Author Topic: Will these fit, can I mod??  (Read 2423 times)

coveredbytheblood

• Heavily Modded
Will these fit, can I mod??
« on: March 24, 2005, 12:39:56 AM »
I want to buy some 1997 Mark 3 seats.  Will they fit my Mark 4, or is there a way to get seat brackets from the mark 3 and switch them with mine to make them work????
Coveredbytheblood, JC's blood

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2005, 03:31:26 AM »
Any thing can be done, just depends on how much you want to spend to make it work. Haveing brackets fabed wouldent be cheep. Check summit they have some nice looking seats for an afordable price.
No time for love, Dr. Jones.

Losers make excuses. Winners make it happen.

"and function, FUNCITON is the key" 
Fugazi

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2005, 03:31:26 AM »

coveredbytheblood

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2005, 03:38:14 AM »
Summit??  I am not familiar with this place...
So then you think the seats wont just swap out??

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2005, 03:40:10 AM »
I have no idea if they would fit, but you could have the seller take a pic of the mounting bracket under the new one and send it to you.  then you could pull one of yours out to get an idea of how they compare.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

coveredbytheblood

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2005, 03:54:33 AM »
Good call andrew.  I will also call Mountain States tomorrow and ask the car experts...   :lol:  :lol:

Scuba2001

• Modded
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2005, 10:26:11 AM »
I think the issue you are going to run into is the way that the seats are adjusted and the width of the seat.  IMO, these Mk3 seats arent an "upgrade", so to speak, to the Mk4 seats.  Yes, they may have a litle more support, but the seats you are probably talking about in the classifieds craiglist have tears, stains, and would be more work then what its worth.

When you think about this, it would really only be cost effective to save your money and get a nice Konig seat that come in the R32's which would be a more direct swap.  I found a shop here in the US that is able to source the Konig seats for about 500-600 iirc with brackets.  They dont have airbags, and they wont have the "R" logo on them since thats a VW trademark, but you get the seat, with intergrated racing harness holes for a much nicer price with less work.

Just a thought man.

Steve

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.tw34k.com
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2005, 02:14:50 PM »
I agree with Steve. I'd wait and do it right. A little while ago, the only thing holding you back to getting a more agressive seat is the heatable option. Since this appears to no longer be an issue as you're looking at mk3 seats, I'd look into a good aftermarket one.

We gotta find you a local tuning shop with some seats in their showroom, heh.

Plus, remember, if money is an issue (and when isn't it?) you only NEED one right now. You can always pick up the matching passenger seat later!

Just my .02  :D
Andrew

Truth has no place in a culture of advertising.
2003 GTI
1992 GTI

coveredbytheblood

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2005, 02:20:22 PM »
I love you guys.  Helping me keep my head on straight.   :lol:  :cry:

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2005, 03:47:19 PM »
Quote from: "Scuba2001"
I found a shop here in the US that is able to source the Konig seats for about 500-600 iirc with brackets.  They dont have airbags, and they wont have the "R" logo on them since thats a VW trademark, but you get the seat, with intergrated racing harness holes for a much nicer price with less work.

Where!!!!!  I need a new seat.  Mine has a nice hole in it form the seat heater :evil:
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.tw34k.com
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2005, 03:56:03 PM »
Quote from: "kraut-sled"
I found a shop here in the US that is able to source the Konig seats for about 500-600 iirc with brackets..

Where!!!!!  I need a new seat.  Mine has a nice hole in it form the seat heater :evil:

I've heard a lot about this problem, isn't Volkswagen addressing it?
Andrew

Truth has no place in a culture of advertising.
2003 GTI
1992 GTI

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2005, 04:12:30 PM »
Quote from: "coveredbytheblood"

so does this mean I am back to attempting to fashion these available ones into office furniture?  they would be kind of cool to sit in for racing games at the computer.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

coveredbytheblood

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2005, 04:45:48 PM »
Quote from: "gragravar"
Quote from: "coveredbytheblood"

so does this mean I am back to attempting to fashion these available ones into office furniture?  they would be kind of cool to sit in for racing games at the computer.

I concede.  He lives closer to you anyway.  :D

Scuba2001

• Modded
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2005, 05:01:28 PM »
Quote from: "kraut-sled"
I found a shop here in the US that is able to source the Konig seats for about 500-600 iirc with brackets.  They dont have airbags, and they wont have the "R" logo on them since thats a VW trademark, but you get the seat, with intergrated racing harness holes for a much nicer price with less work.

Ill see if I can dig through some old Vortex posts and some old emails and find them.  They are the same spec as the OE R32 seats, just without the fancy stuff.  BTW, these Konig seats can be had with custom leather, and a heated option at an additional cost.

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2005, 05:43:42 PM »
I found a shop here in the US that is able to source the Konig seats for about 500-600 iirc with brackets.  

8O  8O

These are the summit seats I was refering too, I have actually sat in one and I was extreamly impressed.

Summit Seats

EDIT: for some reason I cant get it to link right to the page so click on the link above and scroll down twards the bottom of the page and you will see "Summit Sport Seats" the summit part number is SUM-G1159.
No time for love, Dr. Jones.

Losers make excuses. Winners make it happen.

"and function, FUNCITON is the key" 
Fugazi