Author Topic: If you had to...what would you do?  (Read 5730 times)

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
If you had to...what would you do?
« on: November 09, 2004, 12:58:42 AM »
If you "had" to get rid of your car and needed to get something less costly and more efficient what would you look at used or new?

I only ask because I am considering (having some random thoughts) getting rid of the A6...already I know...not because I don't like it, but because I hate making payments when I have 2 vehicles that are already paid for.

Anyway, I am considering getting rid of it and either sticking with the Scout as my DD again or getting something decent and economical for my commuting. Personally I want to just stick with the scout, but fuel consumption is a little bit of an issue with that bad boy.  The good news is it wouldn't cost me anywhere near as much to run every month as it does the Audi.

In the next year or so I need to pay for a wedding, honeymoon and hopefully a house.  No set time frame on the above.  I am already saving for all that stuff, but just think of the extra money to be had by not paying for this car.

Anyway, food for thought, toss out some potential replacement ideas, want something around the $10K range if I decide to go that route.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2004, 01:18:49 AM »
for 10K, you can get a decent Civic in pretty good shape, they are great on milage, and great build quality.  And they are easy to work on.  I just worked on my sisters, replaced the radiator and a bunch of other crap with the use of one screw driver and a 10mm socket wrench, hehe.  Not like our german cars, EVERYTHING is a different size.  I know, I know, Hon-DUH....but what ever, they ARE reliable and decent on milage...PERIOD.

If you can spend a bit more money, look into one of the Scions.  I really dig those cars, they are unique...not the swoopy SUV one, but the box of a van looking thing, and the TC...I would, and have considered, getting one of those.  Great milage, and some character, and new.

but for 10K used, there are a lot of options.  Is it possible to find a TDI out there for 10K?

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2004, 01:18:49 AM »

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2004, 01:33:24 AM »
wow, the $10,000 range -- that's a tough one.
Here's my picks:

Scion Xa ($12,000): lots of mods/accessory potential, funky interior, very fuel efficient and reliable -- and it's new!  The Xb is more expensive and the very boxy styling is an acquired taste.

Subaru SVX ($7,000-$10,000): try to stick to the later year models and one that's low milage and very well maintained.  Unique styling, good power (220 hp), AWD, and I like the unique window in window design and alcantara dash trim.

Lexus SC400 ($9,000-$15,000): extremely well built, V8 power, nice features.  A recent Consumer Reports article states that a 8 year old Lexus has less problems than a new BMW -- some food for thought.

Acura Legend ($8,000-$14,000): This was my car before my Passat and I loved it!  Good power from the 3.2L V6, but still reasonably fuel effiecient.  Very ergonomic and tasteful interior.  The styling is still aging well, and it's incredibly reliable and problem-free.  I would stick to the last two years of production (1994-1995), and the top of the line trim levels, the LS (luxury) or GS (sport).
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2004, 01:41:23 AM »
for the combination of style, performance, efficiency and low cost I'd go with a motorcycle.   You can get 0-60 in ~3sec and 45mpg for about 6K.  For Denver you can ride one for most of the year - and you could use that scout for days you couldn't ride.

If you need a car, I'd look for something like a GTI, or a Jetta GLI.  You could probably find a '99 or earlier A4 for not much more than 10K.

then there is always the old school option - find a car with a sense of style and individuality.  a late 60's muscle car would be nice but can cost a bunch on the gas.  an old porsche, MG or Volvo p1800 would be cheap on gas and would be fun.  I also have a softspot for the old sunbeam tiger.   :D

good luck with your decision.  

PS - If you want to move soon on that house, I have a good one to sell you!    :wink:
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2004, 01:43:36 AM »
he already has a motorcycle I believe

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2004, 01:54:45 AM »
Yep, have a motorcycle, and a 77 Scout and of course the Audi and Renee's Volvo.

What's funny is I hated the Scion xB until recently.  It has really grown on me.

I know Honda/Acura are usually safe bets, I like the ideas.  I used to be a freak about the Subbie SVX was a favorite style of mine when they came out.  Too bad not enough other people felt that way.

I have been looking at GTIs as well.  I would prefer a Golf 4dr in the TDI format.

I have had the honor of owning two of what I feel are the fretest cars over the last 4 years, the Passat and of course the A6. However, IF I decide to get rid of the A6 I know that down the road I will probably be back in something similar.

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2004, 03:08:52 AM »
I would either go with the Golf or the Golf.
Or, if you don't like either of those, consider the Golf.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2004, 04:12:35 AM »
Quote from: "Denver Pat"

Its true... mine has been very good to me. And if you wanted to be hard core about it you could get the TDI for the ultimate money saveing package.
No time for love, Dr. Jones.

Losers make excuses. Winners make it happen.

"and function, FUNCITON is the key" 
Fugazi

evil_O

• Modded
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2004, 09:00:29 AM »

Good thoughts :D
2006 S4 Sprint Blue
2007 Subaru Wagon 2.5i
2008 Subaru Tribeca (5 pass. Ltd.)

"I hate cops."

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2004, 01:24:38 PM »
When I was in the same situation a couple of years ago I went with a 1995 infiniti G20t (t for 'touring' not 'turbo' unfortunately). It came with sport suspension, sport seats and a LSD up front. I paid $6500 for it, insurance was cheaper (insurance for the A4 is insane!), and it ran great for the time I had it. Not a road rocket by any means but a very fun car to drive. They are pretty rare, but look for one with the touring package and 5 speed.
Quick! Everyone out of the universe!
New: 2006 A4 Avant
Old: 2001 A4 1.8TQM

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2004, 02:06:45 PM »
Jay, good luck.  I don't have anything to recommend in that range that hasn't already been recommended.  I've been looking for Landcruisers for so long that I didn't know there were other used cars out there.  hehe...

Are you looking for all out cheap or do you still want something fun?  You can always go back to a B5 and get good mileage on that.  Hell, you already know about those puppies anyway.
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2004, 02:11:47 PM »
Wrecked R32
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Rusty

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2004, 02:57:30 PM »

Rusty throws in his towel with Pat and all those who agree with him.

Yes, all the other mentions (Honda, etc.) are damn fine cars.  But you will sorely miss the soul of a German car if you don't get one.

So, just to reiterate - go with the Golf.  Or maybe the Golf.  And if you still don't like it, then go with the Golf.  And even then, if you don't like any of those three, it seems by now you should be able to get a used Passat for $10K.
i]AEB Engines have better-flowing heads and a real throttle cable...[/i]

velo

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.alankrobertson.com
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2004, 03:49:29 PM »
I would agree with the recommendation to use a motorcycle for commuting.  Maybe the one you've got isn't ideal for commuting, in which case you could upgrade to something like this.  Or you could find a bike that's a little cheaper and invest in a warm set of leathers so you can ride year-round (using the Scout for snowy days).
lan
2000 1.8T 5spd

Freeride

• Lightly Modded
    • myspace
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2004, 04:16:52 PM »
mkIII GTI or GLX will still give you $ room for the fun stuff...

You just gotta keep on livin', man. L-I-V-I-N...

JDawg

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.VerTechGroup.com
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2004, 10:26:04 PM »
Golf or Jetta, no questions.
esident RMCB5 MFD Expert!
Ask and ye shall receive!
(OEM Navigation system)

1995 BMW M3 - Sold
2003 Passat W8 6 Spd - Sold
2005 Audi S4 6 Spd Alcanterra - Sold
2007 BMW M-Coupe - I'm in love!

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2004, 12:18:44 PM »
Jay, you can always buy this Scirocco on Autotrader:

Someone help me stop the Scirocco lusting....

Chas

• Modded
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2004, 10:00:10 PM »
That's a nice car to lust after. I've always had a soft spot in my heart (and head) for those cars. I love the styling of them. Always have and always will.
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
Some Sedans haul families,
this one hauls ASS!

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2004, 02:17:16 AM »
JRingham on Audiworld's allroad forum has one too.  He loves it.  This one is his:

image removed since it is causing some problems

he and the car are out in northern CA.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2004, 02:19:42 AM »
:evil:

grrrr, Audiworld apparently doesn't like outside links to pictures.

anyway his car is here:

http://forums.audiworld.com/allroad/msgs/91701.phtml

eggdog

• n00balicious
Jetta Diesel or ....
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2004, 02:56:31 AM »
Mazda 3's or 6's are pretty nice and reliable.   I was in the same boat recently. Needed a car to run back and forth to work in.  I was putting too many miles on my Allroad.  We picked up a Mazda Protege 5 for $10,200. Noisy, but it gets 30mpg and a good little reliable car.

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2004, 01:01:46 PM »
Here you go Andrew...that is one of the cleanest MK I Sciroccos I have seen in a long time...

European bumpers, 16v antenna, armor dorr plates, Zender front spoiler (I had one on my black MK II), european side markers, suspension, and those ATS wheels (yum).  Very clean.

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.tw34k.com
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2004, 05:25:26 PM »
'Rocco's are awesome. I keep seeing conversions to Audi 1.8Ts in them and you just gotta know that would make that light little car SCOOT!

Both those cars in the pictures are super clean, I LOVE the euro bumpers and slightly cream color of the one Winston posted. I'd say the only hard part would be finding one that wasn't molested with bad taste.

I can't argue with the Golf recommendations, heh.

The practicality and reliability of the Honda/Acura route can't be denied. They are good cars. Of course, finding one of those that isn't SEVERELY molested would be even harder than the 'Rocco.  :twisted:
Andrew

Truth has no place in a culture of advertising.
2003 GTI
1992 GTI

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2004, 05:37:16 PM »
Jay, you could always get something cheap and make it a winter beater/project car...

That way you could get something cheap, do a motor sway, but some parts and still be around $10K.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2004, 09:40:03 PM »
Those roccos are niiiiiiiice.

I would love another project, but my hands are full with the scout.  Still debating what to do. :|

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2004, 09:49:16 PM »
Quote from: "gietl"

I would love another project, but my hands are full with the scout.  Still debating what to do. :|

Hey Jay, I will sweeten the pot for you.  If you buy that Scirocco, which doesn't need any work, when you are ready to get rid of it, I will buy it from you for the same price you bought it for...

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2004, 10:27:20 PM »
Quote from: "ColoradoB5"
Quote from: "gietl"

Hey Jay, I will sweeten the pot for you.  If you buy that Scirocco, which doesn't need any work, when you are ready to get rid of it, I will buy it from you for the same price you bought it for...

Just remember that second Shirocco isn't for sale.  I don't think you could pry it out of John's hands out there in CA.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2004, 10:56:45 PM »
want an allroad? hehe ;)

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2004, 12:37:19 AM »
Quote from: "03Indigo"
want an allroad? hehe ;)

now you are just being mean.   :lol:

funny, but mean.

You'll go back to loving the allroad when you get it home.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2004, 07:34:56 PM »
Well it looks like I am going to try and sell it.  The motorcycle will soon follow, only to be replaced ;).

It's not an easy decision and until I find someone to sell it to I can always change my mind.  However, it is JUST a car, a great one at that.  I will have the opportunity to own another that will be as good if not better than the A6 once everything is done.

Thanks for the input on cars, I'm gonna try the Scout only route and if that isn't going to well then I'll pick up something cheap that I can pay cash for.