Author Topic: URGENT...Read re: Wedensday Garage day  (Read 6601 times)

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
URGENT...Read re: Wedensday Garage day
« on: November 10, 2004, 08:42:18 AM »
I think I blew the turbo or turbos in the allroad, it is almost completely dead in the water....runs, but no power to speak of, and a nasty noise coming from what I believe are the turbos, mainly the driver side one from what I can tell.

I need to get the car taken care of  ASAP, so I am going to try to get it in to a dealer first think in the AM...namely Perstige since they do loaners...and I need a loaner as the MINI is useless in the snow with the tires i have on it....and it looks and sounds like snow is on the way...YIKES

So, i am going to try to head in to a dealer at 7am to deal with this and get a loaner, and if I get home early enough, I fully intend to still work on Jeremy's suspension, but I have to put things on hold until I figure out what is going on and I can get this dealt with.  

If I can't get a loaner, can I get a ride from someone, then I can get the MINI into a tire store and get some snows put on it so I can drive around in the weather.  Not my first choice, but I may not have a choice.

sorry about this guys, I am a little stressed right now, and have had no sleep as I have been checking hose lines all night and trying to figure out what may have happened.

cheers
jon

evil_O

• Modded
Re: URGENT...Read re: Wedensday Garage day
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2004, 09:34:05 AM »
Quote from: "03Indigo"

If I can't get a loaner, can I get a ride from someone, then I can get the MINI into a tire store and get some snows put on it so I can drive around in the weather.  Not my first choice, but I may not have a choice.

sorry about this guys, I am a little stressed right now, and have had no sleep as I have been checking hose lines all night and trying to figure out what may have happened.

cheers
jon

First off no need to apologize whatsoever.  Second, I just responded to your e-mail.  Third, let me know what time I need to be at the dealership to pick you up... and I will be there.  

I have the whole day free Jon, so your car is getting taken care of.  If we get to mine great, if not, no worries.
2006 S4 Sprint Blue
2007 Subaru Wagon 2.5i
2008 Subaru Tribeca (5 pass. Ltd.)

"I hate cops."

Rocky Mountain Club B5

Re: URGENT...Read re: Wedensday Garage day
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2004, 09:34:05 AM »

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2004, 09:47:22 AM »
Well, special thanks to Jeremy, the cop hater, he is gonna be at my house at 7am....help me drop off the car, then we are gonna do his suspension.  we will definitely be home by 10am ....so it is still on...come one, come all, let's get that suspension on.

Jeremy, I soooo dig that you are a night owl like me...and thank you so much for offering to help out this morning, you saved me big time.

cheers
jon

evil_O

• Modded
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2004, 09:51:50 AM »
Quote from: "03Indigo"

Jeremy, I soooo dig that you are a night owl like me...and thank you so much for offering to help out this morning, you saved me big time.
cheers
jon

:)

Well, like you told me last week at Fado, that is what the club is all about

See you in a bit -

Peace and Chicken Grease
2006 S4 Sprint Blue
2007 Subaru Wagon 2.5i
2008 Subaru Tribeca (5 pass. Ltd.)

"I hate cops."

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2004, 01:15:23 PM »
Well, my car is at Audi in Boulder, we will see what they say.

Jeremy and I are here and gonna start working on the car, the garage door will be closed, so just knock on the garage door and we will let you in if you all show up

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2004, 01:33:26 PM »
Jon - Sorry to hear about the a/r.  I have to stop by stammler later today, I'll try to check in on it for you.  Guess you won't need me to stop by for a suspension adjustment today, we can do that once your car is back home.  good luck today.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2004, 01:49:44 PM »
Damn, sorry to hear it.  Praise to Allah for Audi Assured, huh?
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2004, 02:31:19 PM »
Well you guys have had an eventful morning! Hope the allroad feels better soon, and that Audi pays and not you.

Wish I could be there for the install, can't wait to see the 'new' passat. ;)
Quick! Everyone out of the universe!
New: 2006 A4 Avant
Old: 2001 A4 1.8TQM

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2004, 02:41:21 PM »
Damn Jon, I hope it all works out.

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2004, 03:09:37 PM »
Quote from: "hotani"
Well you guys have had an eventful morning! Hope the allroad feels better soon, and that Audi pays and not you.

either way, if it is a turbo, think hard about springing for the price difference for K04's.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2004, 03:14:31 PM »
^ no doubt.

And Jon, if you are in need of a ride to get your car or anything else for that matter, let me know - I'm just a couple miles away.
Quick! Everyone out of the universe!
New: 2006 A4 Avant
Old: 2001 A4 1.8TQM

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2004, 03:39:59 PM »
Jon, I'm sorry to hear that!

Let us know when they tell you what they find!

If you do have to replace them you realize you are going to have to go K04, right?  Dream big man!
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2004, 09:43:43 AM »
well, both turbos are GONE.....and with a major issue like this, Audi calls in their regional manager, and they open up the ECU.  He is the only one allowed to do so.  They found my chip....so that is pretty much it.  I am still under factory warranty, and Audi Assured has not kicked in yet, but regardless, neither would cover the fact that i have chipped the car.

So, for repairs, they need to pull the engine and transmission out to get to the twin turbos.  I could have this work done by an independent, but then Audi will not cover anything related to the process.  They already know it needs to be done, so anything related to pulling a motor and trans they will not cover under my audi assured coverage in the future.  So, if my radiator goes, if the intercoolers crap out, if the tansmission blows or anything related to the engine...then I am out of luck if I use an independent.  When it comes to big jobs like this, they are very specific on what they cover.

Bottom line, this is my cost, out of pocket for the replacement of the turbos.  they will not do a K04, nor will they install them.  So, if I wanted the upgrade, I might as well take it somewhere else, but then that blows the warranty I already paid for.  So I am having them install the K03s to have them cover the work.

I am considering having ASW replace my stock chip so that I can then have all the work covered in the future...but we will see, not sure I will keep this much longer than another year anyway.

Yesterday was a long, long, sad, sad day.  Between dorking around with my car allnight, then fighting with that new 1.8T 4motion suspension on JerBear's car, it is unlike anything else out there, I could not wait to crash.   At least we got Jeremy's car done, and it looks and feels awesome.  maybe I will need to look into the 1.8T 4Motion Variant as a replacement, and get back to my roots....since I now know how to do the suspension, hehe.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2004, 09:45:59 AM »
Quote from: "hotani"
^ no doubt.

And Jon, if you are in need of a ride to get your car or anything else for that matter, let me know - I'm just a couple miles away.

thanks Charles...I may take you up on that.  Hopefully the snow this weekend won't be too bad and I can get around in the MINI, Iam just not excited about all the rock chips and road crap that are gonna hit it during this process.  With my luck recently, I bet we are gonna have a blizzard.....

My only real concern is getting back and forth to work in the snow this weekend, outside of that, I realy don't need to leave the house.

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2004, 01:19:48 PM »
Jon, I don't think you will have to worry too much about the snow.

Too bad about the turbos.  Can they at least tell you the cause?  Was it sludge?  If so, you can at least take measures to prevent it from happening again.

I hope you are back on the road with it and happy again real soon.

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2004, 01:39:28 PM »
sorry to hear the news Jon.   :cry:

I am crossing my fingers, hoping that you don't go through a paulroad experience in replacing the turbos.

keep us posted on the progress with the car.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2004, 01:41:54 PM »
they say it was related to the increased demand in boost related to the chip.  Who knows, I kinda want to see them when I get the car back.  I mentioned that to them, and they said they will "see what they can do"....

Hopefully everything will be back and running next week.

I need to figure out how to do my own oil changes now since I am out of service after this issue.  I think I am gonna switch to synthetic at this time.

Does anyone know if there is a certain type of oil that can help reduce sludge and turbo wear and tear?

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2004, 01:44:29 PM »
"""See what they can do"?  WTF?  They're YOUR turbos.  What gives them the right to take them from you.  Total BS.
I'm under the impression as long as you use a full sythetic you'll be 95% of the way to eliminating sludge problems, regardless of brand.  Of course, there is a difference between oil brands.
Sorry to hear it, Pal.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2004, 01:47:34 PM »
Pat, what is your recommendation?  Castrol?  I have heard good things, but that is from the MINI side of things.  I know you use something, but can not remember what it was.

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2004, 01:50:32 PM »
You'll get a different answer from every "expert" out there.  Most of the time people say Mobil1, Redline, Amsoil and maybe Valvoline SynPower are the best.  I personally am fine with any of these. I think the more important issue is the weight of the oil.  In the summer I use 15-50 since my engine gets hot (track) and has 137K miles on it.  In the winter I use 0-40.
-Chuck Patterson

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2004, 01:55:18 PM »
thanks Pat... I appreciate the info, I am gonna write it all down now so I have it on file.

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2004, 02:30:22 PM »
Have to agree with Pat on those oils.  I hear the best things about Mobil1 and Amsoil, althouth I have been using the Valvoline myself in Stacie's car.  I haven't done my own oil change on the allroad yet.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2004, 02:40:37 PM »
Just talked with Tom at Stammler, he is the service manager, anyway, I asked him to make sure I get my turbos back.  I want them to see if there is sludge in them, cuz if there is, AoA should maybe cover these, as related to their extending warranties due to sludging in the turbos.

So, at least they know I am aware of that issue, and maybe when they pull it all apart, and see that there is slude, they will help me out a bit...and I will get the turbos back, which I will then use for some sort of decoration around the house, hehe.

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2004, 03:18:52 PM »
Well that is definitely interesting.  I agree with Pat on those oils.  Rusty has done some testing with Redline and highly recommends it, which is why I just put some in mind about a month ago.

Here is the clincher:  VW put out a maintenance update specifying certain oils had to be used going forward to address the issue of sludge related turbo failure.

If Audi didn't follow that, they could be negligent of not following their own requirements, if indeed they are the same.  With added boost though, the sludge will exacerbate the issue and cause the turbos to fail even before they normally would have.

The question is that if Audi should have used a different oil, it is reasonable to say the they would have eventually failed anyway.  Since you are chipped, they just failed earlier.  

Andrew, you are in the legal realm, what do you think Jon should do regarding that?

Rian_Colorado

• Stock
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2004, 03:59:30 PM »
Jon,

A) sorry to hear about the turbo's (more on that to come)

B) Oils. Changing the oil in the 2.7T is in my opinion easier then the 1.8T. Take off the belly pan and everything is right there in front of you.  Oil filter is REALLY easy.

As far as what to use, I've been using ONLY 0-40 mobil1 since I bought the S4. ALL of the AW S4 folks use it as well. I've been using the OEM Mann filters as well. Some of the more anal folks on AW who have had thier oil analyzed post use have seen recommendations to run it as long as 8-10K miles (I've been doing mine every 5K) but the analysis seems to show that the wear rate and thermal viscosity with M1 are far superior.

Back to the turbo's.
            I'm sure you've kept up with the options out there, but I'm not sure if you know that there are several independent guys who are doing this (turbo swaps) on a contract basis. Basically, you buy the turbo's, fly them in, pay them 1K and you're set (and they have a pretty good record of doing SEVERAL successful swaps to most of the guys on the S4 board.) Also for the record, they're doing it in about 12-14 hours. I'm not sure what you're going to end up paying, but I'm willing to bet that this could be as much as 2K less.  I know that the warrantee issues exist, but so far the biggest warantee issue I've heard has BEEN the turbos, and once they've been replaced....... Point being that once they've been replaced, I'm not to worried about the rest of the drivetrain.

Again, sorry to hear about the issues. Anyway you slice it, it still sucks. Hope everything goes well at Stammler. They've always been pretty good with me.

Rian
55 MPH, slow enough to make you THINK you're safe, fast enough to kill you"

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2004, 04:02:18 PM »
Good call, Rian.  Great info in there.  I use either Mann or Mahle filters.  I think Mann is a little better.
-Chuck Patterson

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2004, 04:27:36 PM »
Quote from: "ColoradoB5"
Andrew, you are in the legal realm, what do you think Jon should do regarding that?

I'd put this in the wait and see collumn.  Too early now to know how the turbos will look.  getting them back, then going after Audi with a warranty claim is a possibility if there was a sludge problem.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2004, 04:33:48 PM »
Rian,

That is awesome info there.

As far as replacement, I have the Audi Assured until 100K and i am at 47K right now.  I was told by Tom, the service manager, that since they know the turbos need replacing, and I am AA for 53K more miles, that if an independent does the work, that they will not cover anything, including timing belt, transmission, exhaust, cats, etc.  Everything there needs to be pulled to do the job,  They have quoted me 25-30 hours, and it is expensive.  I know there are cheaper options, but by the time I fly someone in, find a place for them to do the work, rent that out, get the turbos, either K03 or K04, it would not be too much different....for my needs anyway.  I just don't want to push my luck with timing belt and transmission issues.  There is one guy here locally with an allroad, I know him from college and from Audiworld, his Tip trans went out, and they covered it.  Cost of replacement  part alone is $8K....then labor at about 15 hours from what Audi told him.  That does not sound fun to me.  And if the timing belt goes before 100K, they cover everything, including a new motor...sooooo....why pass that up?  It is a tough decision, but I am going to spend the bank at Stammler to have them take care of it in the chance that I end up keeping the car through the May 2007 date when the warranty expires.

I will however now start switching oil and timing of oil changes.  Thanks for the recommendations.  I think I am gonna run mobil 1 and the Mann filters.  Where do you all source them from?  Is there discount options online?  Also, where can you find true specs about how much oil to use?  I have head so many different things when it comes to the 2.7T motor.  I want to find the truth.  I personally believe there are no differences between the allroad and S4 motors, but have heard that there are volume differences.  Before i do anything on my own, I want to find out for sure.  I don't trust the allroad forums that much when it comes to specs, as those guys pretty much pay people to do everything for them, and have no "practicle" experience.  And the S4 forum frightens me, hehe.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2004, 04:34:50 PM »
Quote from: "gragravar"
Quote from: "ColoradoB5"

I'd put this in the wait and see collumn.  Too early now to know how the turbos will look.  getting them back, then going after Audi with a warranty claim is a possibility if there was a sludge problem.

That is what i am gonna do, see what they look like, and if it is not just a boost issue, I am going after them.

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2004, 05:28:23 PM »
Jon,

You can get most weights of Mobil 1 at any auto parts store.  For the filter, I personally use the K&N oil filter you can find at most as well.  I have used it on my car for a couple years and the Saab since we got it and have been very happy with the lack of any particulate matter in my oil change pan when draining the oil.  In fact, I would definitely say there was less than with the stock filter, although the difference was not great, it was noticeable.

Best of luck and we'll just have to see what the evidence shows when you get the turbos back.  To prevent them from removing the evidence, you may want to consider going and getting them as soon as they come out.  If there is a chance that sludge was the cause, you don't want them to take that option away from you by tampering with them.

Does that make me cynical?  If so, please see Andrew's signature.  Good luck, buddy.