Author Topic: New Suspension Issue  (Read 2316 times)

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
New Suspension Issue
« on: June 12, 2003, 06:16:08 PM »
I just got my new springs in and I'm now getting a little of this ..../ \...with my rear wheels. Is this just an alignment issue or something else? I feel it makes me look like a Hon-- :cry:
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
New Suspension Issue
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2003, 09:31:51 PM »
JR-

This is to be expected.  All of our cars get this when lowered.  It's not necessarily a bad thing.
The good:  A little more camber than stock allows the tires to grip better when cornering hard.
The bad:  This inside of your tires will wear a little faster than the outside

Solution #1:  Buy a camber kit for $500 - $1,000 to correct it.  AWE sells them for A4s.  Not sure about Passats.
Solution #2:  Drive the hell out of your car around every corner you hit.   :twisted:

I prefer the second solution as it is cheaper and a hell of a lot more fun.  I've found my tires don't really wear significantly faster on the inside since I've lowered mine.  It's not that significant unless you have a major drop.  Keep in mind tire rotation is a little more imprortant now.  If you haven't had your car aligned in the past coulpe years now may be a good time (job situation aside) to take care of that.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

Rocky Mountain Club B5

New Suspension Issue
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2003, 09:31:51 PM »

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
New Suspension Issue
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2003, 12:24:14 AM »
Oh, I hear that...the second solution sounds much more like the one I would like to do. The alignment is going to come next week probably as I may take a drive to SLC for a wedding. Alignments are all four right or only two? I've only ever  had the front done...at least as far as I could tell. Any good places for that?
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
New Suspension Issue
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2003, 12:31:00 AM »
Not sure where to go for the alignment.  Look for a newer Hunter balancing machine.  Someone here should be chiming in soon to suggest somewhere.  Not sure if it should be all four, as it's FWD.  I always do four, but I'm quattro.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
New Suspension Issue
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2003, 02:19:11 PM »
I've only had to do mine once the whole time I owned my car, so I'm not the person to ask.  I do need to get mine aligned again soon as well, so I hope someone chimes in with some recommendations as well.

How is it driving?
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

Rascal

• Stock
New Suspension Issue
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2003, 02:43:07 PM »
Stan's Alignment in Aurora has the Hunter machine.  They are off of Colfax and. well, I forgot.  They are in the Yellow pages.

I had front alignmenton my 4Mo recently and it was in the $40 range, if I remember correctly.  Four-wheel is about $78.

velo

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.alankrobertson.com
New Suspension Issue
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2003, 08:55:22 PM »
Stan's is where I had my car aligned recently.  Chas had recommended them in the past.  I don't think there is much (if any) adjustment that can be done in the rear of our cars.  Stan's charged me under $40 and took less than 30 mins.
lan
2000 1.8T 5spd