Author Topic: Need an Accoutant  (Read 1163 times)

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Need an Accoutant
« on: February 27, 2005, 05:20:55 AM »
Turbo Tax says I get a $250 refund :? I've gone over the info about 6x's. I donated a car and bought a house this last year...hmmm....something doesn't add up. Pun intended.
Anybody got any recommedations (for an accountant that is)?
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Boris

• Stock
Need an Accoutant
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2005, 09:06:39 AM »
When did you buy the house? Was it late in the year? How much was the blue book value of the car? You know that you will not get dollar for dollar on the car. Right?

Did you make more money than the year before? Maybe you went over the next threshold. (That sucks I know, being taxed at 28% instead of 10%)
[size=28]REMEMBER!!!![/size]   Where you go, there you are
Living life of crime ain't no fun. It ought to be OUTLAWed!

Rocky Mountain Club B5

Need an Accoutant
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2005, 09:06:39 AM »

PassatVariantPunk

• n00balicious
Need an Accoutant
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2005, 09:33:46 AM »
I ran across a similar problem. I did TurboTax online and they said I owed PA 500 bucks or so! And I only made 550 in the state!

I jumped across the cyber street to H&R Block. They gave me the numbers I liked: owe PA nothing and MA owes me!

It seemed TT had difficulties in the fine details of my two state employment. This might be true for other things such as the deductions you are seeking. Work with another program to solve this. I can recommend H&R Block, either online or in their office. For one federal, two state return I paid 40 bucks 1040 (deductions don't work for me since I am claimed as a dependent).

HTH. Stephen.

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
Need an Accoutant
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2005, 12:35:48 PM »
We tried Turbo Tax last year and just to confirm that my numbers were right, we saw our family tax person (Just to see if we could switch over and do our own taxes).  The numbers were way off.  I tried to match line for line what our tax person did to TT and I think that TT reached its limitation (fine details) and started to get confused.  I knew what I was doing since I had the tax preparers papers in front of me.
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Need an Accoutant
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2005, 11:06:59 AM »
Yeah...I readjusted a few numbers and it didn't affect anything so that tipped me off right there. I'm going to take them in. We are over the next tax bracket, but I believe it's 8K and 25% over 58.1K.
What didn't make sense is that it said I pretty much paid NO taxes last year which isn't right and if it's true, then what about next year when I don't have points and house stuff as a deduction.
It worked last year fine for us, but Dave, I think you're right, we've kind of hit it's limit or a programmer got a value off somewhere.
Boris, I do know I'm not going to get dollar for dollar on the car and most of the other deductions and we bought the house at the beginning of last year....
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
Need an Accoutant
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2005, 11:50:15 AM »
I decided to go the H&R Block route yesterday, and was pleasantly surprised.  This time, things were explained to me in much more understandable verbiage and when information from a tax form was needed, they told you exactly what was needed.  The other nice thing is that they let you do a dry run before commiting to buying their services.

I compared this year’s number with last years and they were ballpark and instead of paying $150.00 plus for our tax guy to do it, it was only $50.00. Not bad.

I wish you luck in filling your return.
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Need an Accoutant
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2005, 07:55:11 PM »
Thanks Dave...looks like I'll try and get my stuff down there on Friday...problem...I can't find ANY of my 2003 info...I bought the house and had paper work flying everywhere...I'm afriad I lost it... DOH!
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner