Author Topic: Do Your Tyre Homework!  (Read 1587 times)

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.tw34k.com
Do Your Tyre Homework!
« on: March 21, 2005, 06:22:38 PM »
I went into Discount Tire to get a nail pulled out of one of my old summer tyres that wouldn't hold air. When they pulled the tyre they showed me inside and there was significant wear around the inside lining where the wheel had pushed out on the tyre. Well crap, but no biggie, I was planning on new rubber in the next month or so, so i asked him how much out the door for 225/40/18 Kumho MXs. He quoted me $867.97! I gave him one of these:  8O with just enough  :? mixed in. I politely verified that I had asked for Kumho MXs and not Pilot Sports and he said no, that's the right price. I then explained that TireRack had the same tyres for almost half that price and he gave me one of these  :oops: and said, "...oh..." He pulled up the site and verified that yes, $108/tyre was indeed what they were charging and his prices were PAINFULLY high. In the end, he gave me the tyres for $136/each including mounting, balancing, stems and road hazzard.

Discount Tire: $544 out the door.

Tirerack: $549 (not including mounting, balancing or stems) so... add $50-$75 for out the door for TireRack.

For a total savings of $324 from their original quote and $55-$80 from TireRack.

Of course the lesson is... DO YOUR TYRE HOMEWORK! If I had not been informed, I could have EASILY spent that 324 dollars. Now granted, this is an extreme example, but go ahead and save yourself 20-50 bucks with a few clicks and have a beer on me!
Andrew

Truth has no place in a culture of advertising.
2003 GTI
1992 GTI

KevB

• Lightly Modded
Do Your Tyre Homework!
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2005, 06:27:44 PM »
Holy crap!!  Thanks for the info on that, I knew that you might pay more at the store versus online, but that's nuts.

Hope you enjoy the new kumho's.

Kevin
evB
2003 Gti 1.8T

Rocky Mountain Club B5

Do Your Tyre Homework!
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2005, 06:27:44 PM »

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Do Your Tyre Homework!
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2005, 07:12:48 PM »
seriously, Andrew, you are sooooo right.  I always print up tire prices from other companies before going into a discount, they are ALWAYS willing to work with you.  Good call on that one, now you have that much more money for other mods.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Do Your Tyre Homework!
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2005, 07:20:19 PM »
In the past couple weeks, I've called the same DT as well as other establishments and DT has been the highest priced with the same run-around every time. I got three different prices from the same Discount Tire!
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

• Heavily Modded
Do Your Tyre Homework!
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2005, 07:48:52 PM »
Quote from: "jayryan"
In the past couple weeks, I've called the same DT as well as other establishments and DT has been the highest priced with the same run-around every time. I got three different prices from the same Discount Tire!

They have quite a bit of flexibility in their pricing as noted above. I doubt you will find the best prices by calling. You're more likely to find your best prices online, then print them out like Jon said. Show the guys in the store that you can beat their prices (don't forget to include shipping) and by how much and then start haggling. They want your sales and they'll do a lot to get it.

Don't let them talk you out of a tire you know you want, or convince you that a different tire of lesser quality is "just as good". One of the guys there tried to sell me on a set of "all-season performance tyres" that they had in stock  :roll:
Andrew

2003 GTI
1992 GTI

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
Do Your Tyre Homework!
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2005, 07:54:19 PM »
"...all season performance tires."   :roll:  :lol:
I've heard tons of good things about those tires.   I'll be interested to see what you think of them.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

KevB

• Lightly Modded
Do Your Tyre Homework!
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2005, 08:51:57 PM »
I just called to get a quote on the tires I'm planning on buying.  Told the guy straight up what I wanted and that I could get them for $105 online.  He was pretty cool, but tried to convince me to buy Kumho ASX's, I told him I didn't want all-seasons and he left it alone.  
I guess Discount Tire buys some of thier tires through tirerack.com and can get better pricing, just for those who may not have known, I just found out myself.  
I'm going to save about $40 over buying them online and then paying for shipping, mounting and balancing.

Kevin
evB
2003 Gti 1.8T

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Do Your Tyre Homework!
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2005, 09:38:42 PM »
You know Andrew, I had the same thing happen to me.  I had a list of several tires I wanted, DT was higher than TireRack, I called them on it and they gave me even better quotes including mounting and balancing than I could get from TireRack for just the tires and shipping.

In the end, I even went with a tire that they didn't carry, but they ordered them from TR while I was there and gave me a great quote for mounting, balancing and a replacement warranty.

I have been a loyal customer of the same store for a while and they have all of my history every time I go in.  They are very willing to work with me because of that.  I know my stuff and they know it.  They even gave me a free set of hub-centric rings the last time I was there as the last ones I bought from them wore out...
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

• Heavily Modded
Do Your Tyre Homework!
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2005, 09:52:54 PM »
OT, but: Winston... Every time i see your signature i crack a smile.
Andrew

2003 GTI
1992 GTI

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Do Your Tyre Homework!
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2005, 10:01:34 PM »
Quote from: "34k"
OT, but: Winston... Every time i see your signature i crack a smile.

I knew you would dig it.  I half expected a rise out of Jay too...
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.