Author Topic: wait a second, isn't it supposed to assinine expensive???  (Read 1581 times)

client_racing

• n00balicious
wait a second, isn't it supposed to assinine expensive???
« on: February 11, 2005, 04:30:55 AM »
I've been searching for an alternative to finding the right "streetable" camber without going through a few sets of tires and hoping for the best and watching them have uneven wear.  Experience is the best measure, I've been told which is great, but it's seems unneccessary to waste tires like that.  Now some backstory:

Checking some tirerack articles and recalling some past articles read somewhere...  Tire pressure is changed by how heat much is produced.  Also a great testing tool is measuring contact patch and efficiency of alignment specs is to test the surface of the tire after driving on it.  In search of where  the tire is heated the most and therefore making the most contact.

This brings me to a little folly Burger King had made with their inventory order system...  My buddy is a manager at one of them and they accidentally ordered 100 instead of 10  surface temperature readouts to check everything from the warmth of the friers to cooktop surfaces and so forth.  They are not returnable and don't know what to do with them, etc.  Having a few to spare figured that it could be made use of some way.

So this brings me to camber angles for driving on the street.  Driving style can mean everything.  Do you balls it through that oh so wide left turn?  Do you geezer it through those twisty bends or do you use 15 of your nine lives and drive tires screaming into the foothills?  Anywho...  Would it be valid to drive around for a short amount of time, taking my more aggressive habits into account and then measuring with my little temperature meter what and where the high temps are?  Even do it for a week or so with the 'rushes' to work and slow cruising late at night.  I do have access to a laser alignment rack.  So?  Am I nuts, too geeky, or just plain special[education]?
lient | FERRARA | services

-

client | FERRARA | racing

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2005, 12:02:45 PM »
Quote from: "client_racing"
...or do you use 15 of your nine lives and drive tires screaming into the foothills?

Yeah, this is me. The greatest wear on the tires is where the most friction ie. heat is produced. Which is the contact patch of the tire so...Sounds like it would work to me, but you still have to adjust your camber to fix any problems. I know that my '99 doesn't have camber adjustment so unless I fork out some cash, I'll have to live with uneven wear :roll:

I had the guy at the place where I got mine aligned yell at me for improperly lowering my car and to take it back and tell the guy he screwed up. I didn't tell him I did it :wink:  :P  :lol:  :roll:
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2005, 12:02:45 PM »

client_racing

• n00balicious
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2005, 03:04:29 PM »
hehe... that's great.  I know I need to sell a kidney for some CPP control arms or something of that nature.  I would like to adjust caster too, but not the fainest of clue of how to do it on my little A4...
lient | FERRARA | services

-

client | FERRARA | racing

j

• n00balicious
    • http://
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2005, 04:53:02 PM »
Whats worse... when I dropped my '99 GLS (RIP), I had my alignment measured and the camber on the REAR was more than the camber on the FRONT... CPP control arms would only help correct the LESSER of my camber problems.  

Honestly, I figure it cuts my tires life by, what, maybe 1/3 (I am being generous here- keep in mind the REAR is the worst camber)... for a set of tires that is 600 to 700 bucks (I usually price-buy my tires :wink: ), that is costing me a couple hundred bucks every 2 to 3 years.  

It would take me about 3 sets of tires or 6 to 9 years to break even... in the meantime, I am enjoying a HUGE performance enhancement by having this much camber!
hats right, Salt Lake City is also in the Rocky Mountains!!!

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2005, 10:37:34 AM »
That's funny. When I took my '99 GLS in, they said the front was worse than the rear, but man, the rear looked way worse.

And yes, SLC is in the Rocky Mountains...I have family there ;)
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

j

• n00balicious
    • http://
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2005, 12:38:12 AM »
That wouldnt surprise me at all, Im sure it varies by car and I was only dropped about 1.2 inches on all corners (the farther you drop the worse the front gets).  

Also, it was not much- about 1.5 degrees on front and 1.8 degrees on rear as I recall... if anybody wants it real bad, I can probably find the document.
hats right, Salt Lake City is also in the Rocky Mountains!!!