Author Topic: What are you looking for out of this club?  (Read 2482 times)

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
What are you looking for out of this club?
« on: November 17, 2004, 06:27:39 PM »
There are many reasons we all migrated to this little corner of the internet.

For most of us, it is to have a local car community to help out with your ride or to hang out with like minded people.

I originally came with the idea to start a local club and approached several active Colorado members of Clubb5.com to get the ball rolling.  I frequently like doing "reality checks" to make sure everyone here at least knows our roots here and can fully appreciate that we are a great little online community, but we are also seeing the start of trends to come on the internet.

With that being said, what are some of the things you really enjoy out of this site and have come to appreciate, if not downright depend on?

For me, I always have a group of great people that I can count on in my life to be there to help (sniff sniff) and give me ideas or solutions to problems I may not have bcome up with on my own.  

For me it is a collaborative effort, which is what I feel really make this a community.

Please share your thoughts on this, whatever they may be.

Thanks,
Winston
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

shummer

• Modded
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2004, 07:05:51 PM »
I found vwvortex and then clubb5.com while researching what vehicle to purchase. After meeting Boris and Spec in person, I found there were a lot of people in town willing to share their knowledge, experience, and help.

This site has been great in focusing our efforts locally. I always know to look here first if I run into any Passat-related issue. I enjoy most other people's help fixing/maintaining/modifying my vehicle to save a few dollars. Garage Days have been the most beneficial for me. I also enjoy the drives, track days, and other help non-Passat related.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2004, 07:05:51 PM »

Freeride

• Lightly Modded
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2004, 07:13:21 PM »
I watched the site for a while before signing up...  At the time I was a dubber, but no longer...  What matters to me is that people are really into what the drive, and that's pretty cool...  

I really like that a lot people post on a daily basis, and there is a sense of community.  I also enjoy the lack of "somebody is out to get me", or "somebody is willingly hacking my site", or "you're gonna hear my personal opinion like it or not" drama...

I've enjoyed bantering with the folks on the forum, and the people I've met (the Russian, and 34k) seem like very cool people...

Hopefully I can make the next GTG, and meet more of ya...  "The Man" usually has me locked in my cube, I mean cage most of the time....

Lates,

Rich

You just gotta keep on livin', man. L-I-V-I-N...

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2004, 07:21:30 PM »
Quote from: "Freeride"
"The Man" usually has me locked in my cube, I mean cage most of the time....

You and me both!

coveredbytheblood

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2004, 01:00:28 PM »
I think this site has proven to be a great source for information pertaining to our cars.  There is a lot of at least seemingly knowledgable people here willing to share thoughts, advice and a helping hand.  That is way cool.  The site looks great.  It is easy to use.  Keep it up.
Coveredbytheblood, JC's blood

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2004, 01:13:08 PM »
Let's see.

The most important to me is the willingness to help. I have heard some complaints by people I know that are members that have NOT been helped or just ignored when and issues comes up that they're asking about.

I really don't want to see any cliques form out of this club. I know it's easy for everyone to stay with the familiar, but that doesn't help alot with new members. We may have the dorkiest, stupiest member that needs a question answered and I believe as a resource, it's our responsibility to help that person. It's not highschool anymore.

So, it's important to me that no matter how redundant or how many times, the same thing comes up, we're all there to help find a cost-effective and DIY solution when possible. And if needed, be available to help. The club is give and take and I believe that's what sets us apart from the rest. As Freeride said, we don't have the drama, or need the drama. It's not healthy.

I here for the monotony buster too...I'm always really bummed when nobody's saying anything. My job gets very monotonous and boring. I need laughs and breaks.

The drives and GTG's. I love those. Especially the drives. I was quite bummed this summer when it really felt like nothing was really going on. I know we're all busy and even when I organized the weekday drive and only three people showed...it still was awesome.

Like-minded people is cool. Friends to challenge, encourage and teach. Friends to develop relationships with outside of cars and stuff...get the families together. Or dogs :wink:  It really is a community that can extend beyond cars.

That's what's important to me. I've got a new project going that I'm going to document :wink: It's going to be a long one...but one that I may unveil at DATR. We'll see. It's a learning experience. And when I'm done, I'd be more than willing to help others who want to do the same :D
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

derek2079

• n00balicious
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2004, 07:42:24 PM »
im just looking for some people in the utah area who enjoy their car as much as i do

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2004, 02:21:27 PM »
Quote from: "derek2079"
im just looking for some people in the utah area who enjoy their car as much as i do

Hey Derek, there are a few of our member in Utah, but you should also check www.clubb5.com and www.audiworld.com for more Utah locals.  www.vwvortex.com is also a good place to meet people.

shummer

• Modded
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2004, 03:31:11 PM »
There are some good guys in Utah - Jesse, J, and their Russian friend (forgot his name).

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2004, 03:53:26 PM »
Quote from: "shummer"
There are some good guys in Utah - Jesse, J, and their Russian friend (forgot his name).

Dmitri with that light green B5.5 with that awesome exhaust

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2004, 05:28:13 PM »
I have to say that with this site and the awesome people that I have come to know and have offered help, I am still on my honeymoon with my car.  You guys have been so helpful to so many of my questions.  I only feel bad because of my living location and my schedule, I do not have the time that I would like to hang out and return the help.  I have always liked to tinker/fix things (sometimes not with the best results!), but I always like to help.

I guess the thing I would really like see focused on for the site would be the technical information side.  I would have a general selection and then depending on the amount of content, breaking it down to sub-sections, just to make it a user friendly as possible.  I say this because no matter how intuitive a search feature is, not everyone types the same search variables.

I know that RMCB5 would not be what it is without the people, but I have to give a single kudo's to Jay and his running this site.  YOU ROCK MAN!  8)  :D

Here is to another great year and looking forward  to 2005!
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!