Author Topic: Lower Control arms for a 2000 b5 Passat?  (Read 1136 times)

Rian_Colorado

• Stock
Lower Control arms for a 2000 b5 Passat?
« on: March 19, 2005, 10:05:15 PM »
Hey all,

Just got done doing the Tie Rod Ends on the wife's passat, while I was in there, I inspected the other suspension components, and one of the lower control arms is shot. If I remember correctly, isn't there a recall on these? (or a TSB?) I'd like to get this fixed ASAP, and at the dealer for free is my kind of fix! (not to mention, get an alignment that I would otherwise have to pay for done!)

If the above is not an option, does anyone know of other options that are more robust then the stock part? I installed the Meyle TRE's today, and they are certainly going to last longer then the crappy stock one's did...

all input appreciated!
Rian
55 MPH, slow enough to make you THINK you're safe, fast enough to kill you"

Scuba2001

• Modded
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2005, 11:26:00 PM »
You can try and get VW to replace it, but the chances are very slim.  I had mine "inspected" and the tech's said that they were fine.  They had ALOT of play in them, and they still said it was fine.

If you are stuck with footing the bill for a replacement, then your best bet, IMO, is to check out some Ebay sellers.  They have the fulle Meyel upper, and lower control arm kits, with outer tie rods, for $495 shipped.  ECS wants 570 iirc?  Other places want more.  www.purems.com also has the control arms for $500 plus shipping iirc.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2005, 11:26:00 PM »

Geronimo

• n00balicious
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2005, 02:05:54 AM »
Quote from: "Scuba2001"
You can try and get VW to replace it, but the chances are very slim.  I had mine "inspected" and the tech's said that they were fine.  They had ALOT of play in them, and they still said it was fine.

One never can tell.  VW replaced one of my lower control arms on the recall inspection.  It's worth a shot.  Don't expect an alignment.