Author Topic: Calling Rusty or Chas  (Read 1771 times)

Scuba2001

• Modded
Calling Rusty or Chas
« on: January 31, 2005, 04:41:22 PM »
Guys, I know both of you use the VagCom to run "dyno" and air/fuel charts from the OBD2 port.  I tried to get with a buddy over the weekend to read out what my car was approximatly putting down.  But, the block he used for his '02 GTI was different then on my '98 Passat.  We tried to log the data, and we got the numbers, but all in Nm.  It was all comma seperated values, and wouldnt work in the spreadsheet he had setup for his data.

So, do you guys have the data sheet and correct blocks to pull the data from?  On his car it was block 120, on mine we pulled 122.  Dunno if it was all right.

Thanks

Chas

• Modded
Calling Rusty or Chas
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2005, 05:32:59 AM »
Yeah, those don't work for us AEB'ers. Our cars don't produce the same data logs as those fancy pants cars with boost sensors.

Do it the old fashion way and pay your $60 and really dyno your car.
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
Some Sedans haul families,
this one hauls ASS!

Rocky Mountain Club B5

Calling Rusty or Chas
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2005, 05:32:59 AM »

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Calling Rusty or Chas
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2005, 10:49:31 AM »
Steve, I know you can pull the o2 voltage, fuel trims and timing retard quite easily (but not the HP) which is usually what Rusty logs when he does his ride- I know Chas has too.
If you want to do that:

fuel trims (block 032)
O2 sensor volts (block 031) (WOT: 3rd from 2K to red)
timing retard (020)

I may actually try and hook up with Chas and try to log some data since my MBC and 252cc's went in and make sure all is cool.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Scuba2001

• Modded
Calling Rusty or Chas
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2005, 12:16:26 PM »
Quote from: "Chas"
Do it the old fashion way and pay your $60 and really dyno your car.

I did but the dyno numbers were all wrong for the whole group of guys.

An '04 stock Jetta 1.8T made 129.xxhp and 13x.xx ft/lbs of tq.  I made 139hp and 184ft lbs tq.  I dont have the copy of the dyno with me here at work, but Ill see if I can get it up online sometime.

There were a few other guys that dynoed as well and made horrible numbers.  Twin screw Lyslom supercharger on G60 Corrado and he only made 128 at the wheels.  The numbers arent even close to even stock numbers at the wheels.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Calling Rusty or Chas
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2005, 12:32:59 PM »
I read about that over on t-region. Can you take it somwhere else?
Better yet, come out here for Dubs Along the Rockies and we can all dyno and drive ;)
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Rusty

• Lightly Modded
Calling Rusty or Chas
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2005, 01:57:16 PM »
You can't get reliable HP directly from any VAG-COM block.

You have to log block 005, which gives time, speed, and RPM.  You have to know the weight of your car, to within 10-20 lbs.  And then you have to drive down a long, straight, flat road, in 3rd or 4th gear, accelerating from 1700-2000 rpm 'til redline, then toss it in neutral and coast down to your starting speed - while logging block 005.  Then you plug the data from block 005 into this spreadsheet:

http://www.ross-tech.net/andy/vwfiles/dynoplot5.xls

I have my own version that eliminates the coastdown, but I'm still refining it.  One or two more steps before I release it.

Steve, I have seen the same kinds of things that you saw, and I'll never pay money for a dyno again.  It costs $5 or so to get your car weighed at a truckstop.

It's a real PITA finding a suitable stretch of road... According to Andy, even 2nd gear runs are reliable, and I believe him - for N/A cars.  For turbo cars there's not enough load to get realistic boost levels.
i]AEB Engines have better-flowing heads and a real throttle cable...[/i]