Author Topic: URGENT...Read re: Wedensday Garage day  (Read 6599 times)

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
URGENT...Read re: Wedensday Garage day
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2004, 05:30:28 PM »
I think you can get Mann filters from dealers, but I'm not sure.  I get mine from Autoworks Colorado.  Awesome guys a mile west of my place.
I've heard Wal-Mart stocks M1, but I'm not sure the viscosity.  You can also find it at many auto parts stores, but call ahead.  They often don't stock much of any given viscosity.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2004, 05:33:14 PM »
Dub,
I've seen a couple independent tests on oil filters, and the K&N filters came out at the bottom of the list.  I think Mance may have tested them, but I'm not sure.  Either way, I've seen a couple indy tests and they came to that same conclusion.  Food for thought...
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2004, 05:33:14 PM »

HawkmanA4

• Stock
    • http://vanekh.oasiswellness.com/
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2004, 05:37:25 PM »
Damn Jon, I am so sorry to hear about all that! :cry:  You know if you need anything you can always give me a ring. Did they give you a loaner?
00 A4 1.8TQMS- FOR SALE
'04 A4 Avant 1.8TQM Ultra Sprot
Hawk Vanek
HawkInvestmentRealty@comcast.net
www.SoarWithHawk.com

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2004, 05:39:35 PM »
Quote from: "Denver Pat"
Dub,
I've seen a couple independent tests on oil filters, and the K&N filters came out at the bottom of the list.  I think Mance may have tested them, but I'm not sure.  Either way, I've seen a couple indy tests and they came to that same conclusion.  Food for thought...

Good to know, Pat.  You don't happen to have any links to that info, do you?  If not, I will start snooping around some of the other boards to dig up more on that.

TIA
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2004, 05:45:23 PM »
No, I don't.  I know it was on AW, though.
-Chuck Patterson

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.tw34k.com
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2004, 05:55:49 PM »
Jon, I'm really sorry to hear about all the troubles.
Good luck with things.

You can also find Mobil1 at WalMart where I believe if you buy it in the 5-pack it will save you a few dollars.

I'm a big fan of Mobil1 and have used it in every car I've owned since '93 with excellent results. Well, except for the Porsche, its gaskets don't like the small molecules of the synthetic oils and it makes it "wet the bed"  :roll:

Kinda funny side note: When I switched to synthetic in the GTI the service rep at VW told me that I didn't have to come in for my 15k service because the synthetic was good for 10k miles. I gave him one of my best hairy eyeball expressions and told him I'd be back at 15k. :)
Andrew

Truth has no place in a culture of advertising.
2003 GTI
1992 GTI

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2004, 05:57:21 PM »
Doh!  I will have to do some posting to confirm this.  I don't need no sludge problems, but if I did have to replace the turbo, it would be a good reason to go K04 and I could do it myself since I don't have to pull the engine.

Jon, this car is for sale:

More pics HERE

Member Thread

Check this dyno thread out.

The price?  Just over $20K, US$
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2004, 07:09:16 PM »
Quote from: "HawkmanA4"
Damn Jon, I am so sorry to hear about all that! :cry:  You know if you need anything you can always give me a ring. Did they give you a loaner?

Nope, no loaner since it is not covered by warranty....so, at least I got the MINI for dry weather, but if it snows, I am out of luck.  I did however arrange rides to work this weekend in the event of snow.

If I need something, I will give you a call.

Thanks to everyone that has offered rides...Charles, Hawk, Mike E., Mike R., Andrew D. ....you guys are the best.  Nice to know you got people out there willing to lend a hand.  Special thanks to Jeremy for helping me get the car up to Stammler at 630am the other day...that was awesome.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2004, 07:12:12 PM »
Quote from: "ColoradoB5"

Jon, this car is for sale:

The price?  Just over $20K, US$

that is pretty tight Winston, but we will see what happens in the spring.  I may be putting the allroad on the market, see what i get for it, and then look at my options....

I would go another wagon, and it must be all wheel drive...so that leaves me with
Volvo
Audi
VW
Subaru

just to name a few that I would consider.

time will tell how things end up...I just need to get it back and see what happens first.