Author Topic: 2000 Passat Brake's questions  (Read 3893 times)

B5_Alex

• Lightly Modded
2000 Passat Brake's questions
« on: February 01, 2005, 04:52:57 PM »
Hello fellow VAG gearheds,

I've decided to seek advise (again) from the collective mind of RMCB5. Last weekend we took a drive to Aspen and I noticed that while slowing down my B5 from triple digit speeds I can feel some vibration in the brake pedal. I know that my brakes weren't new, but the pads look like they have quite a bit more life in them. After more close examination it looks like it's the disks that are the culprits. (With vibration that's usually the case) They look badly corroded on the outside edges and some of the rust is starting to flake off. I don't think the disks were resurfaced the last time the pads were changed.

So here come my questions:
1. I am taking a serious look at the A8 upgrade, but I've read somewhere that it will not fit under my 15" stock winter tire+wheel. Can someone confirm that please? (I just got some new $$$ Nokian RSI's that I absolutely love so I would prefer to keep those wheels).
2. What is the next best thing in your opinion in 288 mm rotors + pad combination?
3. Where would be the best place to buy it?

I have done some research and have searched a few boards before posting my questions. So far since it looks like the A8 kit won't fit, I've looked at Zimmerman cross-drilled and slotted rotors and Mintex Red Box pads.

Thanks for your help!

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2005, 06:39:07 PM »
Pat has the A8 upgrade, so he is best suited to answer that, hopefully he will chime in some time soon

As for rotors, if you simply upgrade to the zimmermans, get the cadmium plated ones, they resist corrosion and flaking, and rusting.  I am a personal fan of the PBR ceramic pads, but it all comes down to the overall style of driving you do...if you are more aggressive on a routine basis, you might want to get something more serious like Pagid-sp?.  I think the PBR's fair better then the Mintex, many people here have not been too happy with them.

I got my stuff from ECStuning.com, fair prices, quick delivery, regular stock and supply.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2005, 06:39:07 PM »

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2005, 06:40:36 PM »
Zimmermans are nice but after a year of having them on the fronts, I am having to replace my pads due to excessive wear.  I am using Fferodo pads.  I am not sure of it is due to the pad design or the Zimmermans cutting into them.
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

B5_Alex

• Lightly Modded
Thanks
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2005, 06:46:20 PM »
Thanks,

I have used, in the past - Pagid and Rofren and have liked them both, but the Pagid definitely had a dust problem. Rofren are made in Italy and I used them on a 16v GTI a while back, but it seems like they are hard to find these days. Looks like more research is needed.

Thanks,

Alex

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2005, 08:50:02 PM »
Alex, you're right.  A8 rotors will not fit under 15s.  They will fit under the stock 16s, though.  Aside from good pads, A8 brakes are hands down the best performance upgrade you can make for the money when it comes to A4 brakes.  If you get some good pads with A8 brakes you'll likely never see the limit of the brakes.  I track my car a few times a year and feel like the brakes are up to the task.  That's pretty good considering it puts out nice power (stage III+).  As 03Indigo said, many people have been happy with PBRs for the street.  I am on my third set of Pagid Blues and have been very pleased with them.  There is dust, but I'd rather be able to stop on a dime with dirty wheels than have clean wheels and not stop as well.  If you take one piece of advice from me, let it be this:  If you want brakes that stop well and are resistant to fade, do NOT get Mintex Red Box.  Mine caught on fire at the track.  Not good.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2005, 09:42:44 AM »
Quote from: "StarlightB5"
Zimmermans are nice but after a year of having them on the fronts, I am having to replace my pads due to excessive wear.  I am using Fferodo pads.  I am not sure of it is due to the pad design or the Zimmermans cutting into them.

Ferodo's wear fasty, as they do with the MINI Coopers that have them.  Great pad, fast wear.  My PBRs on my Zimmermans are showing regular expected wear.

I have PBR's all around on the allroad, and Ferodo's on the MINI fronts, and EBC Greens on the back.  Really happy with both set ups...but the EBC's were not my first choice...I wanted the PBR Ceramics for the MINI, but they were back ordered for 6 months...sheesh.

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2005, 07:16:03 PM »
Alex, I am very happy with my current brake setup, which is my third on the car.

Stay away from Mintex pads, as they really aren't very good even for the street.

What I got was:

Front:

ECS Slotted Rotor - 11.3" (288x25)-pair, zinc or cadmium plated

PBR Ceramic Pads w/sensors

Rear:

ECS Slotted/Cross-Drilled Rotor - 9.6" pair, Zinc or Cadmium plated

PBR Ceramic pads

I've been very happy with them.  Dust is less than stock and braking is more dependable and very good as well.  The whole setup was less than you'd pay for stock parts too, which is always a bonus.
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2005, 08:06:20 PM »
Another vote for PBR.  I have them in the rear, and soon in the front.  Very happy with them.
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

B5_Alex

• Lightly Modded
Thanks!
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2005, 09:16:16 PM »
Thanks for the input from everyone. Here's interesting thread from CB5 where drilled and slotted rotors seem to get critisized quite a bit. After reading all the posts and links and doing some research I think I am inclined to agree that the benefits of drilled and/or slotted are marginal at best .... I better spend more money on good (better) pads. Anyone care to comment?

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2005, 09:23:10 PM »
That's true, that they get criticized a good bit, but no one over there has put forward any first hand research between them and non modded rotors.

Personally mine brake fine and I have had no problems with them.  It will be a year I have had them on in April, so take that for what it's worth.

In general, the word out there (not just CB5) is that slotted are better than cross drilled.

However, as long as the performance and functionality are not compromised (I'm not really ever racing my car, although it does go to the track now and again), the looks are part of the reason I bought them too.  They look tres chic.

As they say...vote your conscience.

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2005, 09:29:51 PM »
^^^  A handsome man needs handsome brakes ^^^
Autobahn Premier Service
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2005, 09:33:05 PM »
Randy are you trying to butter me up?  You are NOT getting my Bud Light mang.

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2005, 09:47:39 PM »
HIJACK!

Did you see the Bud-Light commercial with the guys at the game getting pictures of their friend at home?

Your Appartment
Your Bud-Light
Your Girlfiend

LMFAO - that was the best one.

HIJACK - Over
Autobahn Premier Service
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2005, 09:55:02 PM »
Sorry Alex, we like to digress a little here:

Here's the ad:

http://dyn.ifilm.com/superbowlads/

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2005, 10:08:31 PM »
Alex, pads are everything in your situation.  You won't be able to tell a difference between plain, slotted and cross-drilled rotors.  You'll easily tell the difference between pads.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

B5_Alex

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2005, 10:38:35 PM »
I guess I am going to have to make up my mind soon .... On a different note is anyone from here going to the autocross event in Georgetown this Sunday. I am thinking about entering in it, and would be cool to meet some other fellow RMCB5'ers on the ice.

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2005, 10:41:38 PM »
No, but if you want to ski Saturday I'm in.
-Chuck Patterson

B5_Alex

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2005, 01:50:37 PM »
Quote from: "Denver Pat"
No, but if you want to ski Saturday I'm in.

I can come out to play for few hours on Saturday. :lol: Let me know where do you usually go and we can meet.

PS. Last night we got 3-4 new inches here on the mountain.

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2005, 11:13:40 PM »
I'm up for Breck, A-Basin, Vail or BC.  Take your pick and I'll see you there.
-Chuck Patterson

B5_Alex

• Lightly Modded
Vail or BC
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2005, 05:43:34 PM »
Quote from: "Denver Pat"
I'm up for Breck, A-Basin, Vail or BC.  Take your pick and I'll see you there.

Vail or BC works best for me. Vail is bigger, but I get free parking on top in BC. I can't do a full day on Saturday as I have to do a few things around the house, but I can definatelly come out and play for a few hours. Let me know what works best for you.

Alex