Author Topic: Got a New Manifold and Throttle Body  (Read 3629 times)

Scuba2001

• Modded
Got a New Manifold and Throttle Body
« on: December 17, 2004, 05:16:37 PM »
A few weeks ago, I bought vteccured's (from CB5) intake manifold.  It needed new fuel injector inserts, and since I had things apart, I went ahead and ordered new o rings for the injectors as well.  With the new manifold installed, the response is amazingly smoother.  The intake runners have a slight polishing done to them, along with being gasket matched to my NewSouth performance gasket.  Im really liking he professional polishing on this manifold.  Very nice unit (since the one I polished wasnt so great).

I also sanded and painted the throttle body.  I cleaned the inside of the unit out and applied a thin layer of metal polish to the surface to keep small amounts of oil building up (which has decreased since the catch can installation) on the surface.  The catch can has really worked well at keeping the oil out of the intake track, so that makes me happy.  The throttle body is painted a semi-flat black, which really helps to attract the eye more at the manifold now then the ugly wax covered original coating on the TB.  So, on with the pictures.

Tell me what you all think.

Last time with these wheels, finally

Steve

coveredbytheblood

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2004, 05:42:29 PM »
OOOOO  shiny.  Or slammin!!!
Coveredbytheblood, JC's blood

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2004, 05:42:29 PM »

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2004, 07:32:08 PM »
*mockingly* I gotta new polished manifold  and throttle body....:lol:

Sweet!
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Scuba2001

• Modded
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2004, 03:25:43 AM »
Hahaha, yeah a little.  I wanted to try and polish the TB up, but with all those little areas, it would be impossible.

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2004, 07:57:41 PM »
Lookin' good.  So is the inside polished, too?
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

Kelly

• Stock
    • http://www.llewsirc.com
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2004, 12:47:12 AM »
bling bling..
i like it.
URL=http://www.llewsirc.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=251]I HAVE A TOWNHOUSE FOR SALE IN COLORADO SPRINGS.. BUY IT!![/URL]

tweakeDub

• Lightly Modded
    • http://
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2004, 03:34:47 AM »
I like it, but are there any local shops that can polish the stock intake runners?

Kelly

• Stock
    • http://www.llewsirc.com
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2004, 04:13:25 AM »
depending on the runners J&S (c springs) might be able to do it. if not andrea/scott @ joule my know someone.
URL=http://www.llewsirc.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=251]I HAVE A TOWNHOUSE FOR SALE IN COLORADO SPRINGS.. BUY IT!![/URL]

tweakeDub

• Lightly Modded
    • http://
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2004, 04:24:05 AM »
Thanks I will keep that in mind, for when I do it and then talk to you then about it

Scuba2001

• Modded
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2004, 12:32:30 PM »
The inside of the runners were not fully polished.  For a forced induction car, its not needed to go that far.  As long as you clean up the large burrs form the mold and gasket match the intake runners to the gasket and head, you're all set.

Now, what really makes a difference is when you polish the exhaust manifold.  That would yeild better results then polishing the intake manifold.

Chas

• Modded
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2004, 03:20:29 PM »
Steve, I can't see the pictures. Are the links defunct now?

I'd love to see what you've done. You're going to guilt me into doing some more work on my car at this rate!
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
Some Sedans haul families,
this one hauls ASS!

Scuba2001

• Modded
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2004, 03:48:40 PM »
Quote from: "Chas"
I'd love to see what you've done. You're going to guilt me into doing some more work on my car at this rate!

Yeah, it seems like the server went down again for my hosting.  Not sure whats going on with it.  Should be bakc up shortly though.

But yeah, it will be good stuff once its back up.  You can never go without doing any work on the car.   :twisted:

Chas

• Modded
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2004, 04:20:49 PM »
Quote from: "Scuba2001"
Quote from: "Chas"

Yeah, it seems like the server went down again for my hosting.  Not sure whats going on with it.  Should be bakc up shortly though.

But yeah, it will be good stuff once its back up.  You can never go without doing any work on the car.   :twisted:

Yeah, I know that. I have a couple things piling up that I need to do. I have one of the ASP lightwieght crank pullies to install. (my second one  :roll: ) and I need to do a little work with the front bumper cover. I hit someone a couple weeks ago. Nothing too serious but the bumper cover needs to be re-seated and trimmed better for the FMIC.

I think the next thing will be a set of HID ballasts and bulbs for the Euro projector headlamps. I really need to see better at night.  8O

Get that server fixed man, I want to see your mods! it sounds real cool!
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
this one hauls ASS!

Scuba2001

• Modded
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2004, 01:03:04 AM »
Server is back up and running.  Enjoy.

Chas

• Modded
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2004, 05:14:06 AM »
Nice Steve. Real nice! I love the black TB, the intake mani really stands out like you said.
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
this one hauls ASS!

Rusty

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2004, 12:42:13 PM »
That's very tasty.  Thumbs up!

If you really want to wake-up your motor, your next step is to open up the intake ports to match your gasket-manifold. :D

It really looks good, Steve.  I'd be tempted to do something similar, except starting this summer the whole manifold plus the ugly wax-covered TB is going to be enclosed in some kind of heat-shield... 8O  :roll:  :)
i]AEB Engines have better-flowing heads and a real throttle cable...[/i]

Scuba2001

• Modded
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2004, 10:30:10 PM »
Thanks Chas and Rusty.

I wouldnt mind going the ports on the head, but I dont want to risk getting stuff down into the combustion chamber and I dont trust shaving cream that well to do it yet.  I'd rather save all of that and get the exhaust manifold ported and gasket matched.  That would make a much bigger difference.

Rusty, you and your heatshielding stuff has just gone mad.  Let me know how it turns out once its all done.

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2004, 04:57:31 PM »
Steve, that looks really good.  I have so much I'd love to do to my car, but lack of time to do anything right now.  I definitely would like to get the Projector lenses going this coming year.  I think I may have to make that a resolution.

Too bad you are getting rid of those wheels.  They really are classic.
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

Scuba2001

• Modded
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2004, 08:19:03 PM »
Quote from: "ColoradoB5"
Too bad you are getting rid of those wheels.  They really are classic.

So much to do and so little time.  Something that Im sure we all run out of at the end of the day.  If we only had more time.

Thanks.  The wheels are showing their age, and just time for something new.  Im excited to see what it all looks like once I get them though.

Rusty

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2005, 01:41:48 PM »
...I wouldnt mind going the ports on the head, but I dont want to risk getting stuff down into the combustion chamber and I dont trust shaving cream that well to do it yet.  I'd rather save all of that and get the exhaust manifold ported and gasket matched.  That would make a much bigger difference.

I respectfully disagree.  You'd be surprised at how much havoc the mismatched lip on the intake ports causes, far more than on the manifold, because the manifold mismatch is going from a smaller to a larger opening, whereas the intake port is going from a larger to a smaller opening - that lip creates a lot of turbulence and stalls the airflow at a critical point.  A lot of gain to be got there.  And really, the shaving cream works great!  Gillette Foamy.  Accept no substitute.
Rusty, you and your heatshielding stuff has just gone mad.  Let me know how it turns out once its all done.

LOL - Well, somehow I've got to get the IAT's down in hot weather.  I'll also be installing a mister on the FMIC, and possibly water injection.  I don't want to see ANY heat-induced timing retard this summer.
i]AEB Engines have better-flowing heads and a real throttle cable...[/i]

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2005, 02:04:28 PM »
Quote from: "Rusty"
I don't want to see ANY heat-induced timing retard this summer.

Hey who you calling a retard!?  LOL!
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.