Author Topic: Finally installed the LW crank pulley...  (Read 1551 times)

Chas

• Modded
Finally installed the LW crank pulley...
« on: March 21, 2005, 07:16:26 PM »
It's been over a year since I ordered the Light Wieght crank pulley from ASP. But to tell the truth, some of that time wasn't my fault. The first pulley from ASP didn't fit at all. It seems there is one slight difference in the engines from the Audi A4 and the VW Passat 1.8T, the crank pulley. Or at least that's what ASP said. But trut to their word, they took back the ill fitting unit and sent me another one.

So there it sat, for another 6 or 7 months untill this past Saturday. I couldn't stand the squeeking noise coming from one of the new belts I had installed last March when I did my Timing belt/tennsioner change out. That's when I found out the first ASP pulley wouldn't bolt up to the crank. So I replaced the offending belt and while I was there, with the whole front end of my car off. I replaced the pulley.

It's a nice improvement! Like loosing a bunch of wieght from the car. The engine revs up a little faster and over all seems "free to rev." I like it and it was worth the over due wait.

Now I will tell you that after a long day with several distractions throughout the day I did have a couple of "rookie like" mistakes. After buttoning everything back up and replacing all the bolts, screws, and washers in their propper spots I had two thing pop right up and slap me in the face. Hard!

First, there was the battery light on in the dash. Hmmmm... I didn't disconnect any battery cables. Though the book probably tells you to somewhere when doing this kind of job.

Secondly and more importantly, my power steering wasn't working. CRAP!!!!! I did notice a small spot of light wieght oil gathered on the garage floor right under the power steering unit fill tank. Hmmmm...

So what was up? Why are these two thing even remotely connected?

Simple, the serpinteen belt that the altinator and power steering pump are both driven off of was not connected around the tennsioner propperly!!!!
Aaaaarrrrggghhhhh!!!!!!!

Well that was easy enough to remedy. But now why weren't my HIDs not working?  8O  8O

Well, the only thing I can think of was that in the time that the battery was not being charged by the altinator the surge from the ignitors on the battery caused the 10 amp fuses that I should have changed out to 15 amp fuses to pop. Simple enough to fix, but in that few minutes of shear panic that I had somehow screwed up my new and way cool HIDs fell on me like a heavy, wet and cold blanket, I just about died that I was going to have to tell my wife that little bit of news. NO F'ing WAY was I going to tell her that one. Especially after telling her that the car's power steering was all jacked up and I didn't know why yet. Sometimes it's better to keep a few things to yourself.

In the end, everything worked the way it was suppose to and the car has a new found pep.

It was good day, in the end...  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :?

ps. I was driving the car around today and it has really adapted to the pulley nicely. Lots of new grunt and I am finding it easier to pull away from a stop. There is a lot less need to feather the clutch because the turbo hasn't fully spooled to stop it from stalling. That's a nice little benny!  8)  :lol:  8)  :lol:
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
Some Sedans haul families,
this one hauls ASS!

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2005, 07:23:53 PM »
Good call. Glad you finally got it installed and working well!
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2005, 07:23:53 PM »

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2005, 03:08:04 PM »
I really like mine too, and it did sit in my closet for a while before I got it installed, albeit by a garage.  I had this installed along with a snub mount and an electronic engine fan and the improvements were very nice -- feels lighter, more responsive and more acceleration power (or at least it feels that way).  

Chas, I think your car is telling you something: stop molesting me under the hood!
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

Chas

• Modded
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2005, 03:41:37 PM »
It's not saying that Alan. Not at all! It really likes the new pulley. I got the raw aluminum finished one so it's a shiny bit for the engine. Shiny bits add more HP!!!  :wink:  :roll:  

I'm finding that the engine really likes getting rid of that wieght. It's a nice little boost in HPs!! And not just at the low end either. I can stomp on it in third gear and feel a difference. Passing other cars is a little bit easier now. It was never a problem before, but who doesn't like more HP?

It's a worth while mod. A bit of a pain in the ass to install, but in the end, worth it.  8)  :)

Also, the tubes came in for my CAI that I'm building. One of the tubes is a lot bigger than I thought it would be and I'm not so sure that it's going to look just like the ABD unit. I may have to make a few changes. But still it'll be cool!
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
Some Sedans haul families,
this one hauls ASS!

Eric

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.setuning.com
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2005, 05:47:55 PM »
awesome bro. how much did it cost?

E