Author Topic: Need mechanic recommendation in Boulder area  (Read 1654 times)

spadesmaster

• n00balicious
Need mechanic recommendation in Boulder area
« on: June 23, 2003, 06:45:15 PM »
We have a 2000 Passat (Turbo 4) wagon with 40k miles that we have been quite happy with until recently. We have now been having serious problems with cold starts (even in summer!), mileage, and rough idling. The check engine light says its emissions. We already tried replacing the MAF and oxygen sensor and $500 later, nothing is better.

We have not had many positive experiences with Gephardt VW and need to find a VW/Audi mechanic that knows WTF they are doing. I dont mind paying more for a good mechanic. The best mechanics may charge more, but dont do unnecessary work and end up saving you in the long run...

Can any of you VW fans out there help me out?

WendyDarling

• n00balicious
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2003, 06:58:20 PM »
I know Winston (ColoradoB5) has a trusted mechanic but he is not in Boulder, unfortunately...he's in Englewood?  Hopefully some of our northern members will chime in soon.  

Welcome to the club, by the way!  We're having a GTG at Dave & Buster's (US36) on Wednesday night if you'd like to stop by and meet some members in person :)  

If you would not mind driving to Arvada, I would recommend Joel at RSMotorsports.  PM me if you'd like more info.

~Wendy

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2003, 06:58:20 PM »

Chas

• Modded
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2003, 07:26:21 PM »
Spade, It sound like a bad engine temp send unit. They have a history of going bad and they produce the problems you have listed. I would think that a simple VAG-COM of your car would give us all the info needed to fix it. If indeed it is the engine temp sender, then there is no need to pay a shop or the dealership their excesive fees. The sender unit is located at the back of the engine and costs about $32, plus .75 cents for a new O-ring and the time to do it. I had that done to my car a couple years ago and it ended up costing me $295 from Tynan's VW. That is the main reason I bought myself a used laptop and the VAG-COM. Now I can figure out my own issues. Not that my car has any issues, errr... that I know of... :?  I better go VAG-COM it right now!!!
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
Some Sedans haul families,
this one hauls ASS!

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2003, 08:10:19 PM »
Per my PM to you on the BEST site, I got an email from Rascal:

Indian Peaks off of East Arapahoe in Boulder

That is the name of the shop he uses now.

EDIT:  Now that Chas, he is one smart cookie.

UberGrrl

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.amandaspear.com/ubergrrl/index.html
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2003, 06:18:54 PM »
I have heard great things about SlipStream here in Boulder, I know people who have used them for over a decade. They are on Walnut, around 4700 or 3800 or something.
The people I know who have used them had Audis, I'm not sure about VW, but I bet they service them. It's worth a call anyway.
MWJD?