Author Topic: Keep an eye out for MKIIs  (Read 1023 times)

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Keep an eye out for MKIIs
« on: November 23, 2004, 07:28:39 PM »
While I still plan on driving the Scout as my daily driver I am entertaining the idea of picking up a MKII (Jetta or GTI).  Preferably 16v.  Of course I don't really care as long as it runs good  and it is in good shape and it reliable.

I am looking to spend less than $5K, preferably less than $3K.

Thos of you with experience on this platform what are things to look for when shopping for one?  Namely things that are really bad that are often over looked and all that.

Babyrs4

• Stock
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2004, 07:55:00 PM »
I don't know if it'll be a good input but I used own a '88 VW GOLF GTI 16V.  and the most significant job I had to do on that car was to replace the piston rings. the reason for that was when I ran though the compresion rate testing it was about 75% compression loss on piston #1 and 55% for #2, 30% #3, and 18%#4.  but I thought it wasn't worth the money and time to go through all that, so mabye should look for rebuilt.  the next thing to be carefull is the 2nd gear. on those models when you exceed the stock power... it just goes. Mine didn't go but that's what I read on THE GOLF Mag (British). so when you test drive it, check to see the gears go in smoothly and listen to all the weired noises, just to make sure. and last big thing was CV joints both sides and in/out (more like CV boots)...mine was all ripped when I got the car..., so that's all the things that cought my attention by suprise when I ran it through inspection when I just got the car.  hope I helped, and good luck looking for your new baby!! Will.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2004, 07:55:00 PM »

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2004, 08:25:32 PM »
Thanks for the tips!  Regardless of what I decide to do, if I find "the one" I will take it somewhere to have it checked head to toe. :)

However, we all know that doesn't always find everything.