Author Topic: Calendars  (Read 3041 times)

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Calendars
« on: October 21, 2004, 09:19:08 PM »
I'm diggin' the calendars Jay :D
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Calendars
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2004, 09:21:02 PM »
Yeah, still installing and modifying so hopefully they will be done soon.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

Calendars
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2004, 09:21:02 PM »

gragravar

• Supercar
Calendars
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2004, 11:37:13 PM »
they do look cool though.  l'm looking forward to seeing them working.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Calendars
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2004, 12:03:22 AM »
Well you guys are going to have to wait longer.  Too many changes (for the better) to this version of our site software that I can't hack the calendar stuff enough.  

I will keep trying/looking for a solution or alternative.

Thanks for the comments.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Calendars
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2004, 01:07:23 PM »
It'll be cool when we get the calendar's up so we can add events and stuff at a glance.

But, I'm not really diggin the helmets. I like the idea of helmets, but just not these. Maybe if they were a little less cartoonish.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

coveredbytheblood

• Heavily Modded
Calendars
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2004, 01:12:32 PM »
I think they are totally kickin!!!  The Helmuts I mean.
Coveredbytheblood, JC's blood

velo

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.alankrobertson.com
Calendars
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2004, 02:41:34 PM »
Jay, what version of calendar software did you try?  I got the calendar from http://phpnuke.holbrookau.net/ to partially work (didn't get calendar admins working) with phpnuke 7.4.  Have you found any other calendar modules that work well?  I'm working on creating a couple sites using phpnuke.  One for my condo building and another that might someday be like rmcb5, but for cyclists.
lan
2000 1.8T 5spd

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Calendars
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2004, 02:53:57 PM »
This site is using 7.5 and the calendar you listed is what i was attempting to hack to get it to work.  7.5 has major changes to the admin functions of the site and the code was basically rewritten.  It causes a lot of problems with full add on modules.

If I had more time I could make it work, it is pretty much a bunch of work to hack it and I would rather let the developer or someone else do it.

That calendar will work with 7.4, just requires some modifications as I understand.  There are details on that site as well as nukecops.com.

I you are looking at having forums attached to the site PHPBB has a portal addon now.  Granted it is unsupported by PHPBB but it is very similar to nuke but with better integration into the forums.

As for calendars nucalendar is probably still one of the most popular, but is dated in software terms and is hard to get. Well it looks like the site is back up, the only place to get it is here!

We had this on the site at one time.  While I liked it I recall it being a pain to integrate, of course this is a newer version.  Should be fine through nuke 7.4, have no clue on 7.5.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Calendars
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2004, 02:59:39 PM »
Whoa, I lied, they have a sie now kinda dedicated to nucalendar, you can find out more here. They also have forums dedicated to nucalendar, not much going on, a bunch of non coders posting.

That's the only problem with nuke it has a lot of mods and so forth, but most need a bit of "work."

velo

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.alankrobertson.com
Calendars
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2004, 03:38:44 PM »
Quote from: "gietl"
That's the only problem with nuke it has a lot of mods and so forth, but most need a bit of "work."

Yeah, I haven't been impressed so far with the community around nuke.  It's probably alot of people like me who don't have the time to get things working 100%, so hack things a little bit to get them mostly working.  I had seen nucalendar, but since I've got Event Calendar working, I'll leave it be.  I like the scrolling upcoming events block too.

Have you played around with Mambo or any other content management packages?  Or can you recommend any sites that compare different packages?
lan
2000 1.8T 5spd

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Calendars
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2004, 04:56:59 PM »
Most everything I have used is portal related.  Of course the various software products I use for blogging are CMS and easy to use.

So it depends on what you want to do.  Portals like nuke serve a purpose.  Of course in most cases they are packaged with things you may never use, but that stuff can be removed.

CMS tools are nice, makes things easy to edit and code. Mambo is a straight out CMS tool as I understand, so you would need to have a design and idea of what you want and build it out. Once that hurdle has been cleared adding on and maintenance should be much easier.

You can check out: http://www.cmsmatrix.org/matrix

That will let you compare CMS products, but don't read too much into it.  I compared Mambo to PHP-Nuke and they compared the newst verision of Mambo to a 2+ year old version of PHP-Nuke and even then a lot of they stuff they said no to is not true.

So like I said above Mambo is good if you don;t want to write the code, but you really need to ave a design in place for it to be beneficial.  It looks like a great product though.