Author Topic: competition tires on a daily driver (summer)?  (Read 1899 times)

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
competition tires on a daily driver (summer)?
« on: December 14, 2004, 01:49:27 PM »
I'm looking at some OZ SLs for sale, they are 17s and wrapped with Yohokama Advan A048 'competition' tires. Now, I know these would be absolutely badass on the track, but I don't have any tracks between me and where I work or any other place I go... lets just say my car would be lucky to taste track tarmac once in a year.

So how would competition tires do elsewhere? This would be a summer set, so of course no winter driving; but should I be afraid to get caught in a rainstorm?

They look like this:
Quick! Everyone out of the universe!
New: 2006 A4 Avant
Old: 2001 A4 1.8TQM

coveredbytheblood

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2004, 02:12:31 PM »
Dont have any input to answer your question, but those look sweet.  Can anyone say, Slick?
Coveredbytheblood, JC's blood

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2004, 02:12:31 PM »

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2004, 02:18:08 PM »
yeah, they look awesome and I'm sure they are suuuuuper sticky - I just don't want to go water skiing in my car! 8O

B5_Alex

• Lightly Modded
racing slicks
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2004, 02:33:33 PM »
Even if you decide to drive those on the road everyday (which I don't recommend) your problems will be short lived because they will wear out in about 4-5000 miles at best if you take it easy on them, and then you'll need to buy another set anyway. I would love to try those out on a track though. Water tracktion is probably non-existent with those sine they were not intended for that. Chances are that if the person that owned those before you was serious about racing he/she probably shaved them for racing already.

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2004, 02:40:07 PM »
Thanks, I was afraid of that. Didn't think tires like that would be much in the treadlife department. Still might be a possibility if they could get me thru the summer, I could buy a new set for the next season (2006). It does feel like such an awful waste to wear them out driving around town. hrmph.

(Welcome to the board BTW... and to CO. :) )

B5_Alex

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2004, 02:58:22 PM »
Thank you ...

What wheels are those wrapped around? Let us know if you get them and don't forget to post pictures!

Alex

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2004, 03:00:54 PM »
They are on some 17" OZ superleggeras. Just one of the MANY wheels i'm considering for next summer. sheesh, all this searching is giving me a headache! :D

B5_Alex

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2004, 03:04:07 PM »
Sorry, I should have read the original post better  :oops:  :oops:

Chas

• Modded
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2004, 03:26:43 PM »
Charles, Alex is right. They won't last very long on the street and they could even be a major issue for you again. If you know what I mean. And I think you do.

Track tires are great for the track. Street tires are great for the street. It's when the two tires trade rolls that things go badly. I used to have a '63 MG Midget that was a full on track car. It wasn't licensed to be on the street at all. It had a fully free exhaust with no sort of muffler and it had GoodYear Eagle racing slicks on it. Nasty tires to say the least. Sticky when hot and dry, totally useless when wet and cold. And the leaked air all the time. They where full on race tires and that's what they do.

I'd suggest not risking any damage to your Audi by streeting those tires. I'd get a nice set of performance tires that will last a little longer on the street and provide some sort of wet weather performance.
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
Some Sedans haul families,
this one hauls ASS!

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2004, 03:31:12 PM »
Thanks for the input - I'll take these off the list.

The search continues!