Author Topic: oil cooler  (Read 4715 times)

client_racing

• n00balicious
oil cooler
« on: February 06, 2005, 03:55:11 AM »
I've been examining options for an oil cooler and decided that noe with a thermostat will be a great balance for when I drive daily and drive my A4 at the track.  The only concern that I have is with a gentlmen whom had contaminated oil from adding an aftermarket oil cooler here: http://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/1781410.phtml

So hmmm... sounds like a rare case as far as I know.  Any comments, suggestions?
lient | FERRARA | services

-

client | FERRARA | racing

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
oil cooler
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2005, 03:19:09 PM »
Hey, that's a great link.  I looked at your car profile and see that it's not filled out.  What kind of mods have you done?  Why are you considering this?  This interest me a lot, as I regularly see 250 degree oil temps at the track.  However, I've learned to accept it and just limit my lapping sessions to maybe six or seven at a time.  I figure this way I conserve my tires.  Tires tend to wear more when hot.  After several laps I'm ready to go back to the paddock anyway, so I've just kind of accepted it.  I'm interested to hear what your motivation is to change oil coolers.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

Rocky Mountain Club B5

oil cooler
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2005, 03:19:09 PM »

client_racing

• n00balicious
oil cooler
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2005, 03:09:06 AM »
Mods are.... four tires, full coverage insurance, changed oil...  just kidding.  No mods yet and as always, a lot planned.  From experience with killing two of the four vehicles I've owned and seeing what causes almost every other vehicles engine on the road to "break" is from something that has to do with oil or something that has to do with water.  Extensive heat beyond operating temperature is bad in both these areas and my rationale for wanting to add an oil cooler with a thermostat is that I would like to increase the reliability of "irene".   For stuff planned to protect and keep my lil 1.8t lubed I shall:

- Add an oil cooler
- Baffled/Trap Door oil pan
- Oil Catch Can

Oil cooler for relability at the track and to keep oil temps down, baffled/trap door oil pan for those long hard high revving turns so my pickup always has oil [and so my bearing don't blow the frick up from starvation], and the oil catch can to prevent "sludge" from accumulating in the intake tract and decreasing octane rating.  Now this is all for relability and not extensive at that.  I do not drive hard on a daily basis... in fact I rarely exceed 3000 rpms much less the posted speed limit, BUT when I do hit it, I truly want to be able to pull out of whatever I'm doing in the same condition I go in.  Someone correct if I'm confused for any of the reasons stated above.   Anyway, BIG mods down the road [too many little ones to list] include FMIC, ATP GT28RS turbo, 2.75" Milltek Exhaust, Koni Coilovers, 4/6/8 piston brakes up front w/ bigger rotors and blah, blah, blah while I'll kill some evos and stis....

-

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
oil cooler
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2005, 03:16:08 AM »
Yeah, until you do the turbo don't worry about it.  Once you get to that point I'd start asking those that have gone down the same path you're considering what they've done and how happy they are with it.  You definitely don't want a significantly larger oil cooler right now.  Your oil won't get hot enough for the car to run like it should.  Just like oil can get to hot, it can stay too cool.  Don't mess with it.  If it makes you feel better, I'm not too far off what you have planned right now.  Just run a full synthetic and you'll be fine.  FWIW, I run 5-40 in the winter and 15-50 in the summer.  My 1.8T has 145K miles on it, but the dipstick tells me I burn zero oil.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

client_racing

• n00balicious
oil cooler
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2005, 04:01:11 AM »
thanks, I appreciate the advice.  You're completely correct, the oil cooler will have a good impact after I do the turbo.  Other thing noted, I have a 2 year warranty on it and don't want to get anything denied if I start having problems caused from normal operation and not the modifications.  Anyway PM me about which turbo kit that you're going with and which chip?  I'd be curious to know if you're deviating beyond the K04 upgrade.

-

Scuba2001

• Modded
oil cooler
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2005, 12:34:38 PM »
I picked up some items a few months ago when I was tracking the Passat.  Ive since stopped, but still have the stuff installed.

Ive had the oil cooler since I bought it used, and still havent put it in yet.  I did however install the oil catch can, and I now have ZERO oil in my intake track.  The FMIC is nothing but pure air going through.  The OE SMIC was caked with oil, but now that the can is on, I dont have any issues.  Take a look at my gallery, and you should see some of the pictures of the fmic, oil cooler, and catch can.

Have questions, post up, or let me know.
Scuba's Phot Album

BTW, still stock turbo, running 10w30-10w40 synthetic oils.

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
oil cooler
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2005, 12:57:19 PM »
Quote from: "client_racing"
Anyway PM me about which turbo kit that you're going with and which chip?  I'd be curious to know if you're deviating beyond the K04 upgrade.

All of my mods are listed in my car profile.  I don't plan on making any other performance mods.  The K04 is as big as I'll go.
-Chuck Patterson

Rusty

• Lightly Modded
oil cooler
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2005, 03:48:08 PM »
IMO with the turbo you don't have to worry about your oil being "too cold".  I transplanted a sandwich plate with a stuck-open thermostat from my Scirocco to the Passat.  Oil warms up more slowly than with the factory "oil heater", but it does warm all the way up, even on coldest winter days.

Hey Pat - remove oil cooler load from coolant = lower coolant temps = more timing advance = more power! :)
i]AEB Engines have better-flowing heads and a real throttle cable...[/i]

client_racing

• n00balicious
oil cooler
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2005, 03:35:32 AM »
Thanks for the input ya'll!  Good Stuff.

-

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
oil cooler
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2005, 01:01:43 PM »
Quote from: "Rusty"
Hey Pat - remove oil cooler load from coolant = lower coolant temps = more timing advance = more power! :)

I like the way you think, Rusty.  How much of a difference do you think this would make?  I don't know much about this, but I'm skeptical I'd be able to feel a difference when driving, or even see a difference on the dyno.  I suppose the power might last a little longer when the car gets hot...?
-Chuck Patterson

Boris

• Stock
oil cooler
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2005, 01:12:26 PM »
So Rusty are you proposing to completely bypass the OEM heat exchanger with the stand alone oil cooler?
[size=28]REMEMBER!!!![/size]   Where you go, there you are
Living life of crime ain't no fun. It ought to be OUTLAWed!

Scuba2001

• Modded
oil cooler
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2005, 12:57:28 AM »
Quote from: "Boris"
So Rusty are you proposing to completely bypass the OEM heat exchanger with the stand alone oil cooler?

When you do it correctly, yes you bypass the heat exchanger.

Chas

• Modded
oil cooler
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2005, 02:31:17 AM »
Rusty is correct in his "formula." The power won't be a "day and night" kind of thing, but the power will last longer when the car is hot. Like on a track environment.

Also, increasing the amount of oil in your sump is the first thing you should do. Our little 1.8T engines should have had a larger oil pan to begine with, but there are way of increasing your oil capacity without spending a whole bunch of cash.

the answer is a simple one. Yes an oil cooler with increase oil cap., but even simpler yet is going to a larger oil filter. There are a couple of good ones out there. I think Rusty runs the NAPA 1333 "Big Kahuna" filter. And I run with the Wix 51333 filter. Both increase the total volume of oil by almost a full quart! Between a larger oil filter, using only synthetic oils and maybe an oil cooler, I would think that all the oil issues with the 1.8T are pretty much solved. I do like the idea of a baffled oil pan. But if you're going to do that you might as well have someone make you a larger oil pan as well.

Good info in this on folks!
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
Some Sedans haul families,
this one hauls ASS!

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
oil cooler
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2005, 03:25:15 AM »
Chas, you know there are new OEM filters recommended by Audi TSBs, right? I think they're made by Mann.  I don't know if you prefer Wix over Mann, but it seemed like something you'd want to know in the unlikely chance you don't already.
-Chuck Patterson

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
oil cooler
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2005, 11:36:28 AM »
I had no idea that we should be using larger oil filters. Great info, thanks!
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Rusty

• Lightly Modded
oil cooler
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2005, 08:15:39 PM »
The Purolator L40316 a.k.a. "Mannolator" is what I use now.  Made by Mann, same as VW filter. $8 or so at Pep Boys.

Quote from: "Boris"

Yup.  Seen my writeup on CB5? SMOC - Side Mount Oil Cooler - Install

Pat - I was sort of kidding around to try and get you to log some data -  IIRC your H20 temps are about 10C higher than mine.  I'd really like to figure out exactly why I'm getting almost as much power as you even though I have only 15 lbs boost.  Coolant temps may be one little piece of the puzzle.  I don't think an oil cooler will show any measurable difference.  But a lower-temp thermostat might.  I have the Neuspeed 180F thermostat and fan switch.  They were my very first mod almost three years ago - I was getting prepared...

Rusty

• Lightly Modded
oil cooler
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2005, 08:16:57 PM »
Quote from: "jayryan"

Where have you been for the last two years? *poke**grin*

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
oil cooler
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2005, 08:24:06 PM »
Quote from: "Rusty"
Quote from: "jayryan"

Where have you been for the last two years? *poke**grin*

Umm...working so I can afford that bigger oil filter!!
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

client_racing

• n00balicious
oil cooler
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2005, 12:51:04 AM »
I've been in contact with Competition Engineering since they make a baffled/trap door oil pan for 1.8/2.0 Transverse engines but NOT  Longitudal.  They can fabricate me a custom one with larger oil capacity, just waiting for that quote.  I'm also thinking of adding headlight fluid to increase horsepower too.... *cough*

-

Scuba2001

• Modded
oil cooler
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2005, 04:08:50 AM »
Just keep in mind that if you go with a pan that is able to hold more fluid, to ask them to NOT make it deeper.  Our pans, STOCK can scrap and crack if you plan to be lowered.  So please keep that in mind.

client_racing

• n00balicious
oil cooler
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2005, 04:35:49 AM »
touch crowd... have you heard the one about the rabbi, priest, and attorney?

Anywho, thanks for that bit, I'll be sure to mention that the main sump be extened only horizontally and NOT veritcally.

-

Chas

• Modded
oil cooler
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2005, 04:15:48 PM »
Forget the Headlight fluid, that stuff is crap. I know, I tried it last year. Total crap! And of course I paid way too much for it on eBay!

Now muffler bearings are what the new school of thought is saying where it's at!!! And not those old style ones with steel balls either. Try the ones with ceramic rollers. WAY BETTER IMHO!!!! :)
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
this one hauls ASS!

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
oil cooler
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2005, 04:33:06 PM »
Dude, I just picked up a case of headlight fluid!!
It comes with an ECU turbine. I was hoping that would keeping my battery cool.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

client_racing

• n00balicious
oil cooler
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2005, 03:24:01 AM »
check out this vid... Gah... how could he not know of a VTEC or VERY TALL ENGINE COOLING.

http://www.hudsonimports.com/vteccobra.mpg

I swear if it weren't for guys like this, wings, NOS stickers, and Daewoos wouldn't be making so much horsepower.

-

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
oil cooler
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2005, 10:19:53 AM »
My carbon fiber battery cover cools my engine by about 50deg. And my blower runs my stereo system...that was funny.
...he looks kinda like Jay ;)
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

coveredbytheblood

• Heavily Modded
oil cooler
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2005, 12:24:35 PM »
Quote from: "client_racing"
check out this vid... Gah... how could he not know of a VTEC or VERY TALL ENGINE COOLING.

http://www.hudsonimports.com/vteccobra.mpg

I swear if it weren't for guys like this, wings, NOS stickers, and Daewoos wouldn't be making so much horsepower.

WHAT!?!?!   I really hope he is not serious.
Coveredbytheblood, JC's blood

Scuba2001

• Modded
oil cooler
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2005, 12:49:43 PM »
No its all a joke.  Saw the video before and it explains it at the very end.

Chas

• Modded
oil cooler
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2005, 11:02:33 PM »
That shit is funny!
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
this one hauls ASS!