Author Topic: Dual Intercoolers  (Read 3009 times)

KevB

• Lightly Modded
Dual Intercoolers
« on: January 27, 2005, 10:07:56 PM »
Hello all,

Just wanting to see if anyone is running, or has heard about dual side-mount intercooler kits?
I'm know they won't work as well as a FMIC, but I'm trying to keep the car looking as low key as possible.

Thanks,
Kevin
evB
2003 Gti 1.8T

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Dual Intercoolers
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2005, 10:15:19 PM »
blueGOLFturbo (Greg) is running this setup. He can answer all your questions. I expect, unsure about fitment on a Passat.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Rocky Mountain Club B5

Dual Intercoolers
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2005, 10:15:19 PM »

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
Re: Dual Intercoolers
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2005, 11:43:00 PM »
Quote from: "KevB"
Hello all,

Just wanting to see if anyone is running, or has heard about dual side-mount intercooler kits?
I'm know they won't work as well as a FMIC, but I'm trying to keep the car looking as low key as possible.

Thanks,
Kevin

Your the second person to bring this up today. :)
I dont have the data to support it right now but I belive that a twin intercooler setup has the potental to cool just as effectively as a front mount.
Ill post my results once I get them in order.

Ill post pics and more info when I get home tomarow morning.

Greg
No time for love, Dr. Jones.

Losers make excuses. Winners make it happen.

"and function, FUNCITON is the key" 
Fugazi

KevB

• Lightly Modded
Dual Intercoolers
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2005, 03:21:31 AM »
I saw the pics that are already posted on this site, and looking at product photos the install is pretty straight forward.
Are there and modifications that need to be made for fitment?

Thanks,

Kevin
evB
2003 Gti 1.8T

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
Dual Intercoolers
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2005, 05:57:34 AM »
I dont want to use the term "7 hour install nightmare" but thats pretty much what it was. I had to do tons of modification not listed in the directions, Now that ive done it I could probly do it in like 3 hours, that first time is killer. Its still not totally adjusted to my taste eather.

I can post step by step instructions(the best that I can rember) if you want. but being as that your engine is not transverse it will be totally diffrent. I have very little understanding of the non transverse 1.8t.

Fugazi

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
Dual Intercoolers
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2005, 06:47:12 AM »
Here is some good reading on intercooler upgrades.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1801049

Fugazi

shummer

• Modded
Dual Intercoolers
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2005, 03:24:11 PM »
KevB drives a GTI.

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
Dual Intercoolers
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2005, 06:20:02 PM »
Quote from: "shummer"
KevB drives a GTI.

Oh then order your self a eurospec kit.

Fugazi

KevB

• Lightly Modded
Dual Intercoolers
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2005, 11:00:13 PM »
What kinds of modifications did you have to make in order for it to fit?

Kevin
evB
2003 Gti 1.8T

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
Dual Intercoolers
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2005, 11:40:26 PM »
I wrote down every thing that I did but the list is at home, I can post it when I get home.

I had to redo the injector loom, trim the battery box, the back of the driver headlight cover, that whole corner of the engine bay is still off a little bit (tweeked) You can feel it when you put that battery cover on.

Ill get the rest for you when I get home.

Greg

Fugazi

client_racing

• n00balicious
Dual Intercoolers
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2005, 03:10:11 PM »
thanks for you pm blueGOLFturbo...  I'm putting an RS4 bumper on my A4 and thinking of mounting two RS4 intercoolers there, forward of the stock housing.  Only thing being: What hoses should I use?  Are there any that I can shape on my own, or ones that'll be close to what I need to connect it all together?
lient | FERRARA | services

-

client | FERRARA | racing

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
Dual Intercoolers
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2005, 06:39:00 PM »
Quote from: "client_racing"
thanks for you pm blueGOLFturbo...  I'm putting an RS4 bumper on my A4 and thinking of mounting two RS4 intercoolers there, forward of the stock housing.  Only thing being: What hoses should I use?  Are there any that I can shape on my own, or ones that'll be close to what I need to connect it all together?

Maby someone else will chime in with the answer, honistly I dont know. I would guess that you would need to fab your own. How much are a set of RS4 intercoolers?

Fugazi

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
Dual Intercoolers
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2005, 03:29:31 PM »
You're better off with a FMIC than twin RS4 intercoolers.  It's less hassle and cost, and will work at least as well.  Simple = better.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

Chas

• Modded
Dual Intercoolers
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2005, 05:49:51 AM »
Pat is absolutly right on this one. Besides, it won't work on your A4. Too much stuff on that side of the car. The FMIC is the only way to go with the Passat or Audi A4.

Pat has the Evo FMIC and his looks slick as snot and is very low key.

Unlike mine:

2003 Audi A6 2.7T
Some Sedans haul families,
this one hauls ASS!

client_racing

• n00balicious
Dual Intercoolers
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2005, 01:47:35 AM »
I see, thanks for the feedback.  RS4 intercoolers I've found for 649.99, I can build a FMIC for much less [e-bay for core, hoses, etc.].  So hmmm...  I like the idea of twin intercoolers *in an RS4 aftermarket bumper* for a few reasons: a] Air exit points for better flow b] Will not add any heat to current radiator from exiting air [I know, I know, it does not affect it much] c] Core replacement can be cheaper if there is damage done to one or the other [hopefully not both].  So anyway, cost wise, it is not practical to do twin SMIC.   Maybe I'm naive, but I still think it's an idea that can work well.  Who knows, I'm up to being convinced of otherwise which is why I post on these forums, thanks so far guys.
lient | FERRARA | services

-

client | FERRARA | racing

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
Dual Intercoolers
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2005, 01:51:10 AM »
I would suggest posting on some other boards and asking if anyone else has tried this.  Additionally, I would contact a handful of reputable tuners and pick their brains.  They know more about this than we do, and you could benefit from their experience.  Also, asking on the boards will likely reveal most of the problems you're likely to encounter trying to DIY.  Either way, good luck.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
Dual Intercoolers
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2005, 04:30:17 AM »
The only reason I decided to go with dual sidemounts is the kit was right their and it was way cheep.
If I was going to spend 650 on it right now I would get a front mount and shoot it and the pipeing black.

Fugazi