Author Topic: Midnight Ride  (Read 5485 times)

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Midnight Ride
« on: June 19, 2003, 04:51:04 PM »
I was listening to Crystal Method the other day and said to myself, how fun would it be to blast down the interstate in the middle of the night with my fellow B5er's at well, fast.
That would be very fun I said to myself....hmmm...anybody down for a midnight ride in July??
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

WendyDarling

• n00balicious
Midnight Ride
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2003, 05:02:31 PM »
I would definitely be up for that :)

Rocky Mountain Club B5

Midnight Ride
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2003, 05:02:31 PM »

madigan

• Modded
Midnight Ride
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2003, 05:20:26 PM »
Sounds like fun to me - I'm in!

Madigan :)
mad wagon

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Midnight Ride
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2003, 05:47:05 PM »
Hey I'm up for that...

Where is a good place though?
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Midnight Ride
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2003, 05:47:22 PM »
Could be a sweet idea, lets run with it and see what we can work out.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Midnight Ride
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2003, 05:56:55 PM »
My friend said he did one last fall and ran every major interstate in the metro area but then you have to worry about traffic, police and it turns in to Need For Speed...
Something like that could be an idea or I could pull out a map and take a look at some other roads to fly on...
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

UberGrrl

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.amandaspear.com/ubergrrl/index.html
Midnight Ride
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2003, 01:18:33 AM »
The AW guys do this all the time, I've been on a couple of them with Pat- I'd recommend doing some canyons or backroads that we are familiar with, less cops and traffic generally...
MWJD?

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Midnight Ride
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2003, 04:30:26 PM »
I would agree with that. Although being somewhat new to the driving territory here, I would welcome some suggestions and then we could set a date for July.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
Midnight Ride
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2003, 11:59:12 PM »
I'm in.   :twisted:   My schedule is very flexible, so just say when.   Up Morrison Rd to Evergreen, up Mt. Evans and back would be nice.  Of course ya gotta stop at Perkins or something similar afterwards.   :wink:
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Midnight Ride
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2003, 05:35:40 PM »
Sweet deal, would Friday or Saturday nights be better? I've never done the Mt. Evans road so that would be fun for me? Any takers?
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Chas

• Modded
Midnight Ride
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2003, 05:52:59 PM »
Mt. Evans road at night? No F'ing way!!! For one, I don't want to die. For another, you wouldn't be able to see all the great sights from up there at night. That road is deffinantly a day time only road.

Is it even open at night?

But over all, I think I would have to bow out of this little GTG. Though it sounds fun. Having kids that tend to jump on top of you first thing in the morning after a long night really sucks! I did a lot of those kinds of driving events back in the day when kids weren't in my picture. Midnight road rallies are way too much fun. And Kleig light rallies are even more fun.

Get this, all the cars in the event start from a high point in the foothills. At the destination point there is a huge Kleig light (search light) set up, panning the night sky. It's on for ten minutes or untill the last car has left the staging area, then off it goes for about half an hour. Then it's on again for about 5 minutes. Then off again for another half hour. It goes on like this untill everyone finds the light! No directions or clues. Just madness and mayhem!  :lol:  :lol: Of course the car with the shortest drive time and fewest miles wins.

Ahhhh, the old days...
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
Some Sedans haul families,
this one hauls ASS!

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Midnight Ride
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2003, 06:30:37 PM »
Dang! That's sounds freakn' sweet! Like I said before, I don't know roads so I take suggestions....hehehe...I like the klieg thing...
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

WendyDarling

• n00balicious
Midnight Ride
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2003, 07:14:12 PM »
Jeez no doubt, Chas...that sounds like fun  :P  

Well Pat, where do the Audi guys drive?  That time I rode with Rian I was too busy concentrating on the talkabouts, Big Head Todd, sharp corners at 60 mph, 120 mph on I-70, and hanging on to the camcorder  :wink:   Dang that was fun, too :)

And JR don't know if you ever go on Vortex, but there's usually some sort of cruise happening on Saturday nights.  It's a younger crowd than us for the most part, but Scott and I went this last Saturday night and it was pretty cool.  Saw tons of sweet cars.  There were over 20 that showed up...more than they'd had in the past.  They used to mainly stick around downtown, but with that many cars it proved impossible to keep together, of course.  Once we changed plans and got on the interstate it was a good time :) No crazy antics, or showboating...just some "spirited" driving ;)

~Wendy

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
Midnight Ride
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2003, 07:17:03 PM »
Yeah, Chas is probably right.  Mt. Evans would be a fun daytime drive, but the consequences of going off are maybe a bit severe for a night drive.  I wouldn't mind finding some more roads like the last drive we did down by the Rampart Range.  There's gotta be some other good stuff like that down there.  I'm thinking about waking up early this Saturday and going down to see the Pikes Peak Hill Climb, so I'm not sure about driving this weekend.  BTW, anyone else wanna go?
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
Midnight Ride
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2003, 07:19:05 PM »
Quote from: "Wendy Darling"
Jeez no doubt, Chas...that sounds like fun  :P  

Well Pat, where do the Audi guys drive?  That time I rode with Rian I was too busy concentrating on the talkabouts, Big Head Todd, sharp corners at 60 mph, 120 mph on I-70, and hanging on to the camcorder  :wink:   Dang that was fun, too :)~Wendy

The Audi guys don't have a set place to go, but a couple times we've gone up Lookout Mountain, to that gambling town (?), and Golden Gate Park.  All very cool drives; all very curvy.
-Chuck Patterson

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Midnight Ride
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2003, 04:39:12 PM »
Looks like there is one scheduled with Coloraudi:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=931195

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Midnight Ride
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2003, 08:11:42 PM »
Who's going? I'd hate to be the only rep...providing my wife lets me go....
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
Midnight Ride
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2003, 08:25:40 PM »
Quote from: "TLJR20v"

So far me, Jon, Andrew, and some others I don't know including a 356 racer, Lingenfelter 'Vette, M Roadster, S4 (old and new) and maybe one or two others.
-Chuck Patterson

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Midnight Ride
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2003, 08:28:45 PM »
Mmmmm....I don't think I could keep up...you know no chip and all, I may have to buy some HID bulbs too :D
Jon's running his AllRoad?
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
Midnight Ride
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2003, 08:41:21 PM »
Mmmmm....I don't think I could keep up...you know no chip and all, I may have to buy some HID bulbs too :D
Jon's running his AllRoad?

No, he's not driving.  He'll go for rides and hang out.  Still a good time, and you get to learn a lot.
-Chuck Patterson

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Midnight Ride
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2003, 08:44:49 PM »
The drives aren't about who has a fast car, sure there will be times that drivers may slightly exceed the posted limits, but it is about having fun and learning more about your car, only at night. :)

So don't be afraid to drive!

shummer

• Modded
Midnight Ride
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2003, 06:46:46 PM »
Quote from: "gietl"
Looks like there is one scheduled with Coloraudi:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=931195

This is the midnight drive happening tonight. I'm not going to this, but I'm going to SCR on Wednesday.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Midnight Ride
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2003, 04:33:07 PM »
Yeeeeeaaaaah....I got hosed....I didn't see Pat, John, Andrew...nobody I knew...
The ride sure did kick some serious ***
I had a guy in an Audi ask me what I did to my car becuase he "just can't keep up"
hehehehehe...I think I need some better brakes...

Maybe the B5ers could take the same road sometime...it was killer!
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
Midnight Ride
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2003, 05:09:03 PM »
Yeeeeeaaaaah....I got hosed....I didn't see Pat, John, Andrew...nobody I knew...
The ride sure did kick some serious ***
I had a guy in an Audi ask me what I did to my car becuase he "just can't keep up"
hehehehehe...I think I need some better brakes...

Maybe the B5ers could take the same road sometime...it was killer!

Dude, I never planned on going.
You gonna be able to make it to SCR Wed?  Jon, Winston and I will be there.  I should be there around 3:30 or so.
Do you know anything about that Audi that couldn't keep up?  Name, car description, etc.   That's pretty bad ass.
-Chuck Patterson

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Midnight Ride
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2003, 05:24:42 PM »
I have no idea who's car it was...I talked to so many guys that night...He was a younger guy with kind of shaggy hair...I just don't think he was driving as agressively as I was anyway...I was rolling enough to scare the crap out of myself a few times...

I don't know about SCR...where's it at? I've a a sister and brother in law coming in that day I'll have to see what's up
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Midnight Ride
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2003, 05:26:40 PM »
Quote from: "Denver Pat"

So far me, Jon, Andrew, and some others I don't know including a 356 racer, Lingenfelter 'Vette, M Roadster, S4 (old and new) and maybe one or two others.

Okay, so I must have messed up? What was this about? SCR?
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
Midnight Ride
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2003, 05:36:06 PM »
SCR is just a couple miles NW of DIA.  Pena north to Tower Rd. exit.  Take Tower north to 96th??  Go west 1/2 mile and it'll be 50 yards on your right.
-Chuck Patterson

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
Midnight Ride
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2003, 05:36:59 PM »
-Chuck Patterson