Author Topic: Hey Everyone.  (Read 7030 times)

jwilker

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.johnwilker.com
Hey Everyone.
« on: January 11, 2005, 08:51:47 PM »
I'm not quite in the area yet, but it's looking like I will be by mid February.

You may know me from CB5, same ID, what can I say, I'm original!

I still have my B5 though I am trying to sell it, and more so now since I'm not wanting to transport it to CO.

At any rate, look forward to interacting and meeting ya'll

J
ohn Wilker
'06 A4 Avant, 2.0T
Blog i
Blog II

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
Hey Everyone.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2005, 09:00:30 PM »
Keep it.  Naturaly asperated engines are useless at higher altitude.

Welcome.
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

Rocky Mountain Club B5

Hey Everyone.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2005, 09:00:30 PM »

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Hey Everyone.
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2005, 01:59:24 PM »
Holy crap John, I didn't know you were moving out this way!  Can't wait to see ya.  What's been going on with you?  We haven't heard from you for a while.
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Hey Everyone.
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2005, 02:05:30 PM »
Sweet! John's gonna be a native!
Welcome!
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

jwilker

• Lightly Modded
Hey Everyone.
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2005, 02:10:06 PM »
Well looks like I spoke too soon. The Company re-negged on their verbal offer. Told her they didn't think it made sense to come out when they were as close as they were to the deadline.

The irony, based on my experience with the Mortgage industry, they'll miss the deadline and want her more and offer more money, to help them. Silly.

SO sorry guys false alarm :( We had already sent out emails and cancelled plans and everything. Loser ass company.
ohn Wilker
'06 A4 Avant, 2.0T
Blog i
Blog II

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Hey Everyone.
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2005, 02:18:05 PM »
Well, cool. Keep you car then ;)
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

jwilker

• Lightly Modded
Hey Everyone.
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2005, 08:04:25 PM »
ha ha. yeah
ohn Wilker
'06 A4 Avant, 2.0T
Blog i
Blog II

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Hey Everyone.
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2005, 08:29:12 PM »
Dammit, now we have to cancel the parade, the dancers and the cow chip tossing contest.

Boris

• Stock
Hey Everyone.
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2005, 01:38:30 AM »
Jay I don't care for the cow shit tossing or the parade, but I protest the cancellation of the dancers. Were they spose to do lap dances too?
Maybe John can just visit for a weekend and we do mini celebration. Just dancers and maybe some booze? What you say.

Hey since you d chief, how many posts do I have to have to have all them helmets?
[size=28]REMEMBER!!!![/size]   Where you go, there you are
Living life of crime ain't no fun. It ought to be OUTLAWed!

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Hey Everyone.
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2005, 02:00:59 AM »
I'll bring the dancers you bring the booze, here are your five helmets you big schmooze.

jwilker

• Lightly Modded
Hey Everyone.
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2005, 02:17:51 AM »
Booze and Dancers? A visit sounds do-able. Plus the GF still wants to learn me how to ski so I'm sure I'll still see CO
ohn Wilker
'06 A4 Avant, 2.0T
Blog i
Blog II

Boris

• Stock
Hey Everyone.
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2005, 03:58:34 AM »
Quote from: "jwilker"
Booze and Dancers? A visit sounds do-able. Plus the GF still wants to learn me how to ski so I'm sure I'll still see CO

Your girlfriend good lookin'?
........................................................................................................

Hey Jay, I got like five helmets laying around. Wanna buy 2 or 3 back? Cheap. :twisted:
[size=28]REMEMBER!!!![/size]   Where you go, there you are
Living life of crime ain't no fun. It ought to be OUTLAWed!

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Hey Everyone.
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2005, 10:34:16 AM »
Boris, you crack me up :P How 'bout giving me some really cool title over at PW :wink: ?
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

jwilker

• Lightly Modded
Hey Everyone.
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2005, 12:27:39 PM »
Quote from: "Boris"

Your girlfriend good lookin'?
........................................................................................................

Hey Jay, I got like five helmets laying around. Wanna buy 2 or 3 back? Cheap. :twisted:

Pretty damn hot if you ask me! :)
ohn Wilker
'06 A4 Avant, 2.0T
Blog i
Blog II

jwilker

• Lightly Modded
Hey Everyone.
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2005, 01:48:25 PM »
Guess who's back? :)

And this time the deal is done and the documents faxed back and forth. She's heading out monday morning. I'll be following in two weeks.

If any has any leads for a Senior ColdFusion developer or Web Architect, let a brutha know.

Also Any leads on good nieghborhoods would be nice.

See ya'll soon :)
ohn Wilker
'06 A4 Avant, 2.0T
Blog i
Blog II

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Hey Everyone.
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2005, 02:01:43 PM »
Look forward to meeting up with you when you guys get out here and get settled in.

There are lots and lots of good places to live, I guess you need to find what is going to work best if you need to commute and so forth.

Most people that move here go right for Highlands Ranch, but I would definitley explore all your options. The housing market, while somehow still a little over priced, is still a buyers market. Well at least it was 2 months ago when I bought my house.

The job market has picked up quite a bit in Colorado, technical jobs are less central as a whole so keep that in mind.

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.rmsolo.org
Hey Everyone.
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2005, 02:08:09 PM »
Welcome!  If you're out in time, come meet the group:

Castlewood Canyon GTG
"The corruption of man is followed by corruption of language." -Emerson

Think you're fast? http://www.rmsolo.org

For the road racer in all of us: http://www.nasarockymountain.com

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
Hey Everyone.
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2005, 02:32:49 PM »
Welcome to CO! :)
Quick! Everyone out of the universe!
New: 2006 A4 Avant
Old: 2001 A4 1.8TQM

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
Hey Everyone.
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2005, 03:09:16 PM »
I remember you John! you gave me a ton of useful information on CB5.
Well, welcome to the club and we look forward to your colorado initiation you, heh, heh, heh...

As for relocating here I would stay away from Highlands Ranch (it's not because I'm a urban snob), it's suburbia at it's worse -- it's really far south from Denver and the traffic on I-25 during rush hour is something you really don't want to experience on a daily basis.  Also you could get lost getting home as it's just acres and acres of sameness.
Stapleton, Lowry, and Belmar are nicer developments that are not that far from downtown -- I'd guess it really depends on where you will be working, like Jay said, there are lots of great places to live all around Denver.

Cheers!
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

shummer

• Modded
Hey Everyone.
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2005, 03:35:16 PM »
PM sent regarding job lead.

jwilker

• Lightly Modded
Hey Everyone.
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2005, 08:22:38 PM »
Thanks all! Much obliged for the info!!

can't wait to start home hunting and looking for work. And driving around. The misses has already agreed to let me trade in the A6 for something quattro :) I'll probably wait a little first though. see where we are and such
ohn Wilker
'06 A4 Avant, 2.0T
Blog i
Blog II

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Hey Everyone.
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2005, 08:32:38 PM »
REally, you NEED awd here. The winters are pretty mild even if you ski every weekend.  However, it is nice to have for the HUGE storms and of course for having fun.  I mean if she gave the go ahead, I'm all for it!

jwilker

• Lightly Modded
Hey Everyone.
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2005, 09:14:52 PM »
gietl, shut the hell up! what's wrong with you?!?

:p you trying to ruin what I've worked hard for here! She doesn't know it's not needed.

:D
ohn Wilker
'06 A4 Avant, 2.0T
Blog i
Blog II

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
Hey Everyone.
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2005, 09:36:53 PM »
You need it. They won't let you on the frozen lake for ice racing without AWD. ;)

jwilker

• Lightly Modded
Hey Everyone.
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2005, 09:56:24 PM »
there we go. That's what I'm talkin' 'bout
ohn Wilker
'06 A4 Avant, 2.0T
Blog i
Blog II

evil_O

• Modded
Hey Everyone.
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2005, 10:23:51 PM »

:p you trying to ruin what I've worked hard for here! She doesn't know it's not needed.

Until she reads this post  :lol:
2006 S4 Sprint Blue
2007 Subaru Wagon 2.5i
2008 Subaru Tribeca (5 pass. Ltd.)

"I hate cops."

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Hey Everyone.
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2005, 11:09:46 PM »

uh...what are you talkin about...maybe you need to re-read the post ;)

jwilker

• Lightly Modded
Hey Everyone.
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2005, 02:23:33 AM »
he he
ohn Wilker
'06 A4 Avant, 2.0T
Blog i
Blog II

jwilker

• Lightly Modded
Hey Everyone.
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2005, 03:46:45 PM »
OK Guys I've been compiling all the input from here and CB5 (cross posted there too).

Here's a preliminary list of places I'd like to look at. Let me know if there's any you think I should not waste my time with. I'll be out in two weeks, and want to try to have as much of a plan as I can. (ass you can see some of your comments are in my research:) )

* Thornton
          o Riverdale Heights
    * Commerce City
          o Reunion/Southlawn Park
          o Fronterra Village
          o Buffalo Mesa
    * Castle Rock
          o Founders Village
          o “Yes, Castle Rock is a nice town, but the commute to Denver is a bitch”
          o “they’re expanding I-25 and adding light-rail at the moment. If you work in the Denver Tech Center, then Castle Rock would be a good choice”
    * Evergreen
    * Cherry Creek
    * WestMinster
          o Village at Harmony Park
    * Littleton
          o Quincy Lake – Plantation – A little expensive
          o The Hearth II
          o Firelight
    * “If money isn’t an issue, I’d go with Greenwood Village or Cherry Hills”
    * Englewood
    * Highlands Ranch
          o “I live across the street from a 3-acre off leash dog area and a 52 acre park”
    * Stapleton
    * Lowry
    * Belmar
    * Parker (I found this one)
          o NeuTowne at Parker
    * Henderson
          o Stillwater
    * Broomfield
          o Red Leaf

My other question. From what I can tell, Highland Ranch and Cherry Hills are either not building new homes, or not actual city names? Thanks for all your input guys, really helped in narrowing the search a bit.
ohn Wilker
'06 A4 Avant, 2.0T
Blog i
Blog II

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
Hey Everyone.
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2005, 04:16:41 PM »
I'll tell you what I know - which is somewhat limited, but I'm very familiar with the northern territories...

Thornton
I Live very close to thornton and there are some nice areas in there, and some not-so-nice. It is about 10 minutes north of downtown, and there is a park-n-ride there for bussing it to work if you're into that (highly recommended).

Commerce City
When people think of Commerce City, they think of the industrial area just north of downtown - and it is nasty looking. However, the areas you listed are WAAAAY out towards the airport so can't even be considered as the same thing. Depends on how far out you want to be. Living close to the airport does have its obvious good points.

Castle Rock
Too far south if there is any chance you'll be working downtown, or anywhere other than the southern end of the tech center. The light rail currently only goes down to littleton which is still about 10 or 15 minutes north of Castle Rock with no traffic. Commuting to town from there during rush hour will have you looking for a new place to live within a month.

Evergreen
Pretty far out - again, depends on where you work and if you can work from home or not. One or two days a week commuting from there probably wouldn't be bad.

Cherry Creek
Good location - close to downtown, north of tech center - TONS of good stuff in the area, lots of shopping and retail, big mall, everything one could ever need is very close by. However, that area is cha-cha-cha CHING! $$$

Westminster
I currently live in Westminster and like it - although it is pretty generic. It is an excellent central location if you want to be between Denver and Boulder - I think it takes me the same amount of time (about 20 minutes) to get to either. I'm moving at the beginning of next month however, but not to get away from Westminster - found a house in Broomfield and its actually 5 miles from where I am now.

Littleton
Highlands Ranch is littleton - or surrounded by it, or in it, or something. I think of them as the same mega-suburb. Lone Tree is in there too. There is currently light rail going into littleton, and it goes up to downtown. Plans are to expand the route, but not sure when that will be completed.

Englewood
This is tech center central - if you work in there, then Englewood would be your best bet. However it is extremely dense, lots of people and lots of traffic all the time.

Parker
Watch out for those Parker cops.... ;)

Parker is as far southeast as you can get and still be considered 'Denver Metro.' It is growing fast as I understand it. But that's about all I know, been through there a few times - wouldn't want to live there since I work downtown and the commute would be nasty.

Broomfield
WOOHOO! Broomfield!! :) As I mentioned above, I'm moving there in early September and have always loved the town. It is about 10 minutes from Boulder and 20 or so from downtown. Yeah, the math doesn't add up from what I said up top, but that is because of proximity to a major highway that goes straight to Boulder.

Something to think about (if you care): Broomfield recently went non-smoking, Boulder is non-smoking, Arvada (south of westminster) is non-smoking but not as strict as the others. There is a large new mall in Broomfield (Flatiron Crossing) and tons of other retail shops around there.

HTH!