Author Topic: Need Assistance: Hose Repair and Oil buildup cleanup.  (Read 2179 times)

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Need Assistance: Hose Repair and Oil buildup cleanup.
« on: February 02, 2005, 12:58:10 PM »
Situation:

I believe I have an oil hose problem. My car runs fine, but I'm finding alot of excess oil build up underneath. This may have been cause by past oil changes that I failed to clean up, but I'm going to do a little futher checking next week as I need to change my oil anyway.

I don't seem to have any tell-tale signs on my garage floor, but the buildup seems rather fresh. On the next oil change, I'm going to clean it really good and check it in a few days.

I also have dried coolant buildup around one hose connection. The hose is rubber, but I believe the connection is a metal pipe or some sort. I believe this to be seepage from the connection.

Solutions:

What is the best way to clean up the excess oil on my undercarriage and engine components?

What is the best repair if I find an oil leak around a hose?
What is the best repair if I find an oil leak elsewhere?

What is the best repair for my coolant seepage?
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2005, 09:55:40 PM »
Well, I know I'm the club joke, but anybody?
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2005, 09:55:40 PM »

RobD

• Modded
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2005, 10:00:11 PM »
JR - my solution when I noticed a similar problem was to trade it in!

I started having a few issues before I traded my car in and in the process of demodding a few things I noticed some pretty hefty quantities of oil around the DV and that general area.  Instead of pulling off any more parts in the 4degree temps that day I just sent it in to the dealer and got my new one.

Good Luck!!!

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2005, 11:14:34 AM »
THanks Rob...that would be a good solution but I want to keep my car to at minimum 200K. So I'll just use some stuff I read about at T-Region and just do some cleaning and replacing.

I honestly believe that the oil is from previous changes. I have NO oil on the floor of the garage so I'm assuming it's just drippage from my changes. I was just wondering what would be the best product to clean it with, but like I said, I read about some degreaser over on T-Region. I'll try that when I head to the store this weekend.

Thanks.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2005, 02:51:42 PM »
well, cleaning it up will let you determine if the leak really was from a previous change - if it reappears, you'll know you have a problem.

As for how to clean it, engine degreasers can be some pretty tough chemicals, so watch your runoff, and don't leave it on sensitive components for very long.

a better option might be soap, water, and a lot of elbow grease - and an entire roll of shop towels.

I have heard both good and bad things about engine steam cleaning - so am hesitant to recommend it.  it cleans well, but has a tendancy to get water into places where water was not intended to go.  you can, however, take it to a detailer and have an engine bay detail done which will steam clean the engine compartment and will leave things looking shiny and new.

Now then for preventing leaks, think about new hose clamps if the leak is at the connection, and maybe new hoses if you find one of them leaking leaking.

as for your slight coolant leak, I haven't had a car yet that doesn't develop some crust around the hose leading to the plastic coolant tank.  not sure what to do about it other than to cleain it periodically.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

Boris

• Stock
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2005, 10:07:54 PM »
Is the coolant seepage around the hoses that go in & out of the heat exchanger to which the oil filter is attached? If yes, then just change the tension clamps for regular screw tightening clamps.
[size=28]REMEMBER!!!![/size]   Where you go, there you are
Living life of crime ain't no fun. It ought to be OUTLAWed!

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2005, 01:07:17 AM »
I would agree that many degreasers are harsh.  But I have found that taking the car over to a self car wash and using the engine cleaner feature to wash the engine.  It is a low pressure wash and I let it sit for a few minutes.  Then rince with the low pressure rinse.  Hopefully you have one close enough to either your home or work that the engine will not warm up too much.  

If you decide to  tear into the engine and look for the leak, let me know and I will give you a hand.
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2005, 10:23:30 AM »
Boris, I do believe your right, thanks...I have to had to the 'Zone today for new oil so I'll pick up some new clamps as well.

Dave, I'll be changing my oil here either this afternoon or sometime next week and the car definately needs to be washed. I do have a car wash just by the house with an undercarriage wash...that's where all the gunk is.

It may just be easier to clean it by hand as most of it's underneath. That's for the offer, I'll let you know.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2005, 02:07:33 PM »
Hey JR, first things first; let's determine the source of the seepage for both the coolant and the oil.  Once we know where that is coming from, it will be easier to say what to do and how much to worry about it.  

I've had my CF belly pan on for a few months now, and I am due to change my oil filter and check my Redline oil to see how it's holding up (thanks Rusty), so I'll pay close attention to this as well.
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.