Author Topic: Exhaust Leaks -Gotta GO!  (Read 1877 times)

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.tw34k.com
Exhaust Leaks -Gotta GO!
« on: March 18, 2005, 06:50:42 PM »
I need a place within a few miles of downtown to take my car and get these small leaks sorted. Basically I just need somone with a lift who can get under there and crank the hell out of the clamps on the bolts. I tried last night on ramps at Alan's place, but i couldn't get them any tighter from the angle I was at.

Any suggestions for a place? I suppose I could just roll into a Midas or something and have them check it if need be.

Be nice if I could get it done at lunch today too :D
Andrew

Truth has no place in a culture of advertising.
2003 GTI
1992 GTI

gragravar

• Supercar
Exhaust Leaks -Gotta GO!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2005, 07:34:59 PM »
for access to a lift and an air wrench at a fair price, I'd try an older gas station.

Not sure what is near you though.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

Rocky Mountain Club B5

Exhaust Leaks -Gotta GO!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2005, 07:34:59 PM »

• Heavily Modded
Exhaust Leaks -Gotta GO!
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2005, 07:56:13 PM »
Right, not a bad idea Andrew, thanks =)

You remember what it's like under there, now imagine without the rear on stands and trying to budge those bolts  :(
Andrew

2003 GTI
1992 GTI

s4josh

• Modded
Exhaust Leaks -Gotta GO!
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2005, 08:26:59 PM »
Bud's Muffler Service Inc
1010 Santa Fe Dr
Denver,  CO 80204
(303) 629-0934

They have been doing exhast for 50 years, they prolly fix the leaks quick.  They are also just right south of downtown on 10th and Santa Fe.
Josh Ver 2.0

2011 VW Jetta 2.5 SE DSG
2009 VW Jetta TDI 6sp man
2006 VW MkV GTI DSG w/LC
2005 VW Passat Wagon TDI-PD
2003 VW Jetta TDI-PD
2001 Audi B5.5 S4 6sp man

gragravar

• Supercar
Exhaust Leaks -Gotta GO!
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2005, 08:34:50 PM »
I have heard good things about that shop.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

KevB

• Lightly Modded
Exhaust Leaks -Gotta GO!
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2005, 08:50:57 PM »
House of Mufflers just east of I25 on Evans.  The installed an exhasut for me in the past and did a great job.

You might want to try Mineke, I've had then fix busted hangers before.  It took them very little time and only charged me a couple of bucks.

Kevin
evB
2003 Gti 1.8T

s4josh

• Modded
Exhaust Leaks -Gotta GO!
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2005, 09:00:39 PM »
Heres Bud's Muffler website.  

You can read up about them; if you like and take a look at some of the cars they work on.  Got pics of a full turbo back custom S4 exhast they did, ferrari's, bwm's, MB's, etc.  Those are under the "resent works" > "performance" section.

Bud's Muffler
Josh Ver 2.0

2011 VW Jetta 2.5 SE DSG
2009 VW Jetta TDI 6sp man
2006 VW MkV GTI DSG w/LC
2005 VW Passat Wagon TDI-PD
2003 VW Jetta TDI-PD
2001 Audi B5.5 S4 6sp man

• Heavily Modded
Exhaust Leaks -Gotta GO!
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2005, 10:28:41 PM »
Quote from: "s4josh"

They win. They were 5 minutes away and when i called they said come on down and we'll take a look. Nice guys there. They had a VR6 Corrado in the air working on its exhaust while I was there. 8)

They guy hit the bolts with a air gun and clamped them down. They went a tiny bit tighter but he said if he hit them with anything bigger he'd just snap the bolts. Good enough I suppose.

Thanks for the recomendation Josh!
Andrew

2003 GTI
1992 GTI

gragravar

• Supercar
Exhaust Leaks -Gotta GO!
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2005, 11:29:17 PM »
so did their little bit of extra tightening work or are there still leaks?  time to break out the welding equipment?

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
Exhaust Leaks -Gotta GO!
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2005, 02:56:46 PM »
Quote from: "34k"
Quote from: "s4josh"

They win. They were 5 minutes away and when i called they said come on down and we'll take a look. Nice guys there. They had a VR6 Corrado in the air working on its exhaust while I was there. 8)

They guy hit the bolts with a air gun and clamped them down. They went a tiny bit tighter but he said if he hit them with anything bigger he'd just snap the bolts. Good enough I suppose.

Thanks for the recomendation Josh!

Worse comes to worse, you can do what we did on mine. I still had a couple exhasut leaks after install so we used and exhaust sealant at the joints and then put new (better) clamps on.  I ended up using T-clamps on my exhaust to make sure that nothing leaked. That combines with the exhaust sealent made everything perfect.

Keep in mind after 3-4 weeks of driving you may need to tighten the clamps again. After the pipes expand and contract a few times the clamps might get loose since they are a different material then the exhaust and expand contract at different rates..