Author Topic: goals for my allroad mods  (Read 2302 times)

gragravar

• Supercar
goals for my allroad mods
« on: February 09, 2005, 02:58:01 PM »
some of you have heard me chat about Dan Farmer, an allroad owner out in the bay area.  

someday I want my allroad running like his stage 2+.

mmmmm....

check out this thread on the power he is putting out...

http://forums.audiworld.com/allroad/msgs/105912.phtml
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

tweakeDub

• Lightly Modded
    • http://
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2005, 08:19:15 PM »
very impressive
when do you think you can see those type of numbers?

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2005, 08:19:15 PM »

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2005, 09:22:48 PM »
Quote from: "tweakeDub"
very impressive
when do you think you can see those type of numbers?

once I come up with money to spend on mods like his.   :wink:

On the engine side, I figure $6K for chip, exhaust, and downpipes, and FMIC.

on the driveability standpoint, another $1K for a DTS and short shifter.

then $3K if I want a brake job like his, although I am likely to just stick to stock sizes and look for vented/drilled rotors like Jon had. probably only about $500.

so the only thing holding me back is a $7,500 price tag.  ouch.  and that assumes I do most of the install work myself.

this will be a slow process.  will likely do a chip this year, maybe an exhaust and DTS in the fall.  that should do a bulk of the heavy lifting for hp/torque numbers.  The DP's are a huge install so are the intercoolers.  those will take me longer to justify.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2005, 09:34:54 PM »
After seeing what some have gone through with blown turbos on this engine, I'm a little surprised you wouldn't just wait for them to go, then do K04s while you're in there.  What are your thoughts on this?
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2005, 10:06:10 PM »
Quote from: "Denver Pat"
After seeing what some have gone through with blown turbos on this engine, I'm a little surprised you wouldn't just wait for them to go, then do K04s while you're in there.  What are your thoughts on this?

since I don't have an after market warranty or AA warranty, if they blow they will be on my dime.  While everything is disassembled to get to those, I would likely go to KO4's then.  of course, that would be a good time to do downpipes too.    Maybe that is a good idea, at least for timing on the DP's.  

As far as waiting to chip until then, 2 thoughts - first - lots have been successful not having problems.  second, I wonder if a FMIC and boost guage wouldn't help longevity of the K03's.  maybe I should move those up in priority to immediately following a chip.

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2005, 10:39:37 PM »
How would a boost guage help longevity of any kind of turbo, assuming the car is running as it should?
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2005, 02:27:24 AM »
How would a boost guage help longevity of any kind of turbo, assuming the car is running as it should?

that is a big assumption.  with a guage you could at least determine if you were running a -- bad for the turbos -- overboost condition.  That is a concern of mine when running with a chip which gains power through running higher levels of boost.

I guess it only helps if you use the information it provides to you.

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2005, 03:22:31 AM »
You wouldn't trust the chip manufacturer to claim the accurate boost numbers?
-Chuck Patterson

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2005, 03:22:47 AM »
You wouldn't trust the chip manufacturer to claim the accurate boost numbers?  What would cause the car to "overboost?"  I've heard the term a lot before, but assuming the only power mod is a chip, what would cause this?
-Chuck Patterson

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2005, 10:36:50 AM »
Andrew, I would be happy to help with any installs to help save some cash.

Too bad we had different brake set ups, would have been nice to pull them off hte allroad and let you have them before it sold.

but when you go that route, let me know, I will be happy to lend a hand.

as for the turbo thing...just be prepared and have your $5K in the bank to replace them when needed...as long as you are prepared, it should not be an issue.

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2005, 07:15:00 PM »

basically no.  I barely trust my own software developers, it would be going out on a long limb to trust the chip manufaturers.  I have seen how bad their product management practices are around meeting development roadmap schedules, trusting them to get it right in a compressed timeframe is a stretch.

Anyway, my concern goes beyond trust for the manufacturers to dial in the right number for requested boost, and more to their philosophy on requesting the boost.  The stock program pushes the K03's to roughly 80% (IIRC) of their capacity.  most chip programs (I have heard dahlback is different) push to about 99% of capacity.  in my experience, running any system at it's peak performance level for extended periods of time can result in problems.

I guess what I am saying is I think a boost guage would be an indicator of how hard I was pushing the turbos, such that when I have been feeding max boost for long periods, like at the track or on a long uphill mountain climb, I will have had a visual indicator as a reminder to back my foot off the throttle.

As for the overboost conditions -- 99% of rated capacity is close to the limit when you figure that there are manufacturing tolerances of probably +/- 1 to 2 % that would mean boosting to a scale of 99 on a system that can only handle a 98.  I also imagine that altitude, long run times, oil quality, etc can also have an impact on the tolerance of the turbo.

sorry for the long rambling thoughts.  At this point I am having second thoughts about the allroad anyway.   :?   more to come there in a separate post in a few minutes.

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2005, 07:18:29 PM »
Quote from: "gragravar"

basically no.
I guess what I am saying is I think a boost guage would be an indicator of how hard I was pushing the turbos, such that when I have been feeding max boost for long periods, like at the track or on a long uphill mountain climb, I will have had a visual indicator as a reminder to back my foot off the throttle.

Gotcha.  Now I get it.  You'd alter your driving based on how hard the turbos are working, which is shown by the guage.  Got it.
I just run mine hard all the time.  Show no mercy!   8O
-Chuck Patterson

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2005, 07:21:39 PM »

Gotcha.  Now I get it.  You'd alter your driving based on how hard the turbos are working, which is shown by the guage.  Got it.
I just run mine hard all the time.  Show no mercy!   8O

you can do that with your darn K04's.