Author Topic: Back from ice racing practice day  (Read 1553 times)

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
Back from ice racing practice day
« on: January 07, 2005, 10:13:45 PM »
Well, back from the practice day. It was fun for the most part, but not nearly as enjoyable as just sliding around in a snowy parking lot.

Imagine a really long line waiting for the carwash... one lap around the icy track that takes about 20 or 30 seconds, then back in line. The good thing is that it was only $5. For a $5 tech inspection fee and $15 race fee you can race on Sunday, at which point you might end up going around the track once and possibly be done for the day. I would much rather just play around for a few hours and actually learn something than spend 20 seconds competing and afterwards wonder what I did wrong.  

It was a good time today, I would recommend checking out the next practice day - not sure when they'll have it again, but there will be at least one more this season.

here are some pics:

Few more subarus and audis showed up later, but this was the early group:

"cheater" bolts:

studs (jeeps with these were taking the corners on 3 wheels lots of times)

cracks - when we drove up at first, the ice was making cracking sounds - kinda scary!

couple of fine lookin A4s lined up waiting for the tracks to be set up:
Quick! Everyone out of the universe!
New: 2006 A4 Avant
Old: 2001 A4 1.8TQM

Noob_Shum

• Modded
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2005, 12:54:49 AM »
That is pretty cool.... but if I heard those CRACKS, uhhhh I probably would have been too scared to drive on it   :P  :lol:   And those "bolts"  didn't look like they would help the cracking, a few hot laps with those things look like it would cut up the ice like some kinda James Bond super spy gagdet  ;)

Jonathan

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2005, 12:54:49 AM »

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2005, 10:33:35 PM »
That looks like fun.  I too am thinking of the last bond flick where the two cars are racing on the ice.
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2005, 12:27:30 AM »
well, rest assured nobody fell thru the ice - nor has anyone ever in the history of the Georgetown ice races. They are really careful about checking ice thickness before letting anyone out there. I think the ice is at least 24" thick.
Quick! Everyone out of the universe!
New: 2006 A4 Avant
Old: 2001 A4 1.8TQM

Chas

• Modded
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2005, 03:46:21 AM »
And from that first picture it looks like you guys were out in the "deep end" of the pool. Down by the damn spillway. If a car was to break through, you'd all be at the bottom of the pond in seconds. Good thing we just had that wicked cold snap. I'm sure that ice is thicker than just 24 inches. More in the order of 36 to 48 inches. Georgetown is pretty high and gets bitterly cold.

Looks like fun!
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
Some Sedans haul families,
this one hauls ASS!