Author Topic: B5 issues....  (Read 3179 times)

Rascal

• Stock
B5 issues....
« on: June 02, 2003, 09:08:03 AM »
Um, I'm not sure what's going on with my B5.  My wife complained about loud noises while steering.  It wasn't until I hopped in the car this morning to take it to a shop, that I experienced how bad it felt.

Turning the car on, it sounds like the belts are perhaps slipping.  Not too much of an issue.  But when turning the steering wheel, I hear vibration sounds and I feel a fair amount of vibration in the accelerator pedal.  It's much worse the farther I turn the wheels.  I don't recall it being harder to move the wheels, but I'm wondering if it has to do with a steering hydralics pump?  Is there such a sthing?

As I backed into the street, I decided to get a tow truck later today.  My poor baby doesn't feel well.  :(

Any ideas of what's wrong?

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
B5 issues....
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2003, 10:11:05 AM »
Adrian,  I have no idea what it could be.  Sorry to hear about it though.

Keep us up to date when you find out what is going on.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

B5 issues....
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2003, 10:11:05 AM »

Rascal

• Stock
B5 issues....
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2003, 10:25:42 AM »
I sure will.  Meanwhile, I'll be at work biting my nails wondering what the tow truck will be doing with my car on the road.   8O

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
B5 issues....
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2003, 10:36:40 AM »
Did you feel any vobration in the steering wheel while turning it?

If there is a loose belt or  bad belt you will feel it.  I belive, though I'm not sure, but there should be a belt for the power steering right?  I know IO have one in my scout.

You wouldn't notice anything until you started to turn the wheel.

Also, how many miles do you have now?  Are you above 60K miles? Do we need to start worrying about the Timinb Belt nightmare?

Rascal

• Stock
B5 issues....
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2003, 11:45:47 AM »
Jay, don't say that!!  The timing belt crossed my mind, but I'm sure the sypmtoms would be more drastic.  I currently have (only) 40k.

I tend to agree, without knowing anything, that a belt is loose or slipping that might pressurize the power steering.  I'm just not sure exactly what would cause the engine to vibrate so much (the only reason I didn't drive it).

The car is on its way.  I'll probably find out later this afternoon what the prognosis is.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
B5 issues....
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2003, 11:59:00 AM »
Well hopefully it is a quick diagnostic and just a tightening of a belt or something simple and (hopefully) inexpensive.  I know in my past experiences with belts, if there is one for the power sterring and it is loose you get a lot of shuddering in the engine.

Again, I'm not sure what our exact belt setup is, never really took the time to look at it.  ANother possibility could be a bad power steering pump and that could be causing extra strain on the engine?

Well, my fingers are crossed, keep us posted.

Rascal

• Stock
B5 issues....
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2003, 11:04:53 AM »
Well, I did get a quick diagnostic, but it ain't cheap!  The $1100 repair is a real blow.  Just when property taxes jump, and other bills come around.

The problem (I sent it to the ClubB5 list as well) is the steering rack failed/leaked.  Stacey noticed the steering noise when leaving down town.  We haven't seen any leaks, so perhaps it drained all at once downtown, and she ruined it by driving it "dry".  I'll learn more when I actually talk with the mechanic.  The steering rack is $750 refurbished plus 3-4 hours of labor.

Anyone have experience with this?  I'm surprised this happened.  This can't be a 4Mo thing, could it?

Rascal

• Stock
B5 issues....
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2003, 12:54:54 PM »
UPDATE.

Wow, what a mess.  I stopped by the shop.  The car was up and was still being fixed.  I looked at the old steering rack and it was literally spewing hydralic fluid.  It was very watery, is this normal?  The driver's side was rusted pretty good.  I think Gebhardt punctured the boot by the tie-rod.  Gehardt also put too much loc-tite on the tie-rod (this is from the recall).  My mechanic was having a bear trying to get it off.

No idea why the seals (on both sides) failed and leaked fluid.   When he took off a boot, quite a bit of fluid poured out.

As for the bump steer, now I understand the wheel suspension geometry.  There is a screw above the toe adjustment that is the "bump steer".  I have a feeling this will adjust how "vertical" the wheel will sit on the road.  I'm hoping therefore, my driver/front wheel will finally be aligned correctly and stop the loud road noise and excessive tire wear.

I'm just waiting for the alignment to be done today, and my wife will finally have a car back.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
B5 issues....
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2003, 01:17:37 PM »
WOW!

That is an ordeal....that steering rack is a scary thing.  I think if you do a search on Cb5 you'll see a number of others that had similar experiences.  I think they as well were all 98-99 MY.  Not a significant number, but for the amount of money it costs it is a big deal.

Well at least it's all new and will last a long time.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
B5 issues....
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2003, 09:13:32 PM »
So the "bump steer" is not a usual adjustment made when getting a normal alignment then is it? I want to know about the road noise when you get it done. I hit a pothole about two months back and have had an alignment done, but the ride sounds a bit louder than it was before...
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Rascal

• Stock
B5 issues....
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2003, 10:24:32 PM »
I don't think it is a typical alignment concern.  I believe it is only required when the tie-rods are disassembled.  The road noise issue for me is after I have new tires rotated for the first time, I go from very quite ride to very loud.  After a few alignments (and excessive wear on the inside/driver side tires) I just learned to deal with it.  But now that this was pointed out to me, I'm hoping that this might fix the problem.  I don't know why this would get out of alingment, since my tie-rods should never have been touched.

EDITE: Oh duh!  Gebhardt did my tie-rod recall.  And of course I've snice learned they don't do alignments very well.    :roll:

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
B5 issues....
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2003, 06:24:41 PM »
eh...I need an alignment...not going to Gebhardt though...my wife took her Mazda to B&D Tire...$60...good alignment too
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

vDUBnFoLife

• n00balicious
B5 issues....
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2003, 06:27:45 AM »
Wow that sucks, and I feel your pain though.  I had damaged the rack when i got in the accident  :x  and had to get a rebuilt one put in there.  I took mine over to RS and Joel was able to do it for $800 for parts, labor, and an alignment.
an I can't wait till this money tree pays off!