Author Topic: another round of mods!  (Read 2772 times)

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
another round of mods!
« on: March 07, 2005, 03:28:01 AM »
...albeit minor ones.
this past week or so I had the mod itch (after the D&B VW/Audi GTG, and putting on my summer wheels).  So far I'm pretty happy with how it turned out:

Tinted taillights: Got it done by Jon Boy of CB5.  It was a light tint, but was a little darker than I expected and it also had a very slight golden bronze coloration (especially at the clear white bowtie portions), but that was expected for lighter tints.  It blended the white bowtie portion better with the rest of the red taillights and made the lit circles more pronounced.
I have replaced the backup lights to a more powerful 50 watt insulated halogen bulb, which claims to be brighter by 250% over stock, with the tint it looks about the same.  I have ordered multi-directional 24-diode LED bulbs for all of the other taillight bulbs, except for the turn signals which will be a silverstar-like amber bulb to reduce the slight yellow appearance through the lense during the day.
I really like how it make my car more monochromatic and sleeker looking.  I'm still awaiting Euro Cullen's production of the clear bumper lights for a year now, which will complete the look of my colorless exterior.

Phaeton pedals: finally finished installation of all of the pedals (I only had the brake pedal installed and the dead pedal partially installed since last summer).  I had to trim a 1/4" off one side of the gas pedal for the Phaeton slip-on pedal to fit -- I also used 3M double sided tape for added security.  I also trimmed my WeatherTech floor mats around the dead pedals so that it is more visible, and made the mat fit better in that space.

Custom white faced TT-style guages: I got these a while ago from Meister Guages (some guy from VWVortex), but balked at installing them because of a failed attempt which caused me to break part of the steering wheel plastic trim surround (don't use the Golf instructions on a B5.5 Passat, the Passat has more hidden screws) -- it's pretty loose, but I'll secure it with 3M double sided tape.  
Also I had to return the original guages because of poor quality, my replacement was a bit better but nowhere near OEM quality and some of the graphics were fuzzy or just wrong.  I did a lot of my own modifications to these guages to fit and look better, and I painted the round needle base white to match the face.  I'd guess I'm 75% satisfied with the results -- it looks better during the day and certainly a different look.  
I gave my stock guage face to Andrew (he also got the Meister guages, but is not happy with them either), which seems to be an almost perfect fit.

Adjusted my Neuspeed rear sway bar to the firmest setting.  A slight improvement in feel and in turns.  A very easy and fast adjustment.

What coming soon:
- Replace all of my interior lighting and most exterior lighting to LED.  I've so far done the dome lighting, glove box and city lights to LEDs.
- Kamei sport grille.  Instead of painting the grille frame, I found a place that will chrome plate plastic.  That will continue the subtle chrome theme of my car and have cues to the new B6 Passat.
- Colorado airbox mod.  Since the Kamei sport grille blocks the stock air intake opening, this is a must.
- Detachable windshield mount just below my rearview mirror for my radar detector.  I will use a steel place with industrial velcro for this to provide a secure and optimal place for my radar detector (which has been sitting in a drawer for the past half year).  I already have the hardwiring through the rearview mirror base.
- Tip shifter replacement.  I already have the Phaeton tip shifter, but I'm not sure if it could be modded to fit as the shaft is a different shape.  I also may consider taking my existing cracked wood tip shift and reshaping it to a smaller sportier shape and covering it with silver carbon fiber.
- Lower front valance grille replacement.  My black plastic lower grilles are beaten and pitted from years of snow and rocks.  OEM replacement are surprisingly affordable, so this is an easy and worthwhile mod.  Bought them last year from a Drew Parts sale.  
- Caliper paint.  I'll stick with the G2 paint, but I'll probably go with red eventhough I'm aiming for a monochromatic look of my car.  It just looks classic and is more visible than black or silver.

So far I have no plans for any major mods this year since I'm pretty much broke.
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
another round of mods!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2005, 05:01:08 AM »
sounds like a great set of mods.  Any pics coming soon to show them all off?  I would love to see how the tails turned out.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

another round of mods!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2005, 05:01:08 AM »

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
another round of mods!
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2005, 10:37:52 AM »
Sounds great Alan! I'm totally diggin' on the look of your car. You need to get some pics up!
It's okay to be broke with no money more mods. I'm married...it's basically the same thing ;) :lol:
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

coveredbytheblood

• Heavily Modded
another round of mods!
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2005, 12:08:48 PM »
I think alan should have the classy "panache" award for his pimpin ride.  That thing itruly is a rolling work of art.
Coveredbytheblood, JC's blood

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
another round of mods!
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2005, 02:57:34 AM »
Hey Alan, I have really been inspired by your interior lighting fetish!

I get compliments on my dome lights.  I need to finish up the rest soon for a great overall update to the interior at night.  In Colorado in the winter, this is the most frequently seen mod as night comes early.

;)

I can't wait to see the tails.  I did mine again and they turned out the best I have done so far.  They are slightly darker than stock and give it more of a darker shade of cherry.

Can't wait to compare.
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

Chas

• Modded
another round of mods!
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2005, 03:53:15 PM »
So Winston, you've gotten good at doing the spray paint booth thing huh? How much would you charge to do my tail lights? I'm not real thrilled with having to send my lamps all the way to the East coast to get Jon Boy to do them. Though his work is truely great, I'm just not sure if I want to be without my car that long.  :cry:  :roll:
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
Some Sedans haul families,
this one hauls ASS!

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
another round of mods!
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2005, 05:51:55 PM »
Hey Chas, I have got the tails down pretty well.  I still use the spray cans, since I am not happy with the way my clearcoat turns out for my HVLP gun.

$20 is all I would charge and you could have them that day.
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

huevon

• Lightly Modded
    • http://
another round of mods!
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2005, 06:43:53 PM »
where did you buy your led's from?  :)

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
another round of mods!
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2005, 06:50:55 PM »
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
another round of mods!
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2005, 01:46:04 PM »
I got mine from SuperbrightLEDs.com.
It's about a third of the price of 42 Draft Designs, but the quality of the bulbs is a bit inconsistant.  Fortunately they are good about exchanging them.

Chas, I participated in JonBoy's taillight swap program.  You get the taillights shipped to your house and you send your stock untinted tails back to him for him to tint for the next person.  Your existing stock taillights has to be in good condition and you need to pay for the tinting and shipping upfront.  No car downtime at all.
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
another round of mods!
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2005, 01:57:47 PM »
I sprayed my tails 'cause I'm cheap.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner