Author Topic: Who knows fuel economy?  (Read 1591 times)

bodaddy

• Stock
    • http://
Who knows fuel economy?
« on: January 02, 2005, 09:53:02 PM »
So had the car for about 2 months or so now.  I get about 340 miles out of a tank.  The very first time I filled it up I got a little over 400.  I don't drive like a maniac most of the time.  I live in Arvada and work on the Airforce base, so there is a bit of a drive.  I figured I can get a little better than this.  Anyone have any tricks or ideas, I would appreciate it.  Oh yeah 99 Passat variant I-4.

Thanks,
Shawn
 wish the real world would just stop hassling me.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Who knows fuel economy?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2005, 10:40:49 PM »
When I had my 1.8T I would average about 27 with my commuting which was sitting in traffic for a little bit then fast moving highway then a little sitting.

When i would road trip 30mpg was pretty much the norm.

After I was chipped my Average was about the same.  Int heory it should get a little better.

If you start doing things like adding on larger wheels and all that the avegare will go down.  If you run 15" stocks you should have rockstar average.

Also, keep in mind this time of year all gas stations are required to oxygenate the fules and so forth for emissions reasons.  It does take a toll.  They say it doesn't but I always felt a lack of power translating into a heavier foot.

I recommend using Shell (premium 91+ octane) and adding a cleaner about every month or so (wither techron or the VW/Audi additive). Make sure the air filter is clean and the plugs are in good shape.  Any of the above can cause some variations in fuel efficiency. Also, tire pressure, make sure your tires have the right psi.

Hope some of this helps.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

Who knows fuel economy?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2005, 10:40:49 PM »

jfrahm

• Modded
Who knows fuel economy?
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2005, 12:42:36 AM »
I get worse MPG with the winter blend fuel.
2001 Audi A8 Quattro 4.2l

gragravar

• Supercar
Who knows fuel economy?
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2005, 02:22:05 AM »
winter fuel takes down my mileage about 15%.

wider and grippier tires also reduce mileage.

adding a rack reduces mileage, putting a top box on kills it.

I have also noticed my mileage is hugely impacted by how much turbo the car is using.  for my car, the mileage drops by 25+% if cruising over 3000RPMs vs below 2700RPM.

All this netted out that while recently chasing another RMCB5 member across NE at 95+ I was averaging only about 14 mpg for the fully loaded allroad with the top box.  ugg.  :?
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Who knows fuel economy?
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2005, 04:21:21 AM »
Quote from: "gragravar"

All this netted out that while recently chasing another RMCB5 member across NE at 95+ I was averaging only about 14 mpg for the fully loaded allroad with the top box.  ugg.  :?

haha, that is funny Andrew.  I average about 22mpg on my 2.7T. (when I was chipped, and drove the snot out of it, I averaged 13mpg...guess that is why the turbos blew, hehe).  My mini, I average about 25, but I drive the piss out of it....and tires make a difference there as well.  When I had 15" rims on the Mini, and drove conservative like, I got 38mpg.  On my 2003 1.8T Passat with 15" 195's I got an average of 31ish mpg, but when I switched to the 17" 235's, it dropped to 24....those rims and tires were WAY heavier than the smaller 15"....but they looked damn good.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Who knows fuel economy?
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2005, 10:40:48 AM »
I avereage 25-27 street driving in winter...my fuel economy goes way down even with 93.5.
On the highway I usually get 30+.
In summer my avereages go up by about 3-5mpg.
I would suspect you're about normal as I only get about 400mi. out of a tank.
I-4, but the sedan version.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

bodaddy

• Stock
    • http://
Who knows fuel economy?
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2005, 09:03:31 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys.  I forget about that winter blend.  They don't have to do that where I come from.  I still can't get used to this cold thing.

Shawn
 wish the real world would just stop hassling me.