Author Topic: Trip to London, what to do?  (Read 1930 times)

Cole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://rockcrawler.com
Trip to London, what to do?
« on: January 18, 2005, 02:10:55 AM »
Taking a week to go to London for the hell of it. Looking for suggestions on what to do while I am there?

Have you been there?  Ideas on what to do?

Cole Ford
Financial Advisor

madigan

• Modded
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2005, 02:38:40 AM »
That’s such a loaded question…, but there are plenty of things to see/do. I’ve been there a bunch of times and never get bored. If it's your first time there, the obvious are Buckingham Palace, Westminster Abby, Parliament (Big Ben), London Bridge, Tower of London (there is a huge ferris wheel, just across the Thames too), Hyde Park, Piccadilly Circus, Carnaby Street, etc. There are loads of pubs and nightclubs… Be sure to get some chips and gravy from a street vendor too! The nice thing is that you can take the tube practically everywhere. Pick up an A-Z Street guide and you’ll be set. Also, pick up a “Time Out” and you’ll find in there plenty to do. Good luck and have fun. I wish I could go!
mad wagon

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2005, 02:38:40 AM »

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2005, 02:44:06 AM »
I head over for work once every 3 or 4 months.  Every time I go I try to get free to do something interesting or fun.

What time of year are you planning to go?  Where are you staying?

If you get over during the spring time, a walking tour is a good way to see the city.  As an alternative, for as cheesy as it sounds, spending the afternoon on one of those double decker bus tours will give you a good tour of the city to get your bearings.

As for things to do, the tate modern museum, and the victoria and albert museum were really good.  I found the london eye to be an eye sore, so never went on it.  

If you are looking for places to eat, check out a copy of "Time Out" it gives a good overview of resturants and the week's goings on.  

You should spend some time strolling along the car dealers on Park Lane.  very nice high end dealers.

Finally, if your living in CO gives you a craving for mexican food there - check out "Down Mexico Way" freekishly expensive for mexican food, but it is good, and the only decent margarita I have found over there.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2005, 03:32:58 AM »
Awesome!  I love London and been there many times -- great mix of new and old, lots of culture and very diverse.  London is a very cosmopolitan city and very expensive one, especially with our weak dollar these days.

Don't know if you're going to do the touristy thing or take it easy, but here's my picks:

SIGHTS:
The Eye of London: the world's largest farris wheel, each glass enclosed pod holds about a dozen people where you could sit back or walk around.  It provides a great view of the city, especially at night.  Admission is pretty steep and you could wait as long as an hour to ride it -- buy your tickets in advance as they could sell out.

City Hall: near the foot of London Bridge, it is a unique piece of modern architecture.  In the egg-shaped glass building houses a great observation deck with great views of the city and the Thames River, the basement level has a cool floor which is actually an enormous arial photograph of the city and all it's bouroughs in extreme detail (many people feel free to get on their hands and knees to look at it). Best of all, it's free!

The Crown Jewels: I didn't think I would enjoy this attraction, but many of my relatives there recommended to see it.  I was totally mesmerized by the increible collection of Royal artifacts and jewels, one diamond which was a size of a baseball sparkeled like nothing I've seen before.  

THE ARTS:
Saatchi Gallery: this is my favorite museum of all time.  An impressive collection of edgy modern artwork all housed in a very grand and traditional palace.  You will be shocked and amazed with some of the exhibitions.

Tate Modern: an excellent museum of more well-known contemporary artists.  The building was once a turbine factory and recently converted to a 4 level museum.

Victoria & Albert Museum and The National Gallery: houses all the classics and master artists.  

SHOPPING:
London is definately a shopping society.  Their famous department stores (Harrod's, Selfridges, etc.) is multi-levelled and sells everything from a bag of chips, to homemade gourmet liquors, to a $3 million Picasso painting (simply displayed openly on an easel with a security guard politely standing from a distance).   Their deli and upscale food market is a fun and cheap place to get a quick meal.
Bond Street & Saville Row: this is the famous district known for fine mens wear and tailoring.
Oxford Circle: a chaotic and busy stretch of street that has stores of all kinds.

GETTING AROUND:
Don't even bother renting a car, it's very expensive, very hard to get around, and parking is insanely expensive if you could find it.
The subway is the fastest and great way of getting around.  A day pass is your best value.
The famous London black cabs is like being in a limo, great for getting around with your luggage (it could easily accomodate 4 people and their gear) and nice to get somewhere where you're not sure how to get to.
Double decker buses: also a great way of seeing the city.  The bus routes and schedule could be a little confusing to understand.

FOOD:
Don't even think English food is bland.  It's definately far more diverse and tasty than what we have here in Colorado.
They have some of the best Thai and Indian food I've had, and even the traditional English grub is mouth watering.  Be sure to visit some of the older Pubs for fish and chips (served with malt vinegar), shepherd's pie, or Yorkshire pudding (which is a meat dish served with a side of rich gravy in a fluffy piecrust cup) and wash it down with hundreds of awesome English brews (don't even think of ordering Miller or Coors here).
Remember, they call french fries, chips and chips, crisps.
Yo Sushi! This is an awesome chain of cool sushi bars which serves your food out on a conveyor belt.  You just take what you like and they count the number of plates you stack on the side.  There's also two water dispensers (one for still the other for sparkling) at each seat, and a red button to press if you want to summon a waitor -- dining efficiency at it's finest.  It's also reasonably priced.
Wagamama: This is a trendy chain of noodle houses.  They restaurant is arranged in communal and very modern benches and tables, and the waitors (which look like cool rock stars) are armed with PDA which take your order and transmits it to the open kitchen.  A fun and affordable dining experience.
Pret a Manger: A great take out place which sells ready made gourmet sandwiches, salads, beverages, and snacks in a supermarket/diner setting.  Great for a quick cheap bite.

OTHER PLACES OF INTEREST:
Canary Wharf: was once a derelict fishing/warehouse port, now totaly transformed to a vibrant hub for business, commerce, shopping and trendy urbanites.  This area was master planned and designed by Caesar Pelli, who also did Battery Park in Manhattan.
China Town: not very big, but has lots of great restaurants for traditional Chinese cuisine and dim sum.
Covent Garden: A cool open market with live entertainment, a fun & rowdy pub that has a roof top patio that looks onto the public court, and many unique boutiques and shops.
Portabello Row: A cool and charming street for vintage stuff, music, and antique shops.  There's also a few open air flea markets which sells all kinds of cool old stuff for a steal (not like the tacky crap we have here).
Regent Park: Similar to Central Park, but more picturesque and manicured.  It's a great place for a relaxing walk on a crisp morning.  The famous and stately Nash white row homes elegantly line the streets and surround the Park.  It's a very posh residential part of town.

Whew, I could go on and on -- let me know if you want to see and do anything in particular.
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2005, 10:25:51 AM »
Scotland Yard ride-a-long! :lol:
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

madigan

• Modded
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2005, 02:17:18 PM »
Definitly check out Harrod's... gives a whole new meaning to "department store"....
mad wagon

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2005, 08:46:31 PM »
Go to Punch & Judy's Pub at Picadelly Circus (sp).  I have spend more then a few night there swilling back pints.

There are great street performers in the square there too.
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

Cole

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2005, 08:49:17 PM »
Great information guys. Keep it coming. I may just have to print this whole page and take it with me.

Cole Ford
Financial Advisor

Cole

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2005, 07:12:58 PM »
In Piccadilly right now at an internet cafe! Thanks for the tips guys!!!

Cole Ford
Financial Advisor

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2005, 07:27:27 PM »
Sweet!  enjoy the trip!
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

Cole

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2005, 09:33:01 AM »
:D Now I am sitting in the "Audi Forum" store in London (my girlfriend is putting up with me :roll: )

Cole Ford
Financial Advisor