Author Topic: Brake pad warning  (Read 2059 times)

BrianJlenaghan

• n00balicious
Brake pad warning
« on: December 21, 2004, 05:53:35 PM »
My "check brake pads" warning light came on. Does any one know how much material is left when the warning flashes. I can not get the car into the garage for repair until after the holidays so i was trying to work out how much i have usable friction material.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Brake pad warning
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2004, 05:57:55 PM »
I believe the brake pad warning light is similar to things like the oil and coolant warning lights, it is something that would most likely require immediate attention.  

I usually replace my pads before getting that low.  You would run the risk of rubbing metal on metal and damaginf the rotors.  You could just pop one of the front wheels off and take a peak and see hoe much is left.  I would think it would be pretty marginal

Since I've never gotten that far I don't know for sure, but better to be safe than sorry.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

Brake pad warning
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2004, 05:57:55 PM »

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Brake pad warning
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2004, 09:57:15 PM »
from my understanding, less than 3mm pad depth...not much...get them changed.

shummer

• Modded
Brake pad warning
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2004, 01:20:39 AM »
Since the Passats seem to wear differently in that the rears wear faster than the fronts, your rear pads must be nothing (warning indicators only on front pads). I'm surprised your brake fluid didn't go down enough to set the "BRAKE" light off.

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
Brake pad warning
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2004, 02:53:43 AM »
You'll be alright for a couple weeks, but don't procrastinate longer than necessary.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Brake pad warning
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2004, 10:39:34 AM »
I made the mistake of procrastinating too long on my rears. Needless to say, I broke a caliper tool and cause myself at least two days of headache. Get them change very soon.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

BrianJlenaghan

• n00balicious
update
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2004, 07:12:17 AM »
Got car to garage today. Rears were fine for another 3-4 months. Although fronts were not completely worn they still require pads and discs.

Thanks for your advice