Author Topic: So I bought an M3  (Read 8490 times)

JDawg

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.VerTechGroup.com
So I bought an M3
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2005, 10:48:27 AM »
Quote from: "JETninja"

Whats the reliabilty of these M3's as a daily driver? Comfort? (my B5 had Softsports and Bilstiens, a tad stiff but worth it)  You've answered my Mod questions (sounds great!!!) hows the parts cost compared to VW/Audi prices? Since my budget is probably around $15K, any would be high mile ones. What things to look for? Are bushings replaceable or like a B5 does the entire CA need to be changed? Timing Belt or Chain? (or Gear?) Interval?  And good FAQ's?

I need a vehicle in the next week or 2, dieing with only one in a big family!

JET

So far the M3 has been flawless.  I have done a lot of engine testing, including a compression test I did last weekend.  All of the cylinders were within 3 PSI of each other, on an engine with 117K miles.  I do think that the car was driven moderate compared to how I drive it now.  There are some quarks to this car that may cause aggravation as a daily driver.  The steering wheel position and adjustability is horrible.  When driving this on the track and I have my helmet on, the wheel is very high because I have to put the seat so low.  Driving around town it took me a couple weeks to get used to it, and every time I get into the W8 I fall in love with the steering wheel again.  Shifting on a stock M3 is very rubbery.  You have to trust your knowledge of the gear locations because there is little feedback from the shifter as to what gear you are in.  That is why the common issue with these is over-revs; people have "money" shifted into 3rd instead of 5th or 1st instead of 3rd.  Itís called a money shift because usually it destroys your engine, costing a lot of money... :)  I have done this once at second creek already, but didn't let the revs get above 7,000 when I felt it slip into first.  Because of this issue, I am very careful about who drives it, until they understand this caveat.  Otherwise, my suspension is not stock, and is very stiff.  I bought the car for that reason, but it may be a little much for daily driver status.   I drive the M3 about 100 miles a day right now, and it doesn't bother me at all.  But my girlfriend shudders when I pull up in the car, because she is afraid her dental work may fall out during our drive... LOL   Anyways, I feel very confident that the M3 is a very reliable car, if it is very well taken care of.  You can drive it hard, it actually rewards you for doing that, but you must maintain it with great care.  For the money, it was the best platform for me, and I donít have to worry about turbo. That is my take so far.

For the FAQ check out [web]http://www.eurospeed.org/e36m3faq.pdf[/web]
esident RMCB5 MFD Expert!
Ask and ye shall receive!
(OEM Navigation system)

1995 BMW M3 - Sold
2003 Passat W8 6 Spd - Sold
2005 Audi S4 6 Spd Alcanterra - Sold
2007 BMW M-Coupe - I'm in love!

JDawg

• Lightly Modded
So I bought an M3
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2005, 10:57:30 AM »
Quote from: "Vanimaniac"
Jason, so how's the M3 coming along?

I haven't seen ya at any autocrosses yet?  :wink:

Van

Van!  Its been a while.  I was talking with Eric O about you a couple weeks ago.  You are right, I have not done any autocross yet.  I signed up with the BMWCCA chapter, but havn't checked out when I can get out to those events.  I don't think SCCA Solo 2 is going to happen this year.  If you have some information, I will absolutely come out there at the next event!  I was going to go out with Mike (god rest his soul) from SCR but couldn't do to other obligations that weekend.  

Take care,
Jason
(OEM Navigation system)

1995 BMW M3 - Sold

Rocky Mountain Club B5

So I bought an M3
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2005, 10:57:30 AM »

JDawg

• Lightly Modded
Re: Beautiful
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2005, 11:17:01 AM »
Quote from: "BHase"
Beautiful car! There's an identical one out here in St.  Louis: same year, same color, same interior, pretty much same condition as well.  I always eye it when I take my Sunday, salesperson-free trips to the local car dealerships to check what's out and what's new. It has been there for quite some time...ready for someone to snag it up! I'd say it was time for me to win the lottery, but that would be cliche and I don't play the lottery anyway.

I'm sure this is unnecessary, but make sure to keep showing what you do to it! Those old M3s are really cool.

Ben

Yeah, I know of one other 95 M3 for sale right now but the condition is completely different.  Most of the M3's you will find out there have been used very hard, been in accidents of some sort, and have been modified.  When I purchased this car, I was able to check most of the VIN tags on the bumper surround, panels, frame, body, engine, and everything is original.  This car was babied for the most part.

So far, I have made very few changes.  I upgraded the brake pads and rotors by installing Hawk HP Plus pads and Zimmerman cross drilled rotors.  The rotors have been a big disappointment because they cannot handle the heat generated during a track day, and they have since heat warped.  I am going to put solid rotors back on the front sometime soon.  I also put in HID's using the OEM lenses and a HID kit that was pre-installed.  I love the look of the car with the HID's, and once you have gotten used to them (they are stock in the W8) itís hard to drive without them.  I also removed a bunch of radio wiring changes and returned everything back to stock.  I have spent a lot of time conditioning the leather, to make sure it will last a lot longer.  It now feels like a baseball glove, itís amazing.  

My general theory is to make sure everything is stock, and that I understand the cars characteristics before I start making major changes to its setup.  The M3 already has HR sport springs, and billstein sport shocks all around.   It desperately needs an upgrade front sway bar, and the x-brace from the LTW M3.  Recently I have had little to no time for car modding, as life has been consuming me otherwise.   By the end of the summer I expect to have cams, intake, chip, high flow mass air flow sensor, exhaust, new tires (a couple sets) front sway bar, x-brace, short shifter, tranny stabilizers, and upgraded engine mounts.  That is a lot to handle, but I think I can get it all done.  By that point, this car will be ready for serious track driving, and auto crossing.  I am sooo excited to get it there!

Jason
(OEM Navigation system)

1995 BMW M3 - Sold

JETninja

• n00balicious
So I bought an M3
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2005, 12:55:01 PM »
Hey Jason, it's all your fault! (and mine for visiting and reading you thread!) LOL!. I've been doing lots of homework. The wife hates me! But I have a few I'm working on and one very nice B5. The M3's are all around 100k but I don't find that an issue if they have been well taken care of.

Something you should do ASAP, replace Tranny and Motor mounts, and get a Short Shit Kit, UUC's is one of the best. That will greatly improve the shifting feel and accuracy, and greatly lessen any "Money" shifts.

I also don't mind a modded or even tracked one, often they are the best taken care of. (specially tracked ones, they have to take care of them) Do your homework!

Are you aware of the Oil Pump Nut issue? Read the sticky at Bimmerforums E36 M3 forum, a serious issue!  Other common things to look at, Rear Shock tower mounts ($20) they must be inspected every 20-30K, Rear Swing Arm Bushings, Radiator (neck cracks...aftermarket Alum ones are much better), Thermostat Housing (original is plastic, get a metal one), all plastic water pumps (impellers) should have been replaced by now.  I'm finding most M3's are much better taken care then most 10yr old cars, of course there are plenty of salvage cars and misused ones, but many gems too. Read the Buying FAQ at Bimmerforums, use Autotrader, Craigslist, DTM Forums to find cars, Car Fax and lots of questions to narrow down your search. If your a member at Bimmer forums, it not unusual to ask a member to do a light check out of a out of state car for you. (unbelieveable Dakar Yellow '95 in Ohio right now, so tempting!)

Still not sure if I'll get one, my insurance takes a hike due to my accident, an M3 is jump over a Passat too. But man I want one! :D

JDawg

• Lightly Modded
So I bought an M3
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2005, 11:47:45 AM »
Thanks for pointing out the issues with the M3, and it confirms the issues I am aware of.  The previous owner has done most of the work, the rear show tower mounts, rear swing arm bushings; radiator neck has been replaced with an aluminum one, the water pump, and the oil nut issue.  

I just purchased a tranny stabilizer from BimmerWorld, which was recommended over the mounts.  I also purchased the Rouge engineering short shift kit, their shift knob and e-brake handle.  Man, does it look awesome!  I haven't installed the short shift yet, but it was recommended over the UUC product.  So, I am really excited about getting that on, along with the tranny stabilizer before it is used on the track day coming up.
(OEM Navigation system)

1995 BMW M3 - Sold

bigd

• n00balicious
So I bought an M3
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2005, 12:30:03 PM »
I got a chance to drive this thing over the weekend.  It was REALLY akward to get used to compared to my STi, i even stalled it 3 times trying to back it out because the clutch engagement is so deep.  Once I was settled into it and got situated, it was a blast..  super comfortable, nice work reconditioning the seats, btw..  I didn't rail on it hard, just let it open up and breathe out on 470.  The shifter is ridiculous, lol...  you've got like a 10 inch throw from 4th to 5th!  

J- if you want any help working on that thing, let me know.  (If i've got a free weekend I'd be happy to help, I'll bring the girl so the ladies can hang)
nyone can fire a bullet, few can actually steer it.

JDawg

• Lightly Modded
So I bought an M3
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2005, 12:37:12 PM »
Yeah, the shifting should get a huge upgrade this weekend, and I would love some help with it!  I am planning to work on it Saturday, because Gen will be working.  I also am replacing my front rotors with solid brembo's that should be here tomorrow.  I can't wait to get the warping issue resolved.  Other than that, I am thinking of doing some more engine testing, to see if there are any problems there.  If you want to come up and help, that would be awesome.  We could even do a little car detailing as well.
(OEM Navigation system)

1995 BMW M3 - Sold

bigd

• n00balicious
So I bought an M3
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2005, 04:47:29 PM »
sweet..  i'll be there!  give me a ring when you want to get started.

(303.931.7182)
nyone can fire a bullet, few can actually steer it.

JDawg

• Lightly Modded
So I bought an M3
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2005, 04:49:58 PM »
Awesome.  Hey Andrew 34k if you are watching, you are welcome to come by.  Can you get pads for the GTI by then?
(OEM Navigation system)

1995 BMW M3 - Sold

Rusty

• Lightly Modded
So I bought an M3
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2005, 12:08:18 PM »
Wow, I'm really out-of-touch.  Just saw this today.  Way-to-go, Jason! Beautiful car, great find, I'm jealous!  Will I get to see it for the Memorial weekend GTG?  I hope so.

Congrats, two thumbs up, and all that!
i]AEB Engines have better-flowing heads and a real throttle cable...[/i]

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
So I bought an M3
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2005, 12:15:37 PM »
Jason will be out of town that weekend.  I've been designated the driver of his car.  Apparently he feels alright about missing track day, but isn't alright if his M3 misses track day....seriously.  He had a prior obligation so he won't be there.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

JDawg

• Lightly Modded
So I bought an M3
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2005, 12:17:53 PM »
Unfortunately, I personally will not be at the GTG because I am flying out of town.  However, the M3 will be there as Pat is going to pick it up from my house and abuse it on the track.  I will be excited to hear the reports from everyone when I get back of their thoughts on how it performs.  I have not made any engine modifications yet, so I don't expect it to blow any doors off, but the rest of the car is pretty capable and should prove to be a fun ride.
(OEM Navigation system)

1995 BMW M3 - Sold

gragravar

• Supercar
So I bought an M3
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2005, 01:06:31 PM »
Quote from: "JDawg"
Unfortunately, I personally will not be at the GTG because I am flying out of town.  However, the M3 will be there as Pat is going to pick it up from my house and abuse it on the track.  I will be excited to hear the reports from everyone when I get back of their thoughts on how it performs.  I have not made any engine modifications yet, so I don't expect it to blow any doors off, but the rest of the car is pretty capable and should prove to be a fun ride.

It is good that it will be there.  I should have the wife's 330i out there for part of the day again too.  so, we should get in a good comparison between the E36 M3 and the E46 330i  I think stock was only about 10hp apart.  hmmmm.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
So I bought an M3
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2005, 01:08:34 PM »
I doubt the diference will be power.  Jason's car brakes better than any other car I've driven.  I think he'll have ultra-sticky tires on it, too.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

gragravar

• Supercar
So I bought an M3
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2005, 01:10:20 PM »
2 weeks and we'll find out.   :D
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

Rusty

• Lightly Modded
So I bought an M3
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2005, 12:31:18 PM »
Cool.  Wow, you guys must be uber-brothers or something, it is a big thing to be trusted with someone else's M3... did you do the thing with the knife and the blood?... *grin*

Sorry to miss you Jason - catch ya next time...
i]AEB Engines have better-flowing heads and a real throttle cable...[/i]

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
So I bought an M3
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2005, 12:56:12 PM »
Trust...or stupidity.  :wink:   We'll find out on track day. :lol:
-Chuck Patterson

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.tw34k.com
So I bought an M3
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2005, 01:12:41 PM »
Quote from: "DenverPat"
Trust...or stupidity.  :wink:   We'll find out on track day. :lol:

LMAO!

Yeah, that thing brakes like you wouldn't believe. Wooga!

Thanks again for the space to play with pads and wash the ride on Saturday, Jason, and of course, for your hands and thoughts Pat.
Andrew

Truth has no place in a culture of advertising.
2003 GTI
1992 GTI

JDawg

• Lightly Modded
So I bought an M3
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2005, 01:31:57 PM »
New Mods! :)

With the help of Dave, Pat and Andrew we installed a Rouge Engineering short shift kit, with weighted selector rod.  This GREATLY improved the shifting characteristics of the M3, and I am completely satisfied with the results.  The install was fairly simple, but because of the design it is very difficult to remove the parts, and you are not able to see what you are working on.

We also replaced the front rotors with an OEM Brembo solid rotor, and now the rotor warping issue is resolved.  The Zimmerman cross drilled rotors were the first set of rotors I have seen that were actually heat warped.  You can see the run out with your eyes just spinning them on the car, or rock the rotors back and forth on the ground when they are laying flat.  So I am glad that now when I brake the wheel doesn't shudder, and it doesn't feel like the car is going to fall apart.

What is next?  Well I am still debating on which engine mods I want to tackle.  I think this year I will try to run BS in the local BMW CCA autocross events, and to do that I cannot do cams yet.  I can modify the air intake, the mass air flow sensor, add a chip, remove the mechanical fan, and possibly do exhaust.  That should keep me busy for the next couple months.  

I am also waiting to receive my tranny stabilizer that should resolve the very dangerous mis-shifting issue.  When we were under the car this weekend, I looked that the current transmission mounts and could clearly see why the transmission moves so much.  I should have that installed within the next month.

Thatís it for now!
Jason
(OEM Navigation system)

1995 BMW M3 - Sold

JETninja

• n00balicious
So I bought an M3
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2005, 11:07:09 PM »
Jason!

Had to share with you the M3 I picked last week, it's been a month long process getting it, finally flew out to AZ and drove her home. She was owned by a Nasa High Performance/Racing Instructor and general car nut. (sold so he can get another degree, though he get another I feel soon) She was built for tracking and daily driving.

'95 Hellrot Red, 97K

Mods:

Engine/Tranny:

Active Autowerk Euro HFM Kit including: AA Intake, 3.5" Euro HFM w/reducer, 21.5# injectors, and software (still need to install, had to smog first)
Active Autowerk Gen III Exhaust
URI crank pulley (has been on the vehicle for about 3,000 miles)
New Lifters @ 93K (3 were noisy, replaced all), Gaskets, etc
New Oil Pump, Gaskets, etc. (Red Locktighted Nut too!)
UUC Red Tranny mounts with Enforcement plates
BMW M-Tech shift knob

Suspension:

Koni SA shocks
Vogtland Club Spec springs (great daily drive/track weekend setup)
Turnermotorsport fully adjustable sway bars front and rear
Turnermotorsport rear camber arms
Turnermotorsport front camber shim kit
BMW Motorsport x-brace
Ground Control Rear Shock Tower mounts at 75K miles
RSABís Replaced at inspection II by dealer 68K miles w/Ground Control Enforcement shims
H&R 5mm spacers (for use with track tires/wheels)
Aligned front: -2.6 degrees camber, 0 toe rear: -1.5 degrees camber, 1/8 toe in
(I have very good experience with these alignment settings, both on the track and in street driving/wear characteristics)
Euro Front Rotors/Cobalt GT front pads, OE Rear Rotor w/Axis Ultimates. Goodridge SS lines, ATE Super Blue Fluid

Other:

(fenders rolled for no rubbing)
Staggered 7.5Ē/8.5Ē Stock M-Spoke II wheels with Dunlop Super Sport DOT legal Race tires 245/40/17 They are massive sticky gumballs! (His street tires were 255/35/18 on BBS RGR's which I could not afford! The Race tires are 1" wider then those!)
Carbon LTW front lip
Euro ZKW OEM Glass front lights with 5000K Philips HID Ballast/Osram Bulbs
Blacked out fog lights (have all wiring for fogs...and one good fog light)
Alpine 9835 headunit (glows amber)
Pioneer PRS x340 amplifier, Pioneer Kevlar series front components/crossovers
JL Audio Stealthboxes
New Windshield
Cover
Half Bra (for Track Days)

Currently the rollbars are set at full stiff, front Koni's at full stiff, rears at 3/4's. Perfectly nuetral, but way to stiff for some of our SoCal POS freeways, I look to back off the the sways and shocks to take a little edge off soon. It's currently running some chip (forget who's..) the Exhaust, and the Pulley. (and the bigger injectors, one of the stockers was busted.) It passed CA smog that way (barely!) I need to get a Euro AIrbox for the future. I still need to install the AA Euro kit, but as is it's incredibly strong.  Has Dove Grey Vaders and feels like a snorting go-cart! And I get 27+ MPG driving to work! LOL!

The body is straight, a couple clear coat marks, a number of chips as expected. The wheels were painted black for track use, (hide dust) I plan to get them back to the alloy color that I like.

I'll post a pic sometime, she's mean and freaking low. I hope to pick up another set of wheels/tires soon and save these for future track days and maybe an Auto-X or two. We'll see!  Thanks ever so much for turning me on to them, so glad I bumped in here. It's killer to have a rear drive car again, and power and torque is unreal.

ps, got her for $14,500! :D

Cheers!

edit, let me see if these pics work. This is one from the prev owner, (with the BBS's) Imagine it with black M-Spoke II's...Mean!

JETninja

• n00balicious
So I bought an M3
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2005, 02:49:03 PM »
Jason, another '95 specific issue to be aware of, check it out!!!!!:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=390209

Also, when you say "solid brembo rotors" do you actually mean non-vented? I can't imagine that being a great thing. I'm running the Euro full floating rotors up front...Alum Hat..very light and effective with Cobalt GT's up there. Big $$$ though and I need to replace them this after the summer.

Cheers!