Author Topic: Opps, really pissed off some computer guys....  (Read 2245 times)

Cole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://rockcrawler.com
Opps, really pissed off some computer guys....
« on: February 17, 2005, 11:17:21 PM »
Okay, I may have phrased the question wrong, used some harsh words or something. I know I used some harsh words from time to time later in the post but the post was in the Newbie section.

I normally don't get that worked up...try to keep more in line that that. Think it was the jetlag early this morning. Might be entertaining though.

Was I really way out of line?

Here is the post at mp3car.com

Cole Ford
Financial Advisor

coveredbytheblood

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2005, 12:31:34 AM »
Umm.  It looks like dude ripped into you for no reason...  <shrug>
Coveredbytheblood, JC's blood

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2005, 12:31:34 AM »

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2005, 02:36:04 AM »
WOW!   8O  I have been building/working on PC's for 10 years and I have never come across anyone like the folks that posted there.  Evidently, the "CarPC" has taken the place of a "female companion" and it seems like their ego was bruised.  I understood your question and thought it was reasonable.
I think CarPC's are interesting, especially the VAG-COM angle, but not for me.  I would probably end up causing a traffic accident while playing Americas Army or watching a movie.
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

Cole

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2005, 11:48:13 AM »
I actually started searching for a factory Nav-plus unit. I then met a guy here in town with a carputer and thought it was pretty neat.

The think I like about it is you can actually get one set up for less $$ than the factory nav unit and have the ability to really customize and update things as you go.  

This would be totally a toy project. I really don't have a need for it. Just thought it may be fun to try out. I think that is the part that offended them. They obviously take this VERY seriously and don't want some newbie just flying by to do one and leave.

Cole Ford
Financial Advisor

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2005, 12:05:35 PM »
Cole, I've been working on my carputer for about 3mo. now...I still haven't gotten anywhere!!! hehehe.
I LOVE the idea, but as usual, the need to do extensive testing and retesting is key, I don't want to get it in the car only to have to pull it out and fix it...so I'm thinking MacMini and a Tablet 7" DVD ;)
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2005, 12:06:35 PM »
Cole, I've been working on my carputer for about 3mo. now...I still haven't gotten anywhere!!! hehehe.
I LOVE the idea, but as usual, the need to do extensive testing and retesting is key, I don't want to get it in the car only to have to pull it out and fix it...so I'm thinking MacMini and a Tablet 7" DVD ;)
FYIW: I've been lurking there for about four months or so and those guys can be pretty intense. Unfortunately, I can read it due to work firewalls.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Cole

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2005, 12:11:21 PM »
That is why the "carPC" from "Caseoutlet.com" looks like a good place to start.

Cole Ford
Financial Advisor

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2005, 12:22:15 PM »
I'm kind of annoyed that they're not making front end software for the Mac though...I'd feel a whole lot safer putting one of those in.
I think MediaEngine is the way to go though...the other one (can't remember the name offhand) hasn't had any support in the last several months.
I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet. I was thinking about permanently installing a screen in my headliner, but the process is feeling painful. I kinda want to keep my stock HU and run the PC Aux In through the Changer controls. I screen there would look sic though...
Down here, MicroCenter sells those little cube, barebones systems which may be a great way to go...easy to install and you can build to the specs you want. The Travla case that you pointed out is a great system. Alot of guys bought just the case and then built it up from scratch.
I may be resuming my home audio production studio build though as I have a contact that's guaranteed me some work once it's done. That will pre-empt any CarPC fun though...
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2005, 01:26:25 PM »
OMG... I thought the nerds over at MacNN were bad - these guys are insane!!

I don't know what the f#ck VAS-COM is....

HAHAHAHA!!!! yeah, I'm having trouble finding any info on VAS-COM. :roll:

Those guys seriously need to calm down.
Quick! Everyone out of the universe!
New: 2006 A4 Avant
Old: 2001 A4 1.8TQM

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2005, 01:37:48 PM »
I'm reading the thread some more... crap I'm having enough trouble finding just the right configuration for my iPod - can't even imagine embarking on a carPC (or carMac as my case would be). Good luck!
Quick! Everyone out of the universe!
New: 2006 A4 Avant
Old: 2001 A4 1.8TQM

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2005, 01:50:49 PM »
Ah, I have an idea of what I want to do, but like I said, I've some other priorites ahead of that. I'm right where Cole's at. Strictly a toy. Unfortunately, to some of those guys...it's LIFE!
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

shummer

• Modded
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2005, 02:59:08 PM »
Cole - you frickin' newb. Get lost!  :lol:

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2005, 03:30:25 PM »
Cole didn't you know that web forus are ONLY for people who already know what they are doing and want to share (brag) with other people already in the Know.....

How dare you post on a forum, asking questions, and expecting help from people who see you as below them on the food chain of knowledge.  I mean WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?!?!?!

I have no usefull information to give you on your question and if I did you are so far below me in IQ that if I were to share it with you, you would not understand and just ask me more questions.  I really do not have time for you, so "piss-off".

Why don't you go home and play with your VAS-COM.
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065