Author Topic: Some Bump in the Trunk?  (Read 1938 times)

Scuba2001

• Modded
Some Bump in the Trunk?
« on: March 23, 2005, 02:04:58 PM »
The time has come to fully replace and upgrade the audio in the Passat.  All of the stuff can be seen below.  Lemme know what you guys think so far.  BTW, some of it is installed, such as the amps, and most of the wiring.  Im still waiting on the subs to come in, along with a new harness for the new Kenwood headunit.

Lemme know fellas.

CDT Component Speakers w/ 1" tweeters and crossovers

Custom Sub Enclosures, built by Stlb5 from CB5/PW/T-region

Elemental Designs 11Kv.2 10" Subs (waiting, on backorder)

Elemental Designs NINe.1 900 watt RMS (2 Ohm) Sub Amp

Elemental Designs NINe.2 150 watt RMS (2 Ohm) Comp Amp

Rockford Fostgate wiring and other misc accessories

Kenwood Satellite Radio Tuner and Reciever

Kenwood Xcelon X769 Headunit (Sirius Ready)

Speaker grilles

Passenger side enclosure

Drivers side enclosure

coveredbytheblood

• Heavily Modded
Some Bump in the Trunk?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2005, 02:09:05 PM »
Steve.  You are the MAN!!  I am so missing my bump bump.   :cry: :cry:  :cry:

Soon enough mine should be replaced.  Those enclosures and setup that you are installing looks very very clean.  Have fun man.
Coveredbytheblood, JC's blood

Rocky Mountain Club B5

Some Bump in the Trunk?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2005, 02:09:05 PM »

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
Some Bump in the Trunk?
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2005, 09:28:59 PM »
Very nice!.  I wish there was a way we could hear it when it is all done.  You will have to post some pics whe everything is installed.

Also, not to highjack, but how are the CPP control arms holding up?
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

Scuba2001

• Modded
Some Bump in the Trunk?
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2005, 11:26:07 PM »
Quote from: "StarlightB5"
Very nice!.  I wish there was a way we could hear it when it is all done.  You will have to post some pics whe everything is installed.

Also, not to highjack, but how are the CPP control arms holding up?

I'll post up tons of pics.  I installed the boxes tonight and they look really nice.  Perfect fit all around.

The arms are holding up.  Have some looseness in them already.

tweakeDub

• Lightly Modded
    • http://
Some Bump in the Trunk?
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2005, 11:42:38 PM »
Looks great, some really good stuff there....I cant wait until I can get my 10' W7 going again

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Some Bump in the Trunk?
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2005, 10:39:19 AM »
Steve, why are you using the  separate Sirius tuner/receiver with a Sirius ready HU?
The Kenwood has the tuner/receiver built-in. That's why it's "Sirius Ready"
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Scuba2001

• Modded
Some Bump in the Trunk?
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2005, 02:44:59 PM »
Quote from: "jayryan"
Steve, why are you using the  separate Sirius tuner/receiver with a Sirius ready HU?
The Kenwood has the tuner/receiver built-in. That's why it's "Sirius Ready"

The seperate unit is only used while I have the stock headunit.  Once I get the new headunit installed the display will be gone for the seperate unit, along with the RF modulator peice.

Scuba2001

• Modded
Some Bump in the Trunk?
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2005, 01:27:58 PM »
I got the new wiring harness from UPS yesterday.  Everything was installed and is working great.  The sound output through the stock components and tweeters right now kinda suck.  Im just really hoping that with the new comps and new subs that the sound with the Kenwood HU will be clean and crisp.

Time will tell.

Scuba2001

• Modded
Some Bump in the Trunk?
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2005, 02:54:22 PM »
Thought I would give this thread a little bump with a few updates.

The new headunit is all installed and working great.  Tons and tons of things to adjust and program with the different settings and all.

The subs arrived at my parents house last Wednesday.  Picked them up from there, and then started messing around and getting them mounted into the new enclosures.  Came across some issues where the mounting rings weren't big enough to fit the frame base of the subs.  Took quite a bit of work with the Dremel, but everything came together just fine.  Siliconed the openings up, and mounted everything in nicely.

I started some of the wiring.  What a mess and what a big job this has turned out to be.  Sunday afternoon, I started breaking interior panels just trying to run the rca cables from the headunit to the amps.  Stopped when I broke too many things.  Moved onto getting the crossovers and tweeters mounted in the front doors.  I was able to use the stock tweeter sails, tight fit, but it works good enough.

I still have to finish the wiring from the comp amp to the crossovers, and then fabricate a mounting ring for the 6.5" component speakers.  So, Im out to look for some stuff to figure out what I can do with that.

Pictures and such will be loaded once I have internet access at the new house.