Author Topic: New Member - LilGTI  (Read 2073 times)

LilGTI

• n00balicious
    • Labout Racing
New Member - LilGTI
« on: January 05, 2005, 11:25:08 PM »
Hi All. Looks like I may be a rarity around here, a VR6 GTI. I met a few of you nice folks at 2nd Creek on New Year's eve and saw almost all of your tail lights as you passed me down the straights :?  Being on a stock suspension and snow tires doesn't make for very fast times (not that I'm complaing of a 1:27.) This was the very first time I've had my daily schlepper on the track and much to my wonderful husband's shagrin even the addition of Zimmerman cross-drilled rotors and Mintex red box pads does not mitigate the extreme weight of the VR6 - I totally cooked (and I do mean cooked!) my brakes and he'll be doing a brake job this weekend. I had a great time but the VR6's "racing" career is obviously over. It was a rather expensive 3 days; it almost would've been cheaper to buy a set of A032's for the race car  :roll:

My husband Andy and I are long time VW owners having both "cut our teeth" on Bugs in our teenage years back in the early 80's. In addition to a "herd" of Bugs, we've owned a Rabbit, a '91 8V GTI, and our current '00 GTI VR6. We're also very involved in the Rocky Mtn Region Porsche Club of America and will (hopefully) be racing in Rocky Mtn Vintage Racing this summer in a 1965 Porsche 911. We've spent our speed budget on the 911 instead of the GTI so I really haven't been able to do the things to it I want to. By far, the '91 was my most favorite car for spirited driving as it had a highly modified suspension and was a total blast to drive. The VR6 is more comfortable and the power is so silky smooth and always there, but it's such a tank! I drove an R32 yesterday and was very tempted.

For those curious minds, the 911 is currently track prepared and was set up for a 2.7RS engine including Boxter S brakes. The crankshaft snapped in the 2.7RS snapped so we're back to the slighly warmed up 2.0L (thus the interest in vintage racing). We've owned the car since 1988. We've also had an '87 944S and a 78 911SC Euro.

Take care all and happy new year!
Blessings!
~Trish
www.LaboutRacing.com
'00 GTI VR6
'65 Porsche 911
'64 Autodynamics Formula Vee
'98 Ford Ranger

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
New Member - LilGTI
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2005, 02:15:57 AM »
Welcome! I wasent at the track but hopefully ill be able to catch you at a GTG sometime soon... I havent been up in a while.

Enjoy the site!

Greg
No time for love, Dr. Jones.

Losers make excuses. Winners make it happen.

"and function, FUNCITON is the key" 
Fugazi

Rocky Mountain Club B5

New Member - LilGTI
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2005, 02:15:57 AM »

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
New Member - LilGTI
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2005, 11:01:43 AM »
Welcome to the club! My wife and I have been talking about rebuilding a custom of some unique sort. She just bought a GLI VR6 (Jetta) and LOVES IT. Mainly 'cause she smokes my heavy butt :roll: .

On another note, hope you and you're husband find a nice internet home here and hope to see you at a GTG soon! I dig the Porsches too...I grew up with a few in the yard :wink:
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

coveredbytheblood

• Heavily Modded
New Member - LilGTI
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2005, 01:22:24 PM »
Hi there.   Nice to have you on the boards.  :)
Coveredbytheblood, JC's blood

shummer

• Modded
New Member - LilGTI
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2005, 02:26:37 PM »
1:27 sounds like a good time to me! I'm not sure if I've broken 1:30. Welcome.

ColoradoMark

• Stock
New Member - LilGTI
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2005, 04:21:17 PM »
Welcome - look forward to seeing you with RMCB5 and the PCA.

Freeride

• Lightly Modded
    • myspace
New Member - LilGTI
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2005, 04:29:38 PM »
welcome!!

You just gotta keep on livin', man. L-I-V-I-N...

LilGTI

• n00balicious
    • Labout Racing
New Member - LilGTI
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2005, 03:02:36 AM »
Quote from: "jayryan"

On another note, hope you and you're husband find a nice internet home here and hope to see you at a GTG soon! I dig the Porsches too...I grew up with a few in the yard :wink:

Hey Jay,

Any of those Porsches still sitting in the yard? Year and make in space provided below, we have a shopping list  :lol:
~Trish
www.LaboutRacing.com
'00 GTI VR6
'65 Porsche 911
'64 Autodynamics Formula Vee
'98 Ford Ranger

gragravar

• Supercar
New Member - LilGTI
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2005, 04:13:04 AM »
Quote from: "LilGTI"
Quote from: "jayryan"

Hey Jay,

Any of those Porsches still sitting in the yard? Year and make in space provided below, we have a shopping list  :lol:

While I doubt JR has any P-cars sitting around - we would have heard about them, I think the other Andrew (well, one of the other Andrew's) is trying to find a good home for a nice 912 if one of those is on your list.

I also have a friend trying to sell a nice 993 Carrera 2.

BTW, welcome to the board.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein