Author Topic: sticky buttons!!!  (Read 1859 times)

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
sticky buttons!!!
« on: January 14, 2005, 02:02:40 PM »
Many of the buttons on my stereo and climate controls are glued stuck. I'm assuming the previous owner spilled some sort of sugary beverage from the precariously located cupholder which should have never been used for its intended purpose in the first place.

I've tried squirting windex in there, which would work temporarily -- but they would stick again when it dried. I haven't come up with anything else yet to try in there - any suggestions? I'm hoping to avoid a complete dash overhaul just to clean som buttons. 8O
Quick! Everyone out of the universe!
New: 2006 A4 Avant
Old: 2001 A4 1.8TQM

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.tw34k.com
sticky buttons!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2005, 02:20:14 PM »
For some reason whenever it's cold my defroster button gets sticky. I've tried when it's warm out and the button moves just fine and when the car warms up, it will pop out.

I don't know if it's the same problem because I rarely drink soda. The only drinks I can ever remember using the cup holder for is coffee and my car has had no previous owner.

I'll check my ESP button and hazard lights tonight to see if they stick. Very annoying.
Andrew

Truth has no place in a culture of advertising.
2003 GTI
1992 GTI

Rocky Mountain Club B5

sticky buttons!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2005, 02:20:14 PM »

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
sticky buttons!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2005, 02:29:32 PM »
Yeah, its definitely worse when its cold out. And not surprisingly its all the buttons down the side which is directly under the cupholder. grrrrrr.

When I push in any of the climate control buttons which take it out of auto mode and direct the air to top, middle or bottom they just stay down which locks me out of everything until the button comes up again. ug.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
sticky buttons!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2005, 02:34:10 PM »
That sucks...er, sticks. I did this on my coffee maker which I don't know if it would well for car applications:
I took a small amount of soap and started working it back and forth in the space a couldn't get too via the slide of my coffee maker...then I rinsed and it cleared everything out and works fine. I was going to clean my cupholder, but I may put in a third din so I'll be losing it anyway...or something...I don't know, this project looks like a headache to me.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.tw34k.com
sticky buttons!!!
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2005, 02:36:34 PM »
Oh geez, you've got it worse than me -different issue for sure.

Sorry man, that sucks. :(
Andrew

Truth has no place in a culture of advertising.
2003 GTI
1992 GTI

coveredbytheblood

• Heavily Modded
sticky buttons!!!
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2005, 02:37:03 PM »
How about a toothbrush and some hot water/cleaner.  Obviously sparingly.  Then wipe it dry liberally or vacuum or hair iron dry.  Just some thoughts.
Coveredbytheblood, JC's blood

Lila

• Lightly Modded
    • http://
removal first
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2005, 04:33:59 PM »
I'd suggest removing the offending unit (radio or temp control unit) and investigating whether the front panel is removable also.  These units are expensive and you could end up destroying the equipment.  When I bought my GLX used, that was an issue --- sticky buttons from a soda spill.  The dealership partially dissessembled the climate control unit and steam cleaned it somehow.  I think the cost was $100 or so, but I don't remember since I didn't pay for it (I made the seller pay).  Still, $100 for a professional clean, plus someone else on the hook if it ends up destroying the unit, seems like a smart route.  And this advice from someone (me) who tries to do all of my work without help.

-Mike

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
sticky buttons!!!
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2005, 05:05:40 AM »
Goo Gone my freind and a Qtip.
No time for love, Dr. Jones.

Losers make excuses. Winners make it happen.

"and function, FUNCITON is the key" 
Fugazi

gragravar

• Supercar
sticky buttons!!!
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2005, 06:07:32 PM »
I'd go with water on a q tip or small brush (think fine paint brush.)  Take your time and use the water sparingly.  then dry with a hair dryer, or one of those air-duster cans.  

Happened to me on both my A4 and the allroad.  both times were my fault, and both times cleaned up OK.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

Boris

• Stock
sticky buttons!!!
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2005, 06:16:45 PM »
Charles, go to Radio Shack and buy Electronics Contacts Cleaner spray. Then spray the crap out of the buttons and let stand for couple of minutes. Last use toothbrush to remove the residue. May have to do it few times before all is gone. I had same experience with Coke being thrown into my car and spilled all over the center console and my Kenwood stereo (with very small buttons.

Don't use water as it will eventually corrode the contacts. The ECC spray is non-caustic.
[size=28]REMEMBER!!!![/size]   Where you go, there you are
Living life of crime ain't no fun. It ought to be OUTLAWed!

gragravar

• Supercar
sticky buttons!!!
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2005, 06:24:27 PM »
Quote from: "Boris"
Charles, go to Radio Shack and buy Electronics Contacts Cleaner spray.

that does sound like a better idea than water.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

coveredbytheblood

• Heavily Modded
sticky buttons!!!
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2005, 01:02:42 PM »
Another vote for Boris' idea.
Coveredbytheblood, JC's blood

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
sticky buttons!!!
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2005, 07:46:04 PM »
Oh man I remember that guy throwing the coke into your car, Boris!  Whatever happened with that?
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

Cole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://rockcrawler.com
sticky buttons!!!
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2005, 02:05:17 AM »
My S4 came with the same problem. (same control unit you have)

I have tried the Radio Shack contact cleaner. It helped a little but not much. You are welcome to come over and use some. Stuff is like $10.

The problem I run into is that the buttons are so tight you really can't get anything in there but a razor blade.

The large buttons (fan control and temp) will pry off very easily so you can clean behind them.  I can show you if you like. I have been unable to get the other buttons off to clean behind them. Going around them with a razor blade helps a bit, I may try a rasor blade with "Goof off" on it next. I have made mine better, but not totally fixed.

Cole Ford
Financial Advisor

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
sticky buttons!!!
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2005, 03:04:12 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions - I may get in there with an exacto knife and goo gone or some such thing and see if I can un-stick any of them.

The worst buttons are all small unfortunately. The directional buttons on the far right of the climate control, and #6 on the stereo are especially bad.

Sounds like I'm not the only one who has benefitted from the not-so-well-thought-out placement of that damn cupholder. :evil: