Author Topic: CD changer is the suck  (Read 2478 times)

carbonbased

• n00balicious
CD changer is the suck
« on: February 09, 2005, 10:05:44 PM »
Anybody know if the factory cd changers are worth repairing? :(  I heard they are pieces of junk. I haven't taken it into the dealership yet but I thought I'd ask around before I took that step.

It seems that over the past six months, it been slowly deteriorating and now it won't even recognize a single disc. It will CHK MAGAZINE for a few minutes then try each disc. All result in a CD ERROR. I'm not too concerned since I mainly use my new Dell DJ, but I'd still like the option of listening to discs every now and then.

If anybody has any ideas :idea: on how to get it working, please let me know.

I haven't really had any problems in the 5 years I've had it, so I should consider myself lucky.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
CD changer is the suck
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2005, 11:36:00 PM »
GOLF TDi's are teh suck ;)  Just teasin ya D.

Honestly, I say no, but you know my opinion.  You can probably pick up a used one for under $100 and it will be plug n play.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

CD changer is the suck
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2005, 11:36:00 PM »

shummer

• Modded
CD changer is the suck
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2005, 02:23:41 PM »
I bought my factory changer back in 2000 so I guess I can expect it to crap out here soon. It sometimes gets a cd error if it's really cold and I try to use the changer first thing. Removing and reseating the magazine usually clears it up.

carbonbased

• n00balicious
CD changer is the suck
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2005, 04:03:24 PM »
That's exactly what mine was doing. Glitching during cold weather. I would do the same thing, remove and reseat the changer and then it would work.

I suspect it was getting some frost in there from being in the hatch, then the moisture possibly starts shorting out the wiring. Just my theory, but that's the conclusion I've come to.
 :idea: Could need more insulation back there, try that to see if you can save it. If that keeps it from dying completely, we may have found the solution.  

When you start to see the discs start to error out for no reason, you know what to expect next.

gietl - Don't hate 'cause I get 50 MPG in my sleep  8O

Lila

• Lightly Modded
    • http://
Re: CD changer is the suck
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 02:50:03 PM »
I had a condensation problem with my changer that only ocurred in cold weather, so maybe that is your issue too.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Re: CD changer is the suck
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 03:27:24 PM »
LOL, back from the dead. ;)