Author Topic: Looking for assistance and input.  (Read 1422 times)

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
Looking for assistance and input.
« on: February 02, 2005, 12:18:59 PM »
I have decided to do my own timing belt.  No sense in paying the outragous amount the dearship wants.  I have a couple of questions though.  I went to ECS Tuning and came accross two kits.  One is a straight timing belt kit.  The other is a more complete kit.  Is the ultimate kit worth it since I am going to have the front torn apart?  Other than the timing belt, I do not think my water pump or thermostat is going out, but should I replace them before they fail?  How hard will it be to replace the other belts?

TIA
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2005, 12:27:49 PM »
It took me about 7 hours to do my TB. 2 hours of that was just putting the car in "service position" where the bumper cover and bar come off and the entire front frame with radiator and headlight assemblies pulls forward. The rest of that was pulling off belts and pullies including the fan clutch.

The other belts are fairly easy to replace on their own, but again, in order to get to the belts you have to put the car in "service position." After doing so a few times now it's not so bad. I just don't want to do it often. So, since you have it apart anyway, I'd go ahead and do them. I've also heard that you shouldn't reuse old belts but I dont' know the validity of that.

I don't know what the longevity is of the water pump, but in order to get to it if it goes out, you have to put the car in "service position" and take all the pullies off includeing the fan clutch. When I do it again, I'm getting the Ultimate and may replace some other OEM pieces like fan, alternator, starter, things like that just because I'm already in there and I'll be at 120K.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2005, 12:27:49 PM »

Boris

• Stock
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2005, 01:48:58 PM »
Do the complete kit. It's couple of dollars more and since you will have the front pulled you may as well do it. Just common sense.
[size=28]REMEMBER!!!![/size]   Where you go, there you are
Living life of crime ain't no fun. It ought to be OUTLAWed!

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2005, 02:24:05 PM »
Yes, do the complete kit.  The water pump takes 10 minutes to do with all of that off.  If you have to go back and do it later, you're looking at several hours.
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

velo

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.alankrobertson.com
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2005, 03:32:54 PM »
Another vote for getting the complete kit.  Spend the extra $90 to give yourself a little peace of mind.  And let us know when you plan to do the work.  There's at least 7 or 8 of us who have done it and can lend a hand.
lan
2000 1.8T 5spd

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2005, 03:51:10 PM »
Thanks everyone for the responses.  I will get the ultra kit.  Is there anything else that can/should be  replaced while I this is being done?

As for getting the work done, it will be hopefully within a month when I can have a semi warm day and a location.  

Thanks in advance for anyone who wants to tackle this with me.
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!