Author Topic: Sniff, Sniff... Whats that smell?  (Read 2734 times)

Scuba2001

• Modded
Sniff, Sniff... Whats that smell?
« on: November 10, 2004, 03:13:43 AM »
Wait, is that new rubbers I smell?

Why yes sir, it is.

My lovely US Mail Lady brought a great gift to me today.  Jacob's (phatrabbitzz) last set of GoodYear Eagle F1 summer tires.  This was the last purchase I made before I was banned from CB5 (pm me if you want info, not here) and boy, am I happy that I got these.  Now, I just need to get some new wheels.  Wheels will eventually be Mille Miglia MM-S in a light grey color (can be seen in the MOTM picture at the bottom).

I got these for $600 plus shipping from him.  New, they sell for $186 a tire from TireRack, plus shipping.  These tires are one of the best tires on the market now.  Great reviews, and lots of happy people.

Once I get them mounted, you're sure to know about it all.

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2004, 08:59:56 PM »
Steve, that's pretty sweet!  I kept seeing Phatrabitt post those, but I always wondered how he got a monster stack of tires in his garage.

The Goodyears are usually pretty good, but let us know how you like them when you get them put on.

I really like my Bridgestone S03's and I may go with them again for my next set next summer, we'll just have to see.
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2004, 08:59:56 PM »

coveredbytheblood

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2004, 10:44:23 PM »
Neat.  :) :) :)
Coveredbytheblood, JC's blood

velo

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.alankrobertson.com
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2004, 11:14:56 PM »
Congrats man!  I've read nothing but good things about those tires and would love to give them a try.
lan
2000 1.8T 5spd

JDawg

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.VerTechGroup.com
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2004, 04:17:33 PM »
I ran the Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3's (235x40x18) and loved them.  Never have I driven on a tire with the performance characteristics that they offer, between wet, dry and hard cornering and my 3800lb car, they were awesome.  I will be using them again next summer, and I am already looking forward to it.
esident RMCB5 MFD Expert!
Ask and ye shall receive!
(OEM Navigation system)

1995 BMW M3 - Sold
2003 Passat W8 6 Spd - Sold
2005 Audi S4 6 Spd Alcanterra - Sold
2007 BMW M-Coupe - I'm in love!

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2004, 04:19:08 PM »
I may have to opt for these next summer.  How is the treadwear on them?

JDawg

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.VerTechGroup.com
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2004, 03:31:15 AM »
Well, as you know I drive fairly hard.  The tires have about 15K miles on them, and they show about 20 percent worn, not bad considering I ran a few laps around a track as well.  I expect to get another season out of them next year.
esident RMCB5 MFD Expert!
Ask and ye shall receive!
(OEM Navigation system)

1995 BMW M3 - Sold
2003 Passat W8 6 Spd - Sold
2005 Audi S4 6 Spd Alcanterra - Sold
2007 BMW M-Coupe - I'm in love!

Scuba2001

• Modded
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2004, 06:52:13 PM »
Treadwear is rated at 280.  I currently have Yoko ES100's and they are the same tread rating.  I ran say, 4 autocross events, and they have lasted me almost 2 years.

Phatrabbitzz got the tires from a local tire shop who was going out of business.  He couldnt sell them, so Jacob picked them up on the cheap and sold them.  He increased the price slightly from what he paid for them to cover shipping, etc, but you seriously cant beat the price.  These tires sell for 182 each at TireRack.  I got them for about 125 a corner, plus shipping.

They still arent mounted yet, but I'll be sure to update everyone once they are.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2004, 06:59:59 PM »
So Steve, decided to poke around here after spending too much time on the "other" site eh? It's been like a month since you last posted...YOUR month :lol:

I would have loved to pick up a set, but I don't have any more money and not the right wheel size. Let us know how they work!
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Scuba2001

• Modded
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2004, 08:08:47 PM »
Ive been poking around here all month.  Just not a whole lot of action around here.  Until today.

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2004, 08:28:21 PM »
It's funny...when I first saw this thread title, it reminded me of Brendan Lee in "The Crow"

"Is that gasoline I smell?"