Author Topic: So I got this BIG Tube thing i need to hook up...  (Read 6939 times)

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.tw34k.com
So I got this BIG Tube thing i need to hook up...
« on: March 10, 2005, 06:50:36 PM »
This is kind of a big one... My GHL turbo-back exhaust will be arriving this Monday and I'd like a hand getting it installed. I suppose more importantly, I need a place to do this. With the weather being typically all over the board for Colorado Winter/Spring I don't think an outside will work, since I'd LIKE to do this in the evening one day next week if possible. I know that might be asking a bit, but you ALL know how it goes. Waiting for shipping is bad enough with mods... let alone HAVING the stuff sitting waiting to be installed and not being able to is worse!

So a garage someplace? I'm perfectly open to all sorts of bribing.

I'm at your mercy!
Andrew

Truth has no place in a culture of advertising.
2003 GTI
1992 GTI

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2005, 07:06:53 PM »
I would be up to clear out a spot in the garage to give it a shot.  Then you could even bring that steering wheel up with you.  :)

I don't have a lift, but do have ramps to make things a little better.

let me know.  only thing on the schedule for next week is waiting for baby to arrive.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2005, 07:06:53 PM »

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2005, 07:22:35 PM »
WOOOHOHOHOHO! I was secretly hoping you would say something Andrew!

Yet another Andrew(cbtb) has very kindly offered to help. How does Tuesday the 15th sound?

me = mr. anxious :D
Andrew

2003 GTI
1992 GTI

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2005, 07:31:41 PM »
should be fine as long as I am not at the hospital with the wife - only time will tell on that one.  I'll let you know if that happens.

now you get to plan a drive out to Brighton.  hehe.

Andrew has been out before, but if you need directions, pm me your e-mail again, and I will send them.

We can even make it a small GTG if anyone else wants to help.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2005, 07:36:13 PM »
I will HAPPILY bring a 12-pack of beer and spring for a big ass pizza and anything else the host might want/need. :D
Andrew

2003 GTI
1992 GTI

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2005, 07:45:06 PM »
Quote from: "34k"
I will HAPPILY bring a 12-pack of beer and spring for a big ass pizza and anything else the host might want/need. :D

I have SO much beer left over from the superbowl party, don't bring any.  You can BRING the pizza though.  Remember I now live in BFE, and believe it or not there is NOBODY that delivers pizza out there.

PS -  just confirmed with the wife that the mini GTG is OK. so sounds like we are on.

PPS - if you get there after 6pm, you'll have to call from the gate and be buzzed in.  try to get there before that if you can - I'll try to leave work a little early and be home by 4:30 or so.

coveredbytheblood

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2005, 08:13:39 PM »
Seriously though andy, I dont know what your so happy about...  pssshhh.  Like its a big deal.  Its just a fart cannon. 8)
Coveredbytheblood, JC's blood

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2005, 08:23:52 PM »
Quote from: "coveredbytheblood"
Its just a fart cannon. 8)

I'm in no small way still concerned about that actually... GHL is known to be loud. I keep hearing mixed information... I suppose we'll just have to wait 'n see!
Andrew

2003 GTI
1992 GTI

coveredbytheblood

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2005, 08:48:39 PM »
Or wait and hear.  :)  Im sure it will be very dandy!

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2005, 08:50:20 PM »
Quote from: "coveredbytheblood"
Its just a fart cannon. 8)

I'm in no small way still concerned about that actually... GHL is known to be loud. I keep hearing mixed information... I suppose we'll just have to wait 'n see!

It is not THAT loud.

BTW if Andrew is in the Krankenhaus with the new arrivial, hit me up.  I have room now that two sets of tires are out of the garage.
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2005, 09:42:55 PM »
Quote from: "kraut-sled"
BTW if Andrew is in the Krankenhaus with the new arrivial, hit me up.  I have room now that two sets of tires are out of the garage.

Awesome Randy, thanks a lot.

Does anyone have access to a cutter suitable to cut through my OEM exhaust? I can rent something from Home Depot if not, but I need to know.

I'd also like to cut the posts on my new New Beetle headrests down a bit so they can sit flush with my seats.

Also, Randy, I've got my 4BAR FPR coming in at the same time. I'd like to do the REVO 4BAR update next week too if possible. What would be the best way to arrange that with you guys?
Andrew

2003 GTI
1992 GTI

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2005, 09:56:15 PM »
Does anyone have access to a cutter suitable to cut through my OEM exhaust? I can rent something from Home Depot if not, but I need to know.

I have a friend with a sawzall we could borrrow, but that probably isn't what you are looking for.   And, I think cutting it with my little dremmel cutoff wheels would take a couple of hours.

Also, the morning before you head over, you might want to throw some penetrating oil on any bolts we need to turn under there to give them a chance to loosten up.

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2005, 10:05:35 PM »
Quote from: "gragravar"

I have a friend with a sawzall we could borrrow, but that probably isn't what you are looking for.   And, I think cutting it with my little dremmel cutoff wheels would take a couple of hours.
Let me tell you what happened with my dremmel and Andrew's exhaust... heh... A sawzall might be a little tricky to maneuver under there but those things are cool.

Also, the morning before you head over, you might want to throw some penetrating oil on any bolts we need to turn under there to give them a chance to loosten up.
Good call, thanks for the reminder!
Andrew

2003 GTI
1992 GTI

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2005, 10:21:43 PM »
Hmm...would it possible to use your old pipe for to insert in place of my resonator if I remove it?
I've got no idea, so I could be talking retarded here...
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Noob_Shum

• Modded
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2005, 03:18:56 AM »
I got garage space, but NO tools (literally, I got a torque wrench, a screw driver, and a crescent wrench- haha).  If you need a place, let me know.... but you will have to supply the tools  :P

Jonathan

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2005, 02:09:50 PM »
Quote from: "Noob_Shum"
I got garage space, but NO tools (literally, I got a torque wrench, a screw driver, and a crescent wrench- haha).  If you need a place, let me know.... but you will have to supply the tools  :P

Jonathan
Thanks Jonathan!

Looks like we'll definately have a place! Luckily tools aren't an issue since I should have everything we need to do it -which really isn't a whole lot anyways. If something happens with the Andrew's place(like a child is born or something) :), I'll be calling around begging for space, so MUCH THANKS!!
Andrew

2003 GTI
1992 GTI

scott

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.edition719.com
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2005, 03:47:02 PM »
I have used a sawzall on an exhasut before... not that tough to manuever. I would personally suggest an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel. You can get said setup at Harbor Freight for under 35 bucks.

You MUST use goggles when doing this... safety first boys and girls...

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2005, 04:11:51 PM »
Thanks Scott. Good safety tip.

I remember sanding the floor pan of my Porsche with wire tip brushes and having a chunk of rusty metal POP off the lens of my safety goggles on more than one occasion and thanking the heavens I was wearing them.

The last piercing i want is a pierced eye!
Andrew

2003 GTI
1992 GTI

JDawg

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.VerTechGroup.com
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2005, 11:00:02 PM »
Yeah, the sawzall will work fairly well, just be careful with its reciprocating motion, because you can punch a hole in things that should not have holes in them.  I have several blades that are designed for different types of metal, I would suggest one with more teeth, which will take longer but provide better results.  If you need anything, including space let me know.
esident RMCB5 MFD Expert!
Ask and ye shall receive!
(OEM Navigation system)

1995 BMW M3 - Sold
2003 Passat W8 6 Spd - Sold
2005 Audi S4 6 Spd Alcanterra - Sold
2007 BMW M-Coupe - I'm in love!

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2005, 08:35:12 PM »
Bump for attendance and start time.

Are we still on tomorrow?  No kid yet here so I am still good.

what time do you want to start?  I can do after 4:30.

Who all is attending?  - so far, definates are Andrew^3.  (gragravar, 34K, CBTB)  Anyone else need directions?

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2005, 08:58:08 PM »
We are still on!

I'm going to do everything possible to get off work at 4:30 and roll up there hopefully by 5-5:15 depending on traffic.

I believe it will be:
Andrew
Andrew
Andrew
Randy

I figure the car is going to need to cool down just a bit so I'm going for as early as possible. I'm going to pick up the angle grinder at Home Depot tonight so I can grind down the posts on my NB headrests and have it ready for tomorrow. I've got some penetrating oil stuff from HDepot to treat the bolts on the turbo, I'll hit that tonight. I'll be swinging by Best Buy tonight as well to swap out my steering wheel for ya Andrew.

I'm thinking if i bring up pizza-ish stuff by the time I get there it will be cold, which may not be to everybody's liking. I was thinking I'd pick up a couple Take-n-Bake type things to feed people? Any other ideas for food? I don't want bring anything that's going to create more work for anyone and i figured that would be the most brainless.

One Veggie-ish
One Everything-ish
Andrew

2003 GTI
1992 GTI

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2005, 09:03:26 PM »

I believe it will be:
Andrew
Andrew
Andrew
Randy

I love being the odd man out!

As for food - I eat anything.  Hot, cold, 3 days old - no matter!
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2005, 09:17:20 PM »
works for me.  

take and bake pizza is fine.  cold pizza is fine too.

Just sent Randy directions too.

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2005, 12:24:18 AM »
works for me.  

take and bake pizza is fine.  cold pizza is fine too.

Just sent Randy directions too.

since i am right down the road i might stop by and say hi.. can you IM me directions?

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2005, 03:17:20 AM »
Quote from: "Eric18T"

since i am right down the road i might stop by and say hi.. can you IM me directions?

must be a long road, your profile says you are in Denver, and I am up north east in Brighton.  oh well.  YGM with directions.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2005, 12:29:44 PM »
I want to show up for just pizza...but I can't. I have other stuff to do tonight, like sleep :P
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

coveredbytheblood

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2005, 02:31:01 PM »
See you dudes there.  Take and bake sounds yummy!!!

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2005, 02:54:39 PM »
I'm going to do everything possible to get off work at 4:30 and roll up there hopefully by 5-5:15 depending on traffic.

I'll see you all when you get here.  Any time should be fine.  I opted to work from home today, in order to save myself the commute time.  therefore, I guess I will be here when you get here.

That, and it is cold enough, your car should cool off quickly.   8O

maybe I'll go hang some more insulation in the garage over lunch.
  :idea:

coveredbytheblood

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2005, 01:23:39 PM »
And on the Seventh day they rested.  And they saw all that they did was good.  It was very good.

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2005, 01:42:01 PM »
and I need rest after that install project.  

Great to see you guys yesterday.  Andrew - your car sounds great now.