't have it too, but we are jsut a smaller local spin off of that club...

shummer

• Modded
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2003, 12:38:52 PM »
Did some research for you:

Eibach Pro-Kit = 1.2" F and R
Neuspeed Sport = 1.5" F and R
H&R Sport = 1.75" F and 1.5" R

I'd think that's as low as you wanna go (no disrespect to Winston and his coilovers).

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2003, 12:54:53 PM »
Which of these are progressive rate?
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

shummer

• Modded
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2003, 01:49:33 PM »
Quote from: "Denver Pat"
Which of these are progressive rate?

Eibach says they're progressive here: http://www.eibach.com/prokit.htm. I've seen different pictures of them and I can't remember what mine looked like. Dave's looked linear.

But I guess looking progressive doesn't necessarily mean it performs progressively and vice versa.

H&R and Neuspeed both look progressive, but I can't find anything saying that they are.

So I guess I don't know Pat. I trust Eibach's word when they say they are progressive, but look linear. H&R and Neuspeed sure look progressive, but I'm not sure if they perform as a progressive spring.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2003, 02:07:29 PM »
Wow that picture is jacked.  I need to look into that shiznit.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2003, 02:54:54 PM »
Sweet deal, I found a set of Neuspeed Sports for $150 on clearance in Cali...I'm going to call and see if they're still availiable
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner