Author Topic: CF hood - tell me why I should (or should not) get one...  (Read 5958 times)

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
CF hood - tell me why I should (or should not) get one...
« on: January 19, 2005, 02:45:48 PM »
As you know I'm going to be buying a new hood for my car soon, considering the price of the stock hood, paint, labor and everything - I could easily buy a CF hood instead. Is this a worthy upgrade? Is it good for anything other than looking cool and reducing about as much weight as I save when my 5 year old isn't riding with me?

I would really never consider it if my car wasn't black, but I think the CF would blend nicely with the rest of the car and not stand out so bad. I'm assuming it would be plug and play - do they need any coating or anything? Should I get clear bra anyway or is CF really "Super Space Age Rock Resistant Material (tm)"?

:lol:

Oh, another assumption is that this would be the same fitment as the stock hood - as in, no tacky racing pins sticking out to hold the hood down.

BTW: I may be upgrading lights afterall. More on that later - the shop said one was gone for sure, so right now I have about $250 to work with but not enough for a Xenon set. I may just get e-codes for $350 or so then upgrade to Xenon later. If they need to replace both headlights then that will certainly make the decision easier.
Quick! Everyone out of the universe!
New: 2006 A4 Avant
Old: 2001 A4 1.8TQM

shummer

• Modded
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2005, 02:50:19 PM »
Better have some serious 'go' under the hood if you get a CF hood. Not worth it IMO.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2005, 02:50:19 PM »

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2005, 02:52:57 PM »
Well, normally I would never do it - but in this case its a "free" upgrade so I'm thinking if there is any benefit at all then I might as well, I just don't know what those benefits are.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2005, 02:53:36 PM »
From the 719 forums:

Personally CF hoods are really just for looks.  Unless you are really modifying the car for racing and doing other things to lighten it up the CF hood is just some bling.

I think a CF hood looks sweet on a black car, but you really have to do hood pins because most can't handle the stock latching mechanisms and if they do they may break at the latch.

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2005, 02:54:56 PM »
I would get it clear coated adn put a clear bra on it.  I agree that you have a black car, so it will not stick out to the same degree as on other color cars.

They do require a bit of extra work.  You have to remove the stock washer jets and plumb the lines.  Also they need some fine tuning to get them on straight and aligned with the fender lines on the car.

I think for CO, they are not the best choice of material, but it is your car, so go for it.
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

coveredbytheblood

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2005, 02:56:09 PM »
Ouch!  Dont want to experience that!
Coveredbytheblood, JC's blood

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2005, 02:57:11 PM »
ouch - that's nasty.

I'll have to hunt around and see if anyone has had problems with latching the A4 hood - Pins are a definite no-no.

madigan

• Modded
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2005, 03:02:45 PM »
I like the look of carbon fiber hoods but what will you do in the long run? If you decide to trade your car in, you might run in to problems having a CF hood... just a thought.
mad wagon

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2005, 03:06:08 PM »
You save weight and have better heat dispertion. I've always thought that if you get one, it's for those reasons and not just bling.
I'll let you determine the reason. However, on a black car, it does look sick. My buddy has a black S2K with a CF hood...it's sweet. It'd take a little extra effort, but if you're not paying for it and have to get a hood anyway, by all means...DO IT!

We'll be calling you hotrice from now on :lol: Just kidding, no really, it'd be cool :P
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2005, 03:33:02 PM »
Hell, with a black car and a having to replace the stock hood anyway, I'd consider it.  Assuming, of course, it's as safe and fits as well as the stock hood.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2005, 04:14:45 PM »
Quote from: "Denver Pat"
Hell, with a black car and a having to replace the stock hood anyway, I'd consider it.  Assuming, of course, it's as safe and fits as well as the stock hood.

Yeah, those two things are required. If its a lot of trouble to make it fit and most importantly stay down at 75mph then its not worth it.

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2005, 04:15:21 PM »
Hood pins are almost a must.  You do not want that hood to fly up at you, as seen above.

I say go for it!
Autobahn Premier Service
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2005, 04:20:54 PM »
I have never been a big fan of them, unless you are going to race your car.  Yes, they do save some weight, but balancing, safety, durability, and the loss of the stealth factor would make me lean away from it.

like someone else said, if you are going for such a highly modded look, you better have the go behind it.  I always laugh when I see a stock or stage 1 1.8T with lots of visual/body mods which is slower than my stock allroad.  Guess I would rather go fast than look fast.  (maybe I should put that in my sig)
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2005, 04:25:26 PM »
Yeah I prefer the stealth look too, and I'm thinking it won't be very noticeable on the black car to people not "in the know".

Now, with the hood pins... that changes EVERYTHING! To me that just screams "look at my racecar!" Not what I'm after. Even if I had a stage III in there (I'm not even stage I at this point.) I wouldn't do that.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2005, 05:18:44 PM »
Yeah dude, hood pins suck.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Cole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://rockcrawler.com
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2005, 07:35:53 PM »
The only thing the picture above tells me is that the hood was not latched properly. There is nothing to tell us that it flew up becasue it was Carbon Fiber. Anytime a hood is replaced and not done properly there is a risk. I have seen plenty of factory steel hoods blown back over roofs too. (you should see the windshield crease in my buddies Jeep)

Here is what I would consider.

-Weight reduction = HP thought the ENTIRE RPM range. Of course we are talking 30lbs. But it is still an improvement. Engine mods only add HP to certain portions of the RPM Range. (ie 2500 -4500 etc) so if you want to go faster, shave weight! Less weight also means less stress on parts to go fast, better mileage etc. (again, put the hood in perspective, but it is a place to start) You can now add 30lbs of toys for your kid and be = to stock :D

I personally would paint the outside of the CF hood to match the car. Leave the underside, or a portion of the underside to show off the CF.

A CF hood may actually reduce resale value. (May increase it for the right buyer, but rare)

If it fits and functions as stock I would say do it!!! Lighter is better!

Cole Ford
Financial Advisor

DoctorC

• Stock
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2005, 08:09:59 PM »
My understanding is that a CF hood is not strong enough to use the stock hood piston (shock?) and also can not usre the stock hood latch.
Without those, I don't know of any ohter option besides hood pins.
If you don't want those...
OEM would be my choice.

Freeride

• Lightly Modded
    • myspace
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2005, 08:28:04 PM »
Zev has one on the S4...  Might want to see how his is fitted...  Pretty sure he doesn't have hood pins...

Another thing, is that CF has a tendency to yellow in the sun over time if not painted...

You just gotta keep on livin', man. L-I-V-I-N...

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2005, 08:31:24 PM »
What if you put UV coating on it?
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

Rusty

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2005, 08:51:11 PM »
From a post on CB5, I understand that the weight savings of a CF hood on a B5 is only 10 lbs. or so.

Yes, that's right, only 10 lbs.  If I'm wrong, and it's more like the 30 lbs that Cole said, then there is some debate.

If 10 lbs, NO!  You can save 10-15 lbs with a Braille battery.
If 30, hard decision.
If 50 (which is what it should be), then it's a no brainer.

From what I understand, a CF hood that was truly designed properly to save a race-worthy 50+ lbs would have astronomical cost.  The affordable versions that we can buy are mainly for looks.  The compromises made for low-cost and easy-swap nullify the ability to save weight.
i]AEB Engines have better-flowing heads and a real throttle cable...[/i]

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2005, 09:09:17 PM »
Quote from: "Freeride"
Zev has one on the S4...  Might want to see how his is fitted...  Pretty sure he doesn't have hood pins...

Another thing, is that CF has a tendency to yellow in the sun over time if not painted...

His S4 does have one.  Fitment took about 1 hour and two people.  There are hood pins on the car to prevent the hood from comming loose.

I too would recommend a clear coat finish to prevent UV damage.
Autobahn Premier Service
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

Freeride

• Lightly Modded
    • myspace
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2005, 09:10:17 PM »
Quote from: "Denver Pat"
What if you put UV coating on it?

I'm guessing that would work...  So then it would be dependant on the durability of the UV coat...

Also I just remembered that (non-UV protected, thanks pat!) CF will deteriorate from sun exposure...  Learned this from the Avia Sport folks who make wrapped carbon spars and other random CF stuff (I used to be the buyer at Into the Wind)...  This might partially explain why hood hardware can go kaput...

Quote from: "kraut-sled"
His S4 does have one.  Fitment took about 1 hour and two people.  There are hood pins on the car to prevent the hood from comming loose.

I too would recommend a clear coat finish to prevent UV damage.

Agreed!!! Hood pins and UV coat...

You just gotta keep on livin', man. L-I-V-I-N...

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2005, 09:19:40 PM »
Put a nice layer of SPF 6000 on it and you should be good.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

tweakeDub

• Lightly Modded
    • http://
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2005, 11:31:21 PM »
http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=BAR-ATP-001&Category_Code=BAR
This would be the only reason why i would consider it.  IMOP that's pretty cheap in price.

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2005, 01:08:32 AM »
wow - that's an awesome price. The stock hood is listed at $342 and that one is $325. It was beginning to sound like too much trouble, but with that price and a good fit I could be convinced to get it.

Says there it saves 35lbs over stock.

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2005, 02:27:26 PM »
Quote from: "gietl"

That's like getting a smack on the face!  8O  :lol:

Originally I thought that if it's not costing you any more to go with CF, than do it, especially if you have a matching color car.  But now to think about it, the CF hood would have to be very good quality or else it will look like crap and you end up with problems (weak mounts, rattling, wavyness in the finish, etc.).
I don't like the look of hood pins unless it's a real race car, and weight savings is non-existant (unless you combine it with other extreme weight saving stripping of your car).
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2005, 09:47:03 PM »
Charles, I am on the fence on this.  

1. CF is cool.  There is no denying this, however:

2. If the cost and fitment, etc., are just too much to deal with, and it becomes more of a problem later, then it may not be worth it still.

My advice to you would be to ask people that do have CF hoods to see why they got them, how they like them and what issues they have had.

Personally I think they are cool, but I also don't like hood pins.  Several people on CB5 have CF hoods without pins and have really high quality ones, so it is doable...
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2005, 10:50:33 PM »
Sounds like it is just too much hassle to be worth it. It also sounds like the weight benefits are negligible, there is always a chance it won't fit right, latch right, stay in good condition forever... I think I'll bag it. It would have just been bling anyway. ;)

It will be nice to have a freshly painted hood and bumper I can put some clear bra on and be waaay better than when I got the car.

And I'm getting ecodes so that's a plus. :D

Rusty

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2005, 02:47:54 PM »
I think you made a good decision.
i]AEB Engines have better-flowing heads and a real throttle cable...[/i]

Cole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://rockcrawler.com
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2005, 03:16:45 PM »
Buy me one of these and you can have my factory black S4 hood :wink:

http://www.goapr.com/Audi/products/carbon_hood.html

Here is the same hood for half the price.

http://www.mmrusa.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=98185-E4GASN346P4&Product_Code=cfhS4

Cole Ford
Financial Advisor