Author Topic: Rear Swaybar: what is exactly does it do?  (Read 2749 times)

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Rear Swaybar: what is exactly does it do?
« on: June 10, 2003, 11:24:25 PM »
Well I know that Scott Griffin (griffon on CB5) and Alan (velo) have the Neuspeed 28mm rear sway bar.  I have not driven either car once it was put on.  I know it corrects for understeer, which I think my car is suffering from.

But crickey!  $250 is a lot to pay for that thing.  Anyone know of other brands that do the same thing or at least any sales?

Winston
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2003, 11:35:48 PM »
To answer the question of the title, here is a little info.  As far as cost and distributors...I have no clue....

The RSB is the Rear Sway Bar, also known as an Anti Roll bar. The RSB serves to tie up the rear suspension as to limit its travel relative to each sides. When the amount of travel between the two sides is limited, the body of the car will not roll/lean as much. One thing to note is that with the decreased rear suspension travel, the back end tends to have less traction at the limits. Often, this will lead to oversteer, whereas a stock Passat will understeer.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2003, 11:35:48 PM »

velo

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.alankrobertson.com
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2003, 08:29:28 PM »
Hey Win,
I can't explain exactly how it works, but work it does.  There's this one on-ramp to the 6th Ave freeway I hit regularly (at speed) and I can definitely feel less understeer now.  The back end feels like it almost wants to break free, but it doesn't.  Feels nice and balanced.  We should put together a drive one weekend and you can try it out yourself.  I wanna try out your car too, see what those coilovers and 18's feel like.  8O
lan
2000 1.8T 5spd

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2003, 10:02:39 PM »
Thanks Alan, it was a rhetorical question, actually...but I would love to see the difference in the feel...I wonder how much better my car would handle with one, that's fo sho!

Chas

• Modded
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2003, 06:10:32 PM »
O-Bar and the bar by Shine Racing do a simular thing to a true rear sway bar and a t a cheaper price. But there is a good amount of drilling to be done to install these bars. I have the O-Bar and it is a nice improvement over stock. It makes the car's handling more nuetral and if driven right, you can get the car to actually 4 wheel drift through a corner. It's a coolfeeling in deed. The first time I got it to drift was on a funky right hand, 90 degree banked corner. The feeling was sheer bliss. And the power was on the whole way through the corner. Talk about a fast corner!  8O  :lol:  :lol:

But over all, I think a true RSB is a better deal. The Nuespeed bar is adjustable and a nicely engineered part. Though the cost is $250.  8O  :roll:
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
Some Sedans haul families,
this one hauls ASS!

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2003, 07:19:51 PM »
Quote from: "Chas"
But over all, I think a true RSB is a better deal. The Nuespeed bar is adjustable and a nicely engineered part. Though the cost is $250.  8O  :roll:

YEah, that's my problem with them too...$250 is a lot more than I paid for them from Neuspeed for my Sciroccos...They were about $150!

velo

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2003, 06:19:39 PM »
Got mine for $218 shipped as part of a group buy on cb5  8)
lan
2000 1.8T 5spd

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2003, 08:08:43 PM »
Alan, do you think it was worth $218 though?  How much could you buy for $218?  Hmmm, let's see...An FK badgeless grill ($89), a W8 light mod ($52) and maybe a couple other small miscellaneous parts...

velo

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2003, 09:51:50 PM »
Well, I would probably be ok with how my car handled without the sway bar, but I had the cash and I can tell it corners better now, so yes, it was worth it.
Besides, I would almost always choose to spend money on performance mods over cosmetic stuff.   :wink:
lan
2000 1.8T 5spd

Chas

• Modded
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2003, 11:27:23 PM »
I'd have to agree with Alan. The improvement in handling is far superior to any apperance mod or any light switch, ever! It's something you'll use and appriciate every time you drive the car.  :)  :)
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
Some Sedans haul families,
this one hauls ASS!

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2003, 03:05:29 PM »
Damn!  I may have to bite the bullet and throw down the $200...

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2003, 11:29:18 PM »
Throw down....THROW DOWN....then let me drive your car around the track... 8)

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2003, 11:57:15 PM »
Anytime Jon my brother!