Author Topic: "BUMP STEER" alignment?  (Read 2113 times)

Rascal

• Stock
"BUMP STEER" alignment?
« on: June 03, 2003, 02:59:06 PM »
Okay, my steering rack will be replaced soon.  I should have realized an alignment will also need to be done.  I guess, when ever the tie-rod is touched, a "bump steer" alignment is required.  I called Stan's alignment, and they weren't familiar with that.  They have the Hunter Alignment system which is required for Quatro and 4Motion.

My shop is checking with them to explain it all.  The shop in Boulder charges $150 for a 4-wheel alignment becuase of this difficulty.  Stan's in Aurora chages $78 for 4-wheel Passat 4Motion.

Any thoughts?

shummer

• Modded
"BUMP STEER" alignment?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2003, 03:18:00 PM »
Is a "bump steer" alignment different than a regular alignment? I got my FWD Passat alligned at McDonald VW. I thought it was <$50 for the front two. $78 max sounds about right for 4 wheels, but maybe it's different since there's more adjustments w/ the 4-mo.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

"BUMP STEER" alignment?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2003, 03:18:00 PM »

Rascal

• Stock
"BUMP STEER" alignment?
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2003, 03:52:22 PM »
Well, I had my shop call Stan's Alignment.  A fella at Stan's had heard of a "Bump Steer" but wasn't really aware of doing an alignment.  Since he was not familiar with it, and it requires special "expensive" tooling, I'm going to take it to a Boulder shop that specializes in Audi Quattro alignments.  This is where my mechanic takes all their Audis.  I'm also wondering if this might help with some abnormal tire wear I had before this issue that wasn't fixed even with alignments.

If anyone happens to have a VW spec, I think it calls out a "bump steer" alignment.  I guess the Hunter Alignment platform is not enough.

Rascal

• Stock
"BUMP STEER" alignment?
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2003, 03:53:34 PM »
Oh, I guess Gebhardt can supposedly do this alignment.  Supposedly, I think, because they have the equipment/tools, but not the know-how.  Just so you know.  :)