Author Topic: My preminition last week has come true....  (Read 2110 times)

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
My preminition last week has come true....
« on: July 02, 2003, 05:54:07 PM »
My Passat is leaking coolant.....again.....in the same place as the previous 3 or 4 times.

I have an appointment for next tuesday, but this is frustrating.  I just had this fixed in May.  I've driven like 2K miles.  Although the same thing has happened the last 2 times for sure.

I just want it fixed, this has been going on for 2 years.  :x

Oh well, just figured I'd share my frustration.

WendyDarling

• n00balicious
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2003, 08:36:23 PM »
Jay wtf?!  Isn't there a 3 strikes kind of thing as far as the lemon law goes?

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2003, 08:36:23 PM »

Chas

• Modded
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2003, 08:51:44 PM »
Where is the leak coming from Jay?

As for the Lemon Law, it's got to be something much worse than a leak of coolant that the dealership can fix. Even if it keeps happening again and again and again and...

Though it does make you wonder why they can seem to get it right.  :?  :?
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
Some Sedans haul families,
this one hauls ASS!

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2003, 08:59:45 PM »
Well, it's hard to describe, but standing at the front of your car, looking at the engine, to the left of the plastic engine cover there is a line that runs down the side to the turbo.  About half way down there is a gitting to connect the lines and that is where is is leaking from.  

Each time I have been told it is a bad gasket.  The first 2 times I didn't question it, not I seriously question it.

I can tell it is at it's early stages because I still have good boost in the turbo, but once it gets bad I will loose pressure.  

Chas, you are more than welcome to take a looksie if you want to get together before next Monday.  

As for severity, this is not a severe problem, the leak only occurs from using the turbo and since it is a tight fitting not much can leak out unless the engine is running for a long time with the turbo being used regularly.

Chas

• Modded
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2003, 09:16:02 PM »
Jay, you should ask the service writer, or better yet the service manager, to have a closer look at this than just handing off to a mechanic to fix it yet again. I would start to question the turbo itself some. Maybe the surface area that the gasket has to seal against isn't flat and therefore eventually leaks. Something is not right. This isn't a common problem amounst the 1.8T engines. it is specific to your car. That means something isn't right. And just continually changing a gasket isn't the answer. They're not dealing with the root cause of all this.
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
Some Sedans haul families,
this one hauls ASS!

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2003, 09:26:34 PM »
Chas -

I had that convo with them last time, I actually think they replaced the gasket and the fitting last time.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2003, 08:06:09 AM »
Sorry to hear Jay...I have no idea what the problem could be...this is way beyond my knowledge for sure.  Good luck and keep us up to date.  Let me know if I can help in any way.

jon

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2003, 02:49:06 PM »
Jay, sorry to hear you are having some much trouble with this issue.  That is a real pain in the butt, but hopefully this time is the last time they will need to fix that.
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.