Author Topic: New to the Rockies  (Read 1960 times)

B5_Alex

• Lightly Modded
New to the Rockies
« on: December 14, 2004, 02:18:16 PM »
As some of you may remember from a previous post, I just recently moved to Vail valley from NYC. Up untill last week I was driving my wife's 2.slow Golf and I was miserable. Last week I went back to NYC got all my stuff loaded in a Pensky truck with my B5 on a car carrier in tow and took leasurly 2000 mile drive over. Now that I am driving my B5 I got a big grin on my face again, but as I am adjusting to life in the mountains I have few questions that I hope RMCB5 can help me with.

* It looks like although the lower octane (91 vs 93 or 94) may not be affecting too much the car's performance the high altitude makes my turbo max boost a few lb's less. I have a GIAC chip that used to spike to almost 20 ... and now the best I've seen is about 17. What are your observations.

* Running up the hills makes my oil temp go crazy ... I think I got up to 230 F last night driving up Vail pass. I think that's normal, since probably my turbo was glowing bright red by the time I got to the top, but just wanted to ask anyway. I'm currently using M1 0w40 oil and M1 205 oil filter, but will probably switch to the new big OEM filter on my next oil chage. Maybe that could reduce the temps by a few degrees.

* Is there a good VAG tuning store around Denver? I don't mind ordering things on-line, but some times I preffer dealing with someone in person.

By the way just as I side note, I am happy to report that the 2.0 MAF works great on my ATW engine. I can't wait to try my new Nokian RSi's in the snow.

Thanks for all your help in advance.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
New to the Rockies
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2004, 02:35:59 PM »
Glad you're getting all settled in!

I would think that while turbos thrive here the lack of oxygen and change inair pressure may be affecting the boost?  I think Denver Pat might be better ont his topic as he is the boostmaster.

Oil temp wise, well again, with the altitiude, your car is going to work much harder to achieve it's goals here than at sea level.

I know on my Audi I saw the oil temp gauge move up on the hills (didn't have an oil temp gague in the Passat so it was new for me).  As soon as I got off the really steep hills it settled back down.  Keep in mind I was driving 100 - 110 up the hills with the A/C on through the desert :)

So if you're pushing the car on the inclines your oil temps is going to go up, just keep an eye on it.  Driving at altitude just requires a few personal adjustments and you'll be fine.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

New to the Rockies
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2004, 02:35:59 PM »

Chas

• Modded
New to the Rockies
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2004, 03:17:56 PM »
Alex, Jay is correct. You are naturally going to see a lower boost reading here in the Rocky mountains. Plain and simple, just like you, your car likes to be a a lower elevation. But unlike you, your car will adapt quickly to it's new environment. The result is a lower boost reading.

I have a '99 1.8T AEB engine in my car with APR tuning software, FMIC, larger Wix 51333 oil filter and a whole bunch of other mods that make the car fly up those hills. Thye best I ever see going up Vail Pass is about 17 to 18 PSI. I might see 19 PSI down here in the city (Aurora), but that is on a really good day. Again, that's just life here at altitude.

As for high oil temps, the only other thing you could do beyond the larger oil filter is an oil cooler salvaged from an older VW engine. Ask Rusty here and over at CB5.com for info on his retro oil cooler he fit to his 1.8T. I think I might do that very same thing for my car soon. I just need the time to pull it off.

As for a store with good VAG-tuning experience, well that's another story. There a few shops in the Denver area that can fix your car for you, but as for a good VAG tuner, we don't really have a complete, one stop kind of place here. There are a bunch of smaller places here and there that will sell some of the stuff. But as for a single store, not really. Get to know your UPS or FedEx driver real well so they will leave your packages at the door.

Good luck and Welcome to our little place on the web!!!
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
Some Sedans haul families,
this one hauls ASS!

B5_Alex

• Lightly Modded
New to the Rockies
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2004, 03:27:22 PM »
Thanks for the responces and the welcome! I am not used to people being so nice ... (lived 13 years in NYC :lol: ) ... it's spooky.
If you go to play in the mountains and see a Colorado red B5 with R1.8T on the back, say HI!
PS. I also have a VAG-COM in case anyone needs it while in the area.

Alex

Chas

• Modded
New to the Rockies
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2004, 03:37:56 PM »
I spent most of my summer driving up and down the Vail valley going to Eagle for the Kobe Bryant case. I know all the spots the cops like to hang out. I got to the point where it took me only two hours 20 minutes to get from my house in Aurora to Eagle.

Yeah, that means I was pushing it a bit. With a properly tuned 1.8T there are few cars that can keep up and do 90 mph approaching the Eisenhower tunnel! Turbos are great in the mountains!!!! NA cars fall on their faces at 11000 ft above sea level no matter how many cylinders they have.
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
Some Sedans haul families,
this one hauls ASS!

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
New to the Rockies
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2004, 04:30:51 PM »
Quote from: "B5_Alex"
Thanks for the responces and the welcome! I am not used to people being so nice ... (lived 13 years in NYC :lol: ) ... it's spooky.
If you go to play in the mountains and see a Colorado red B5 with R1.8T on the back, say HI!
PS. I also have a VAG-COM in case anyone needs it while in the area.

Alex

Were you down in Denver at all recently? Do you have a red antennae?

Someone spotted this on VWVortex:

Saw some guy in a red B5 Passat with an Cupra .:R badge with 1.8T(T in red). With a red stubby antenna.......... Definitely..............different.

Alex, I'm not sure if I have yet, but would you mind if I adde you to our site listed list of people with VAG-COMs?

B5_Alex

• Lightly Modded
New to the Rockies
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2004, 04:36:27 PM »
Yes, I was in Denver yesterday, small red antena, NY licence plate and all and all. Droped off the Pensky truck in Boulder and got my wife from the airport.

I am registered on the VAG-COM list, but now that you reminded me I have to change the address.

Alex

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
New to the Rockies
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2004, 04:40:48 PM »
I was thinking of this list ;)

http://www.rmcb5.com/ftopict-755.html

We get a lot of requests for folks in the mountians and I think you'd be the first!

B5_Alex

• Lightly Modded
New to the Rockies
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2004, 06:01:43 PM »
Please add me to it ... I'll be happy to help. I do all mods myself or at least with as little help as possible.

Alex

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
New to the Rockies
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2004, 06:42:22 PM »
Added! Thanks!

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
New to the Rockies
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2004, 06:43:38 PM »
Hey Alex!  Welcome to the club!  It is a big environmental and social change going from NYC to the rockies.  People are often "go out of their way" friendly, which can take a little getting used to.  It ends up being great and after a while, you'll wonder why everyone is not like that.

I come from the southeast, where I always though everyone was friendly, but after moving out here, I realized people are just really damn happy most of the time.  Must have something to do with all of the sunlight...

Welcome to the club and we hope to see you at a GTG one of these days!

Winston
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
New to the Rockies
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2004, 07:00:34 PM »
Wahoo a transplant, welcome to the club!  Now we just need to convert you to a Bronco fan!  lol.

I think you will find the hospitality in Colorado enlightning, and especially in this club.  Everyone here is super cool and willing to lend an hand or give an answer to your questions.  I look forward to seeing you sometime.
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

Noob_Shum

• Modded
New to the Rockies
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2004, 07:09:45 PM »
Welcome!!  :)  I can't really help answer your questions, but I can say hello!  :wink:

Jonathan

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
New to the Rockies
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2004, 08:08:04 PM »
Welcome! I can't add anything that hasn't been said already except, welcome to the Rockies and the club!
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner