Author Topic: anyone have 4G 20GB iPod with iceLink?  (Read 2831 times)

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
anyone have 4G 20GB iPod with iceLink?
« on: February 03, 2005, 06:37:49 PM »
I don't. :(

But I'm considering it as my method of connecting the iPod to the iCar, and want to know if my iPod with its iSkin sleeve thingy will fit in the iCradle with no iProblems. I called Dension and they seemed to think it would, but I'd really like to try it first.

thanks,
iCharles
Quick! Everyone out of the universe!
New: 2006 A4 Avant
Old: 2001 A4 1.8TQM

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2005, 06:41:46 PM »

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2005, 06:41:46 PM »

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2005, 06:46:56 PM »
Quote from: "gietl"
http://www.rmcb5.com/ftopict-1464.html

yep, that was my install.  works well.  Mine is a 3G, but the 4G didn't change size, it should fit just fine.  the cradle came with a shim to fill the gap to account for the difference in thickness between the 30GB and the 40GB models.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2005, 06:51:53 PM »
ok cool. It shouldn't increase the width by much, maybe 2 or 3mm, and it sounds like the thickness won't be an issue - I'll find out more when the sleeve gets here today or tomorrow.

this is the iSkin BTW:

And this is what I plan on doing:

Cool thing about the iSkin is that it has little colored screen protectors that will let me change the appearance of the display. Unfortunately they don't have red yet that would match my dash lights perfectly - I'll see how the others look and hopefully they'll have a red one soon.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2005, 07:34:30 PM »
I don't have ice link, but i have the U2 one, and the black and red match the interior really well, but the display is still standard, but it works for me.

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2005, 07:37:09 PM »
I think the display is too bright for night driving -- especially in that spot where I plan to mount it, hopefully one of the screen covers will help it to blend in a little better.

These are the colors I have to choose from - none look like they'll be a perfect match, but maybe one will be close enough.

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2005, 08:21:13 PM »
if you need to check it with that cover on it, feel free to plug it in to my system - if it fits, it should work straight away.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2005, 09:23:01 PM »
yeah I'd like to see if it'll fit before I buy, so maybe next GTG I can do a fitment test. Thanks!

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2005, 09:36:51 PM »
Quote from: "03Indigo"
I don't have ice link, but i have the U2 one, and the black and red match the interior really well, but the display is still standard, but it works for me.

Ha!  I just picked the U2 iPod this last weekend.  Sort of an early birthday present for the GTI.  I also wanted to have a complimentary color scheme.  I am currently going the poor mans route for connecting to the car deck.  For now it is the black Belkin cup holder cradle and their cassette tape adaptor and the black car lighter adaptor kit for power.  I know the sound quality is not that of a hard wire rig, but I am not really into tearing into the dash quite yet.  

I love the iPod though.  I did not know that it had a contact and calendar feature.  It basically has replaced my Dell Axim.
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2005, 09:42:28 PM »
my tape adapter sounds awful.... reeeally looking forward to a hard-wired setup!

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2005, 03:05:06 AM »
I know it will not be the same, but it will hold for a bit.
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2005, 01:20:30 PM »
well, I got the iCondom yesterday - its pretty cool! Kinda squishy.... The little 'shades' fit in there nicely and just give a subtle hint of color, except for the blue one which is a little dark and really only works well with the backlight on. Would look perfect with a VW interior!! Unfortunately, as I said before, they didn't include a darker red one that would match my interior lights - o well.

Next step is to see how it fits the cradle, it does add some thickness to the iPod -- more than I expected, but hopefully it will not be a problem.

Cole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://rockcrawler.com
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2005, 02:03:55 PM »
If you wanted to go the ghetto route....may or may not work, but here is the idea.

Get some red "tail lamp repair tape", cut it to perfectly match your screen.  Run with the backlight option on "always on"   Just a thought.

Cole Ford
Financial Advisor

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2005, 02:08:23 PM »
that's a good idea - I have a clear screen protector that could be used... just cut the tape to fit and stick it on the back.

Boris

• Stock
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2005, 12:09:31 PM »
Does anybody have problem with the iceLink losing connection with the HU where the songs keep playing through the HU but the HU controls become unresponsive and the info on HU display shows the same song all the time although different songs are actually playing?

As for the iSkin cover and the Denison cradle. I don't think it will fit in the cradle, and if you cram it, I think you will have problem with the bottom connector not being inserted deep enough.

I am presently exploring another option. There is a guy on HoFo forums (cell forums) that is making stick on skins for cell phones. It is a thin foil with type of glue that does not leave any residual if/when you decide to strip the foil from the phone. I e-mailed him re iPod and he's saying that he is working on skins for 20 &40 gig iPods. He already offers skins for mini iPod. So we'll see how that goes. I will let you know.

Here's his web site
[size=28]REMEMBER!!!![/size]   Where you go, there you are
Living life of crime ain't no fun. It ought to be OUTLAWed!

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2005, 02:53:56 PM »
I haven't had a problem with the HU losing the connection to the icelink.  my previous version icelink doesn't actually show the song playing though.

as for the cover and the cradle together.  it may be a tight fit.  I haven't seen the skin to know how much bulk it adds, but the clearance is tight.  if you do an armrest install like mine, you might be able to avoid the cradle and just use the plug, just leaving the combination loose in the armrest.

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2005, 02:47:56 PM »
Well, word on the street is that it won't fit. I'm still interested in the iceLink, but I'll probably order it sans-cradle and rig up something myself.

Something like this might do the trick: