Author Topic: adding 9th speaker to Monsoon system?  (Read 1644 times)

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
adding 9th speaker to Monsoon system?
« on: March 24, 2005, 05:09:22 AM »
I would like to add a small- or medium-sized speaker in the middle of the rear window deck to better balance the sound to my Monsoon system -- all of the 8 speakers are located forward of the front half of the rear doors.  I already adjusted the fade to level 3 towards the rear which helps the sound quality a lot.
It seems like an ideal location since there's enough room to work with, the rear glass would provide a nice reflection of sound and access to the amp is fairly short and easy to get to.

Though I'm pretty familiar with hooking up a home theatre system, I'm not too sure what's involved in doing this mod.  I would like to tap into both the right and left channels of the rear speaker outputs for proper balance, but I'm not too sure what kind of speaker and materials are involved.  Is there a speaker that has 4 terminals to do this?  I assume the Monsoon amp is located at the passenger side top of the trunk interior (in the metal slotted box).

Any suggestions/opinions?
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

coveredbytheblood

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2005, 12:58:55 PM »
Hmmm.  What did you want the speaker to do?  Did you want it to be like the 6.5 and provide Hi's, Mid's, and Low's?  If you did not want it to be strictly BOOM BOOM BASS!  Then I would do something like a 6X9, or maybe even another 6.5.  Most speakers come in pairs, dont know if you can buy them seperate.  As far as the wiring with the amp.  Have fun with that.  If you can read a wiring diagram and cant find it on the internet.  Mountain States motors hooked me up with one and you could probably get yourself one too.  You could just forget the whole amp thing and splice into the wires coming into your rear speakers and run the wires to the new ones.  That is what I would do.  I have done a fair amount of this stuff.  I actually rewired and installed new speakers in the GO, the amp being involved in mine was not an option though....  <stupid install guys>  If you want help.  Let me know.
Coveredbytheblood, JC's blood

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2005, 12:58:55 PM »

JDawg

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.VerTechGroup.com
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005, 03:19:30 AM »
Alan,

I am going to warn you know, the Monsoon system is very voodooish.  I would recommend a sayounce before starting this project, and have your car blessed.  Basically, the system is comprised of an eight-channel amplifier that is receiving a signal from your head unit.  The amp sends out the low frequencies to the mid/low speakers, and uses separate channels for the highs.  So to get full range sound, you would need to combine the two channels of each left and right to recreate the full signal.  

Honestly, the system is difficult to work with.  I have all the schematics and would be happy to help you.  If it were me, I would not tap the wires directly, but remove the pins from the wiring harness in the amp, and solder to them directly using the special pin removal tools.  This will help to make sure you are using the correct signal, and will remain OEM looking as well.  VW and Audi use a double helix twist in their wiring for noise cancellation purposes, and to replicate this I highly recommend either purchasing high grade car stereo wire, or use CAT5E or CAT6 cable from which the sheath is removed.  It is high-grade copper, with the correct twist pattern and is about the correct wire size as well.  

Does this help?
esident RMCB5 MFD Expert!
Ask and ye shall receive!
(OEM Navigation system)

1995 BMW M3 - Sold
2003 Passat W8 6 Spd - Sold
2005 Audi S4 6 Spd Alcanterra - Sold
2007 BMW M-Coupe - I'm in love!

JDawg

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2005, 03:22:28 AM »
The other option would be to not use the Monsoon amp for your 9th speaker.  Basically, you can run that speaker off a separate single channel amplifier that is receiving its signal from the headunit as well.  This would be the easiest and possibly best sounding solution, and you can find good amps for relatively little $$$
(OEM Navigation system)

1995 BMW M3 - Sold

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2005, 10:21:35 PM »
hmmm.
I'm not unhappy with my current Monsoon setup, I just wanted to see if I could improve it even more with relatively little work.
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

JDawg

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2005, 11:18:08 PM »
Well, "relative" is relative.  I think this would take a few hours to complete.  The other problem is the mounting of the new speaker, so that may prevent you from doing it at all, because of the way the rear deck is designed.
(OEM Navigation system)

1995 BMW M3 - Sold